(Four Women) Run For ALL Women
As I reflect on 2016 and plan for 2017, I find myself unable to reconcile the election and the impact of what a (he who shall not be named) presidency will mean for many Americans. I would like to think I did all that I can to help get Hillary elected but based on results it is clear I could have done more.
On January 20, 2017, many Americans will enter a phase of new challenges the likes which we probably didn't think were possible. The President-elect’s promise to be the “law & order” candidate will most likely be accompanied by laws and policies that incentivize targeting the indigent and disenfranchised. His Cabinet picks will likely push an agenda that targets LGBT people and undocumented people. He’s taken advantage of hard working Americans at every stage of his career and will continue to do so throughout his Presidency. His Secretary of State pick will promote policies that will do irreparable damage to our environment. And that’s just the beginning.
I read somewhere, “No one person can change the world, but we can each do our part.”
I'm from Harlem. I live to run. What can I do?
Well, it's no secret that this incoming Administration and Congress have a target on women's right to choose and women’s health. There will never come a time that I look back and wonder, “what could I have done to protect that right?”.
On January 16, 2017, MLK Day, I (and a small team) will begin a 240-mile run from Harlem to Washington DC in an effort to raise money and awareness for Planned Parenthood and the awesome power of women. (To put it into context, we'll be running roughly two NYC Marathons each day). We will arrive in DC on January 20th to join all of our powerful, beautiful, and courageous sisters in the Women's March. There will be four of us running, but we’ll be running for all of us.
If you would like to support Planned Parenthood and our run, please donate here (we are hoping to raise $44,000 in honor of the 44th President, Barack Hussein Obama).
Please join us along the route. We would love to run through your city with you, and will be sure to carry the baton of hope and health all the way to our nation's capitol.
I can't do much, but I CAN do this. See you in DC.
~ Alison (aka @powderedfeet)
Posted by Alison Desir
We are just a few days away from takeoff. We are so excited to embark on this journey with you all, and could not have gotten Planned Parenthood this additional support without you. Please see below (and previous updates) for answers to your questions:
• Fundraising will remain open until February 1st; at the time of this writing we have raised $62K
• Please arrive at 5pm on January 18th to have items spray painted/tagged. If you are unable to be tagged in advance, we will tag you when we return ☺
• We will take off at 6pm on the dot from 145th and Lenox
• The most important rule for the run is that we must keep going, or as Dory reminds us, "just keep swimming." In order to ensure that we stick to our timetable and arrive ahead of the Women’s March, the priority will be on the core 4 women running. If one of the core 4 women is not running, whoever arrives first to the exchange zone will hand off to the next person ready to run.
• Spray painting along the route will be done where possible but the priority will be to keep moving.
• Stay up to date via twitter @run4allwomen and instagram @powderedfeet
• There will be changes to the route as we go along; please be flexible. There is no need to sign up via the excel document – just show up (early)!
Please ONLY participate if you are healthy enough to do so. Please also note, that the core group and van will continue moving along with the women in the lead. We do not want any participants left behind alone so please be sure that you have at least one other person with you so that you are not running unaccompanied.
Attorneys reached out to me and said I should post an "Assumption of Risk." Here you go:
ASSUMPTION OF RISK:
I acknowledge that physical exercise can be dangerous and involve risk of serious injury, paralysis and/or death. I hereby acknowledge and agree to assume responsibility for all the risks, whether identified herein or not. My participation is purely voluntary. I assume full responsibility for myself for any bodily injury.
As you know, our efforts have garnered some media attention. As a result, there will be film crews, photographers, and press along the route and throughout that will be documenting this run. For that reason, I have been asked to share this photo release with you all.
PHOTOGRAPHY RELEASE AGREEMENT
I acknowledge that during the run I may be photographed or filmed by participants and other professional or amateur photographers. I hereby grant the leaders of the event, its legal representatives, assignees, and those acting under its authority, the unrestricted right and permission to copyright and/or use, and/or publish photographic portraits or pictures, and the negatives, transparencies, prints, or digital information pertaining to them, in still, single, multiple, moving or video format, or in which I may be included in whole or in part, or composite, or distorted in form, or reproductions thereof, in color or otherwise, "Material" in any media, advertising, or any other lawful purpose.
Finally, we are so thankful that every item on this journey has been donated –from the van to the food, so every single dollar received will go to Planned Parenthood.
As they say, "if you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, gather a group of badass, nasty women on a mission and watch us do anything!" (I took a little liberty with the quote.)
With gratitude and in solidarity,
Posted by Alison Desir
Brief update - we had an amazing time last night and raised about $1500 for Planned Parenthood (cash will be added by Tuesday). We were joined by Alencia Johnson, Director, Constituency Communications at PP, who shared with us the importance of fundraising efforts and activism to preserve the work of Planned Parenthood.
