A Leap of Faith to Ignite Inspiration
What dream is hidden deep inside you? How many times have you told yourself I can’t, it's not feasible, maybe later, no matter how badly it calls to you?
I’ve been there! For years, I told myself all sorts of stories about what I can and can’t do. But through ten years of endurance racing in triathlons, ultramarathons and more, I realized the hardest step of a journey is that first leap of faith - committing to doing it.
That’s why I decided to row a 23-foot boat 3,000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean by myself. This journey - the United World Challenge - is my attempt to show that with the right preparation and attitude, anything is possible, even crossing an ocean using just the power and inspiration gifted to us as human beings.
By recording and sharing this experience - from learning to row and navigate, to surviving wild ocean storms, to witnessing the humbling beauty of our world, facing and overcoming my own doubts and fears during 3 months alone at sea - through social media, talks, blogs and a film, I aim to empower dreamers of all ages to believe in themselves, take a little risk, and become their own inspiration for life.
And, because I know how inspiring and empowering it was for me to study at the United World College - an incredible experience that taught me to trust myself to take enormous leaps of faith - I am working hard to send 2 new students to UWC, paying forward the gift I received that made all this possible.
I'm giving thousands of hours and half of each of my paychecks to make this dream a reality. I formed 501(c)(3) sponsorships to offer a tax benefit for your support. My ocean rowing boat is under construction, and filming has begun. Everything is ready - all that's required is you.
I am humbly asking for your contribution toward the remaining $75,000 to complete the boat and secure key equipment for me to safely cross the ocean and share the story with you and others. Together, with me in the boat and you on our team, we will co-create a maddening and magical story to ignite inspired living around the world.
Thank you! I am so grateful for your support.
A LEAP OF FAITH TO IGNITE INSPIRATION: CAMPAIGN DETAILS
Where will our $75,000 go?
- Just the essentials: completing the boat and securing safety and media equipment to complete and share the journey
- As a solo rower, I want the safest ocean rowing boat available. I hired SpinDrift Rowing Company in Port Townsend, Washington to build a boat from the ground up, which I've mostly funded myself over the past year and a half. The largest portion of our funds here will go towards the boat and the rest going towards life-sustaining equipment to survive and share the story. Want the details? Scroll to the bottom for a link to a complete list of all required equipment. (It's long!)
What impact will you make? (In addition to co-creating the project!) Rewards for individual team members
FRIEND - $99: Enjoy a goal-setting and coaching session with Terence to help you reach your health and fitness goals
PROTECTOR - $249: Get a high quality, insulated and eco-designed United World Challenge Ocean Bottle ( https://theoceanbottle.com/ - photo at bottom), which also sponsors the collection of 1000 ocean-bound plastic containers
MESSENGER - $499: Terence will send a video from the mid-Atlantic to anyone you choose to encourage them to live courageously -- and you get an Ocean Bottle
GUIDE - $999: Terence will call a children’s classroom of your choice to talk with kids live from the mid-Atlantic and encourage them to dream big -- and you get an Ocean Bottle
TEACHER - $2,499: Terence will visit a school of your choice to inspire kids with stories from Atlantic to encourage them to dream big -- plus the impact of Protector and Messenger above
MENTOR - $4,999: Terence visits an under-privileged school to coach kids to live courageously, and to mentor two students through the UWC application process -- and you make the impact of Protector, Messenger and Guide above
For more info on UWC, see https://unitedworldchallenge.org/uwc/ I'll ship all Ocean Bottles in late summer.
What sponsorship packages can you offer companies?
- See below as a guide. If you have something else in mind, let's make it happen!
What if we don't hit our goal?
- This is not an "all or nothing campaign" - literally, everything helps. Whether we hit our goal today or next month, your give will help make this project a success by finishing the boat, rowing to sea and showing that when we work together, anything is possible.
What if we raise more?
- Donations above our target will go towards my last expenses - shipping the boat, the race entry fee, and filming expenses. Once all costs are covered, I will welcome further gifts to support our film production and the United World Challenge scholarship fund to send new students to UWC.
What is the full cost of the project?
- About $200k. I'm working hard to cover the remaining costs (food, travel, shipping, race fee) through in-kind and corporate sponsorship, paying what I can from my own means, and any gifts here.
Are you working with corporate sponsors? Would you like an intro?
- Yes and yes - expect an announcement soon about our first partner. And please send any ideas for companies that can support financially or with equipment, food, shipping, travel, communications, or other in-kind sponsorship.
What Press have you received?
- OMNI Athlete Podcast (20-min. interview with Terence on his mental approach to endurance racing):
- Deloitte Well-Being feature: www.deloittenet.deloitte.com/News/Publishing/0619/Pages/060319_Well_being_in_action.aspx
- London Business School feature: https://www.london.edu/news-and-events/news/lbs-student-plans-atlantic-solo-row-1237
- UWC feature: https://www.uwc.org/news/?pid=7&nid=7&storyid=3524
- Launch video Here:
Take Part in the Journey!
- Contact me: hello [at] unitedworldchallenge.org or testeinberg [at] deloitte.com
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Chief Voyager, United World Challenge
The United World Challenge is a nonprofit project with fiscal sponsorship from Epoch Expeditions, a 501(c)(3) organization. Your donation is tax deductible in the USA.
The United World Challenge has partnered with the Ocean Bottle to reward you with a branded bottle that you can be proud to carry: through the Ocean Bottle's partnership with Social Plastic, proceeds from each bottle's sale support the collection of 1000 ocean-bound plastic bottles. Meaning, your bottle does good for the world!
We'll be shipping our Ocean Bottles to our backers in late summer - here is a preview below, and visit https://theoceanbottle.com/ to learn more.
Atlantic Campaigns, the race organizer, provides the following document as a minimum set of required equipment for each boat: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8slrtmsw1wjk1rd/TWAC%20%2719%20-%20Race%20Rules%20-%20Appendix%201%20v3.pdf?dl=0
In just 2 weeks you and 74 others raised $22,250 to our mission to create a more inspired world.
This is a HUGE landmark, because it covers the final phase of building the boat. In just a few short months, I’ll be on the water, training for departure in December.
Please check out this 1 minute video to hear what your generous support means to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.