FRIENDS OF SOMALIA!
$268,350 of $25,125 goal
- We identify for you a family that is suffering deeply from the drought in one village in Somalia
- You commit to give $25 per month to this family until the end of the drought. You will be paired with 2 more donors and together provide $75 per month to this family, which covers their basic vital needs.
- Those $75 are sent directly to the person's phone (Somalis have been using mobile payment for over 10 years and every store accepts it). 100% of your 25$ will end up on the person's phone
- This means no middlemen between you and the person you help. Not even us!
- To allow the people to send you something back, we've distributed 21 Smartphones in the village (that Samsung generously gave us) and we installed the internet in the village !!
- We are right now teaching 21 of the habitants how to take photos and use Facebook. They will he soon the official "village journalist", ready to update you on the situation and the impact of your donation
- After your donation, when we will have found the 1005 donors, you will receive a picture of the person you are helping and will be able to interact together on social media.
Our chance here is to build a new model of humanitarian.
where 100% of the money goes directly to the person that needs it.
where people have the pride to buy their own food
where people have the opportunity to give back to you through stories/photos shared with you.
Note that this village has already lost many of its people from the drought. Mostly children.
Soon, with you, the village will have enough food & water to sustain itself until the end of the drought.
On behalf of all the Love Army.
And of your future new friends...
This picture was taken by one of the villagers :)
PS: - You will be able to cancel the monthly payment at any times directly on GoFundme. To get a tax receipt for your donation, please email email@example.com
PPS: For those of you who already donated, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TRUST! We will be back in the village in a couple of days to connect you all to your new Somali friend.
PPS: Love Army is now a 501(c)(3) charity and will be managing funds directly as of 2/6/19.
- First of all, because of your donations everyone has been able to cover their food & water needs but also, as you saw across the posts here, basics needs such as cooking tools, clothings, etc. You can be all proud that the villagers are now a lot healthier than when the connection between you and them was made.
- But what may make you even more proud of you is knowing that some of the villagers were able to open small businesses, because of you!. We have seen a significant number of the villagers using the donations as micro seed capital to start a tea shop, open a small grocery store or even a clothing business. We are also proud to announce that the taxi driver of the village was able to fix his car and that the village taxi is back in business! As you can imagine all of those businesses make this village alive again and will now be a source of income for some families
- We are also proud to see that the smartphones distributed have been used for a lot more than just updating us all on here! The phones are also being used to learn English for exemple which will make a big difference for the teenagers and young adult of the village.
- As you probably all have seen, many families have decided to buy new goats and replace the goats that had perished during the drought. Even thought the number of goats in the village is still very small compare to what it used to be, the fact that everyone was given a chance to buy new ones has been a big source of pride and relief for the village - as being in charge of goats and camels is a tradition since centuries for this part of Somalia.
- Finally. Let’s all appreciate the help received by God & Mother Earth in this project: YES the village has had plenty of rain since you started helping them!! And we can all be grateful for God playing his part in this mission !! We like to think the good intentions and magical prayers of everyone contributed to this rain.
I also know many of you were hoping for a direct one o one connection between you and each families you sponsored but that level of connection turned out to be a lot more complicated than we thought. First because only half of the donors jointed this group, which means the other half isn’t very interested in the interaction part or maybe just doesn’t really use Facebook. Secondly, we’ve had many technical difficulties with this idea. As you’ve noticed the internet is really versatile in the village and garanteeing that you would receive updates once in a while from the villagers has been the best we have been able to do.
For those of you that have not joined the group yet, here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/484377318570551/
We take huge pride in this communication system we’ve created for the village and hope this makes a big difference for you to see the impact of your donations directly communicated by the people. I apologize personally if anybody would have like more deeper connections. I am confident one day this will be possible.
Now for the big unexpected news: the team and I have been BUSY over the past few months because we wanted this village to be the beginning of many. After seeing the success of this experiment, we had the opportunity to present this model at a conference in front of Barack Obama & Bill Gates (We haven’t told this to anybody yet!!) We used this opportunity to convince Bill Gates to sponsor 8 new villages in Somalia and to donate 1000$ to each of the 1000 families of those villages! A total of 1 million dollars. We were able to send this money live to Somalia directly on the phone of the 1000 families. The photos you can see under this posts are the reaction, live, of the mothers, getting 1000$ each.
We are convinced that our model of direct cash donation combined with a social media feedback could be scaled accros all the country of Somalia, and more, especially if big actors like the UN and/Or the European Union would be willing to adopt this 21st century method of humanitarian. We are now commited to making this a reality. No matter how long it takes or how many people need to be convinced.
Not just because we think this system is better. But because this is what the people want. To be helped in an empowering ways. Thank you for all of you that took a leap of faith and did it with us.
The Facebook group will remain open and we hope the relationship some of you have build with the village will remain for a long time. I would strongly encourage everyone to keep supporting the village for at least a couple more months, or, as long as you can!
