Day Worker Center Fundraiser!
The Day Worker Center of Mountain View is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which provides fair employment and training opportunities - and much more - to anyone looking for work. Since opening its doors in 1996, the Center has served over 9,000 workers in total.
Led by Executive Director María Marroquín, the Center's amazing staff and volunteers work to:
1. Connect day laborers and employers in a safe and supportive environment
2. Empower workers to improve their socio-economic condition through fair employment, education, and job skills training
3. Participate in advocacy efforts that support the day laborer community
4. Engage in serving the surrounding neighborhoods
Anyone looking for employment is welcome at the Center. While many of the workers come from Central and Latin American countries, it is a diverse community representing several continents at any given time.
The Center also runs a number of programs to promote education, healthy living and service - you can take a glimpse of the Centeer's vibrant operation on Facebook.
Your donation will fund two key aspects of the Center's operation:
1. The Nutrition Fund: The Center provides healthy meals to day workers twice a day, five days a week. In order to do this at a reasonable cost, we run an on-site kitchen with two hired staff who are compensated at a fair rate. We also receive food donations from our partner organizations, and have a vegetable garden at the Center which supplies additional fresh produce.
2. The Training Fund: We aim to equip our workers with essential skills for the job. With training, workers become more versatile, which benefits both the workers and their employers. This includes English tutoring, driving instruction, communications training and leadership training. In addition to programs run by our dedicated volunteers, we hope to have guest instructors who can provide quality training to meet specific needs.
On behalf of the Center's leadership, volunteers and workers, thank you for supporting the Day Worker Center community!
Click for Facebook & website