Thank you to everyone who came and donated!
I recently posted the stencil that we will be using to tag those who are participating in the run/supporting/etc. Here is a link to the logo file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/skxl1a2if9orc2o/Four%20Women%20Logo%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0. Please feel free to reproduce so that you may be able to show solidarity! And many thanks to Kai Ng (@_therealkai) for the design.
Counting down the days...
Posted by Alison Desir
With the run less than a week away, it is time to focus on the task at hand. This update will focus mainly on logistics. Please note the following:
1. We will continue fundraising. Gofundme allows fundraising to continue for 30 days from the first donation. Once the gofundme closes, the donation will be made to Planned Parenthood. I have been contacted by the national office about the local affiliates that are at greatest risk of being defunded. It is my hope that the funds go to areas that need it most. The national office will advise me on that.
2. What pace will we be running? Between 9 and 12 min miles. There will be lots of women joining us but our pace will rest within that range for the most part. We have a goal to make it there in time for the Women's March. That is important.
3. We take off Wednesday, January 18th at 6pm.
4. At this point, there is no longer a need to sign up via excel spreadsheet. Just show up! Please arrive early.
5. There will be changes as we run. So please be prepared to run a bit off course at times - flexibility will be important.
6. Please only run if you are well enough to do so and you may consider consulting a doctor first. We want to keep everyone safe.
7. Speaking of safety, we will be escorted by security at various times throughout the route.
8. For media who plan to follow us, please be mindful that we are running on open streets and that interference may compromise our safety.
9. The best way to stay informed of where we are is via twitter. Please follow @run4Allwomen and via IG @powderedfeet for updates. Twitter is also the best place to ask any questions you might have and to show encouragement.
10. Everyone is invited to run - men, women, the trans community, those who are gender nonconforming.
11. Run organizers will be unable to provide transportation for additional runners; people joining the route should plan to meet at exchange zones.
If you're in New York, hope to see you tomorrow night at our fundraiser: https://www.facebook.com/events/666546980183694/
- $44,000 RAISED!!! by 1,174 people in 8 days
WE DID IT!!!
To say that I am overwhelmed with gratitude is an understatement.
We reached our goal just in time for President Obama’s farewell speech. So, Mr. President, if you are watching (and I hope you are) thank you for being an inspiration and providing so much hope!
I’m going to go out for a run to celebrate ☺
But why stop here? Let’s keep pushing!
Hi! I'd love to join you in Westfield NJ during the 4am leg. Should I add my name and contact number to the assignments spreadsheet? Let me know what contact info you need and if I can bring you guys some coffee, bagels and bananas! Go get em ladies!
I will join for some for one or more of the last legs but am confused by the spreadsheet on the legs on Baltimore Ave to Hyattsville since they seem to be independent of each other in terms of start and end. i am a local to that area so I can answer questions and provide logistics...send me a message :)
Dear everyone, Please help also to rise the fund for the education and share it also please https://www.youcaring.com/myself-739023
You all are truly inspirational, strong and empowering women. I will be running in solidarity with you in N.C.!
Westfield, NJ is ready and waiting! Made headbands so you spot us!
To bad that you continue to drink the demorat kool-aid. You seem to like staying on the demorat plantation so close your minds and see where you are in 50 years. Good luck.
My daughter and I want to see you all come in at the finish. Where will you be arriving in DC and what time? I checked out the spreadsheet and last I saw it said 9am but it was unclear where. I don't have twitter unfortunately.
Sending love and light from Bloomington, Indiana. Thank you ♥
likeSᴛᴀʀᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴏᴍᴇ! Gʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴊᴏʙ ғᴏʀ sᴛᴜᴅᴇɴᴛs, sᴛᴀʏ-ᴀᴛ-ʜᴏᴍᴇ ᴍᴏᴍs ᴏʀ ᴀɴʏᴏɴᴇ ɴᴇᴇᴅɪɴɢ ᴀɴ ᴇxᴛʀᴀ ɪɴᴄᴏᴍᴇ... Yᴏᴜ ᴏɴʟʏ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴀ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʀᴇʟɪᴀʙʟᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀɴᴇᴛ ᴄᴏɴɴᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ... Mᴀᴋᴇ $90 ʜᴏᴜʀʟʏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴜᴘ ᴛᴏ $15000 ᴀ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ ʙʏ ғᴏʟʟᴏᴡɪɴɢ ʟɪɴᴋ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴛᴛᴏᴍ ᴀɴᴅ sɪɢɴɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ... Yᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғɪʀsᴛ ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ᴏғ ᴛʜɪs ᴡᴇᴇᴋ... Go to the web :: ═►ＷＷＷ.joinpay40.ＣＯＭ