Because the recovery process from the drought is far from over and every monthly donation right now is making a big difference for the village. Many kids are still not back to school and many people are still jobless because of the drought. If for any reason somebody needs to stop the donations then this is available in your GoFundMe email you received at sign up or you can email GoFundMe here, http://bit.ly/2hcmxJ3 - I will send a new update about the village in a couple more weeks. And hope to have more surprises for you all.
Your commitment is a huge relief for the village. The villagers are so thankful and we've been able to see them using your donations to buy new goats and food. We're now excited to invite you to The Village Facebook group where you will be able to see pictures/videos posted directly by the villagers themselves. Please click this link to the Facebook group and ask to join the group! http://bit.ly/2t6QVIi
With a gift from Samsung we were able to distribute 21 smartphones to the village and teach 21 people to use Facebook. We will wait that every one of you donors has join the Facebook group to make direct intros to the families you are helping! The villagers are excited, so please join as soon as possible! If you need help, contact GoFundMe here asking for Laura: http://bit.ly/2u5BtjR
Amis de la Somalie! Nous sommes fiers d'annoncer que votre don de $25 est bien arrivé au village! Directement sur le téléphone d'une des familles!
Votre engagement est un enorme soulagement pour le village. Les habitants nous ont demandé plusieurs fois de vous remercier! Et ils ont même dancé/chanté de joie lorsque les SMS de dons sont arrivés sur leur téléphones! Choses qui ne s'etait jamais produite lorsque nous achetions nous même la nourriture distribué!
Ce nouvau model d'aide humanitaire est tellement plus humain et valorisant pour eux et ils nous l'ont répété toute au long de la semaine! Nous avons pu les voir utilisé vos dons pour acheter par exemple de nouvelles chèvres qui offrirons tout les jours du lait au village! Nous sommes maintenant très heureux de vous inviter à rejoindre le groupe Facebook du village! Où vous pourrez voir des photos/vidéos de la vie du village, faites par les villageois eux meme! Merci de clicker sur ce lien pour acceder au groupe Facebook: http://bit.ly/2t6QVIi
Grâce à la générosité d'une marque de smartphones nous avons pu distribuer 21 smartphones dans le village et nous avons appris à 21 villageois comment utiliser Facebook! Nous attendrons que chacun d'entre vous ai rejoins le groupe Facebook pour faire une introduction à la famille que vous aidez desormais! Les villageois ont vraiment hâte que vous découvriez le village alors ne tardez pas trop à rejoindre le groupe!!
Si vous avez besoin d'aide pour rejoindre le groupe vous pouvez envoyer un message directement à GoFundMe en contactant Laura (en anglais de preference!): http://bit.ly/2u5BtjR
Our partners American Refugee Committee will help us wire the donations via Dahabshiil (online banking of Somalia). Yesterday we started wiring 9 of your donations to 3 different families ($75 per families). The reactions of the families were absolutely overwhelming for the team. One of the father said "thank the donors please, tell them that they just gave me back my dignity." A second later he went to the store of the village and bough $70 of food and a new pair or shoes for his kid that was shoeless. He was proud to go to the store, to buy something, like they used to before the drought, to provide for his family. He said he was really happy to have the option to chose what to buy. That he had bought some pasta. Because the humanitarian packages we were usually distributing were rice and it was not his favorite.
We still need a few days to finalize distributing the money onto everyone's phone and making sure it's all working smooth. As well as connecting the village to Facebook and teaching the village journalists how to be in touch with you all.
I am sure you are impatient to get started so please don't be worried if you don't hear from us for a couple days it just means we are working hard to make it happen.
We are so blessed to do this with you all and our hope is for this to be a life changing experience as much for you than it will be for the Somali families you are helping.
Sent from the new wifi of the village :)
This is Amir's family after their received their first $75 donation. Amir is on the bottom right :)
I hate asking here but I don't have much over any other turn I have a gofundme page #lost everything an have 2 little girls, I'm a very hard worker but I recently lost my vehicle, my job everything I owned was in my vehicle. I have 2 little girls that's going to be without Christmas this year due to us being on the street in this cold weather. I'm sorry an I normally don't ask for help I always figure it out. but I lost my mom in 2014 an I have had such a hard time getting an keeping everything together being a single mom of 2.please even prayer will help me. thank you
I love this Idea , as I am doing something similar myself but I am just getting the internet access together. trust me people this may not be a life and death situation to you but it is! it’s vital these children and adults get into certain activities in this time of age, thank everyone for their continuous support
Hello, you and I have never met. But today I wanted to express and share a goal of mine so that I could kindly ask for a small donation that may indeed help fund my dream of becoming a business owner. Below is a link that you may click on to read about my campaign https://bit.ly/2ZG0bEU I want to thank you so much in advance for taking the time to read my story and donating. But most of all believing in me to succeed through your generosity. Regards Geremy
this is truly amazing. I’d also like people to take note that there are people here, fellow Canadian and Americans. just like me, that are suffering, due to being extremely sick. please please take the time to look at my campaign. I’m in desperate need, and I’ve had not 1penny of help. I want to be able to help others. but I can’t even help myself, please help me do both!!