War Veteran needs help after fire

$8,230 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 52 people in 16 months
Channel 2 news broadcast

29271970_15241735460_r.jpeg29271970_15241735730_r.jpeg29271970_15241735950_r.jpeg29271970_15241736350_r.jpeg29271970_15241736760_r.jpeg29271970_15241747910_r.jpegBRFD: Electrical short sparks house fire on Wesson Street

2 weeks 5 days 19 hours ago Tuesday, March 27 2018 Mar 27, 2018 March 27, 2018 9:00 PM March 27, 2018 in News
Source: WBRZ

By: WBRZ Staff

BATON ROUGE- Emergency crews responded to a house fire Tuesday night.

The incident occurred around 8:45 p.m. Tuesday in the 9400 block of Wesson Street.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, the fire was caused by an electrical short in the attic. The fire was contained in about 20 minutes with help from St. George.

One person was in the home at the time of the fire, but was able to escape without injuries.

The total estimated damage to the home is valued at $75,000. Red Cross was called to assist.

My name is Renee Reeves McKee. I am the daughter-in-law of  Les Mckee, for whom I am trying to help.  I live in Denham Springs, Louisiana and Les’s Home is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana., about 15 minutes away from me.  The funds raised from this campaign are set up to deposit straight into the account of Les Mckee. 

Les is an 87-year old Korean War Veteran whose home suffered an electrical fire that started in the attic.  The damages are estimated to be approximately $75,000. He is widowed and was unable to afford homeowners insurance due to the bills from his wife's 18-year battle with cancer and congestive heart failure. He has been unable to work due to a major stroke suffered in 1995.   His two children are doing all they can to assist, but they are both recovering from financial hardships due to the August 2016 flood.  The little money he had invested in stocks will not cover the cost of basic repairs and supplies.  His family asks that people open their hearts and help him and his dog return home.

Thanks to the generosity of others, we have been able to rebuild the roof and awning structures and repair the hole in the roof.  We are eternally grateful for the help we have received. We should have enough money to change out the faulty wiring as well.  Our next steps are to replace the carpet in 3 rooms, the ceiling and insulation., all of which had fire, smoke and water damage.  We would love to paint the affected area, but that will just be a bonus, if funds permit.  We will soon be at another standstill, due to limited funds. 
We would like to send Channel 2 news a tremendous thank you for their time and efforts on our behalf. Without the news story, our campaign would have still been in a slump.  They did a wonderful job. 
I have posted a link to the broadcast below. If you hit play, we are the second story.  

Thank you you for taking the time to read our story. 

God bless you all!
+ Read More

$8,230 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 52 people in 16 months
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
14 months ago
Laura Jones
15 months ago
Ray White
15 months ago
Kesha Fleming
15 months ago
Kim and Red robert
15 months ago
Sharon Howell
15 months ago
Lisa Farr
15 months ago
15 months ago
Kameron Whitmeyer
15 months ago
15 months ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.