Tehuiste Abajo and Tehuiste Arriba are neighboring villages in La Paz, El Salvador, and the 150 families living there are in desperate need of not only water filters but also access to water in general as their water source, the river, is dry six months of the year. A locally elected water committee has organized to face this issue.
However, while Ciudad de Angeles and the Tehuiste Water Committee are working on this grand project, the families of the community are still drinking unfiltered water straight from a contaminated river. Their "filters" consist of scrap cloths used to strain organic materials and trash from the river water.
In collaboration with the CIS (Centro de Intercambio y Solidaridad), Ciudad de Angeles is fundraising for water filters because many people in El Salvador, especially children, still die from amoebic dysentery and related diseases, and many families cannot afford the medicine or treatment to cure water borne illnesses such as amoebas, bacteria, giardia, e coli, fungus, colitis, and cancer, which can be debilitating and lead to death.
An $85 donation will provide a family with access to clean water for 10 years, including:
1. A SAWYER water filter and two buckets to accompany filter
2. Transportation of promoter to communities-organization, 2 workshops, home visits, evaluation
3. Popular education workshops to demonstrate the importance and proper use and maintenance of the filter, how to avoid contaminating water sources, and conduct follow-up with the communities, to ensure ongoing use and overcome obstacles
4. Medical exam of one family member before and after filter use and treatment
5. Written materials, including an illustrated step-by-step guide to a family's access to clean water.
Each family contributes $10 for ownership of their filter and water education.
Facebook: Ciudad de Angeles
DonationsSee top donations
- Sue Cessna
- Sarah Kazy
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more