European Activists for Youth Rights
This is the world that we, young European activists, dream about. This is the world we fight for! If you want to support our vision and the work that we do, join this crowdfunding campaign to help us sustain our youth-led network.
Who we are?
YouAct is an entirely youth-led, independent NGO working to support young people in advocating for their Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) in Europe. Our organization connects youth activists, engaged as volunteers, from across Council of Europe member states, from Georgia to Ireland and from Cyprus to Sweden. YouAct offers an international, dynamic and unique environment, where we stimulate young people to build their capacity, leadership and participation in decision making processes.
Your donation will help us continue our work and achieve our organizational aim for a world where young people have access to accurate information and youth friendly services, enabling them to decide freely and responsibly about all aspects of their sexuality and reproductive lives. YouAct aims to do so through advocacy, training and awareness-raising.
The realisation of SRHR continues to be threatened, with the recent Global Gag rule and decreased access to safe and legal abortion services across Europe being just two examples. Adolescents are some of the most affected by persisting inequalities and discrimination. Comprehensive sexuality education is not accessible for a significant part of Europe’s youth population; gender-based violence is widespread; homophobic and transphobic attitudes persist; access to sexual and reproductive health services and commodities is limited. Rates of adolescent pregnancies, unsafe abortions, STIs and HIV remain high in Central and Eastern Europe, thus exposing the persistent inequalities in realization of young people’s human rights across the region.
What do we do?
YouAct plays a central and leading role in advocating and safeguarding young people’s Sexual and Reproductive Rights in Europe and globally, since its establishment in 2004.
Our key-achievements in 2016 entail:
- Abortion Storytelling in Eastern Europe from a Youth Perspective – a toolkit developed by and for young people, using storytelling to raise awareness about abortion stigma.
- Advocacy to combat anti-abortion legislation – development of a Joint Fact sheet , Statement and Call to Action . Youth advocates also organised and attended meetings with MEPs in Brussels calling upon the European Parliament to monitor legislative development and increasing restrictions to SRHR across Europe.
- Youth in Power - a project that aims to develop a SRHR youth strategy to be utilised in national and regional advocacy. More than 1,000 young people completed this online questionnaire to express their ideas, needs and challenges regarding SRHR in their countries. Young representatives from over 15 countries gathered in Kiev, Ukraine (December 2016), in order to analyse the results and develop the SRHR youth strategy, that will be finalized by March 2017.
Why we need your support:
YouAct managed to implement the above-mentioned activities and projects with most of the support and contribution coming from its volunteers, as the organisation employs only 1 part-time staff member (8 hours/week). However, to sustain the organisation and continue the work that YouAct is doing, we need your support!
For the upcoming 3 years YouAct focuses on 4 main advocacy interventions, which are embedded in the sustainable development goals (SDGs):
- The right of young people to participate meaningfully in the design, development, implementation and evaluation of policies and programmes that impact their lives.
- The need for effective comprehensive sexuality programmes for young people.
- The right of LGBTQI youth to live free from stigma and discrimination.
- The right of young women to access safe and legal abortion.
Your support will assist youth activists across Europe to continue their work and defend youth sexual and reproductive rights in Europe. It will help us to continue making a difference in the lives of young Europeans by empowering them and making their voices heard.
More specifically your support will enable the network to:
--> Sponsor 5 young Europeans to come together and plan advocacy interventions for the upcoming year (300 GBP per person = 1,500 GBP).
--> Pay the only contracted employee (the network’s coordinator) for 8hrs a week. The role provides support for members engagement, general planning, administration and running the secretariat of the network (1,500 GBP)
We would be grateful for your donation, that would assist us to continue our work, empower young people and defend youth sexual and reproductive rights in Europe.
If you wish to get in touch with us, please send us an email at info(at)youact.org.
One month ago, YouAct launched its crowdfunding campaigning, one action among many in our ongoing resource mobilization work. In this short time, we have managed to mobilize £710 from 12 donors - including you - and have had 168 social media shares from members and partners.
On behalf of YouAct, we thank you!
The donations are helping lift us up, so that we can continue our work, empower young people and defend youth sexual and reproductive rights in Europe.
With your support for YouAct, along with our continued volunteer commitment, we pledge to work on ways to diversify and mobilize funds to strengthen youth engagement now and in the future.