There are now 38 children in their care and this number is rising. Nearly all children have some form of mental and/or physical handicap. They live with the very basics due to the number of children needing help and the local environment. Daily power cuts, restricted access to water supply and lack of toilet sanitation as we know it are just some of the daily challenges. My goal is to bring them much needed supplies such as toys, rehabilitation equipment, personal hygiene supplies as well as clothes. I also want to make happy moments for the children as their days are often based around washing and feeding.
The last trip was done with a great friend of mine Caroline Sowden and she hopes to come again.
The money I hope to raise will:
1. Finance for a new employee whose role is to be a Happiness Therapist. This gives the children one-to-one time to be stimulated.
2. Support the small kindergarten class that is on the compound current teaching 44 children from age 4-6 from very poor families in the area. The support will include general teaching/student supplies, improve the class room to be more stimulating and provide on-site teaching when there.
3. Hold a party for all the children and other people staying in the compound. This is 200 people who are mentally and/or handicapped with no place to go, single mothers shelter and their children and of course the orphans.
4. Source a projector to create a communal watching space.
5. With the help of the weaving and sewing single Mother’s groups, create a range of products that can be resold with the intention to support 100% the women and children.
6. If there is any excess in terms of fundraising, I want to fund the building of a small home for one of the ladies living in the orphanage compound who is handicapped and is in a wheel chair. She helps the children with their daily care. By building her a home, an accommodation space is freed up for another lady who otherwise would be on the street. The home would cost 5000€.
If you want to know more about what I have done in the past then please look at my Facebook page @challengers on a mission -with great love. To give you an idea of who I am, my name is Heather. I am 43 years old, 1/2 American 1/2 English married to a French man, living in France. I have 3 amazing children, Logan 13, Tomas 10 and Loeiz 9. My son Tomas was adopted from this orphanage when he was 8 months old. I now teach yoga to adults and kids and do what to can to help.
In the past I have always financed my own trips but due to my family circumstances this year the money raised will pay towards the airfare and basic accommodation. I will do my best to fund from my yoga teacher earnings.
DonationsSee top donations
- Jane Van Den Broeke
- Becky Owen
- Angie Killus
- Marissa Ithurbide
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more