CoderDojo Toronto Spring Fundraiser
CoderDojo Toronto Toronto, ON
CoderDojo introduces young people to the joy of computing with fun, free to attend workshops.
We work with community organizations to break down barriers of access to computer literacy programs, creating positive environments for learners and volunteers. Challenging social and economic stereotypes, CoderDojo groups are empowering youth to shape their world through code.
Why we teach code
Because it's fun. It's good for the brain. And it is changing our world. Coding skills can help people to tell stories, solve problems, build businesses and have a seat at the table in digital future.
We also acknowledge that not every child has equal opportunities to learn code. Girls and young women represent less than 1/3 of computer science positions. Limited access to computers impacts under-represented groups' ability to of benefit from a job-market hungry for coders. Coding skills will be an important part of many future jobs, and will empower entrepreneurs to succeed in the DIY marketing world of the Internet.
This year we are working with branches of the Toronto Public Library to bring code mentorship to more locations in the GTA.
For that, we are raising funds to:
- Have printed workbooks available for use at sessions
- Have those workbooks accessable for new groups to easily get started
- Create more resources in different areas of study
- Have laptops, tabets, and arduino boards available to learners who otherwise cannot participate
- Provide rewarding coffee and snacks for our volunteers, parents, and hard working learners
CoderDojo cannot run without strong community partnerships. As a not-for-profit organization (under FullStack Conference), we are looking for organizations who are interested in partnering with CoderDojo Toronto to:
- Lead workshops and develop learning material and curriculum based on their own areas of expertise
- Increase mentor volunteerism through partnerships
- Provide printing of learning materials
- Provide hardware or software for learning purposes
Thank you for supporting CoderDojo groups in working to achieve the vision of a world where every child has the opportunity to learn to code and be creative in a safe and social environment!
All funds raised here are put directly toward events and resources that have a real world impact on how youth gain access to computer education in Toronto.