10
10
4

Saving Baby Nova

$1,180 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 10 people in 1 month
39887476_1560374774380691_r.jpeg
 Nova is a plucky, silly husky baby of 3 months old. She's the sweetest puppy with a rambunctious attitude as any husky baby. We fell in love with her at first sight, and knew that she was the right one for our family. Around 4 days ago (6/8/2019), I awoke to her vomiting in the middle of the night. Thinking it was maybe something she ate, I tried to comfort her and see if it got better. When I got off work around 12 that day, she wasn't any better. We rushed her to the nearest emergency vet, and our worst fears were true: she had tested positive for parvo. This virus is extremely deadly, especially in puppies. We left her in the care of the E.R. Vets while we were in tears.

Less than 24 hours passed, and we got a call saying that she was eating and looking better. Most times that's a great sign. She was discharged to go home. The first few hours home were great. She was acting like her normal puppy self again, and we thought that we were on the mend and through the worst. Around the same time as before in the night, the vomiting began again. The E.R. vet was no longer open, and they had stated that I'd have to wait until the morning to see our primary vet. We took samples of her vomit, and there were roundworms in it, even though she had been treated with dewormer. Again, we returned to our vet, and this time she was looking worse than the first time. The vet agreed that she needed to be treated, this time for days. Because their vet facility isn't a 24 hour one, they would keep her for the day, and then transfer her to a 24 hour vet hospital. Her condition didn't get worse, but it wasn't getting better.

Parvo in dogs is deadly, particularly in puppies. It's easy to contract because it can be anywhere and survive months in any weather condition. It attacks the intestines, and if not treated, the puppy can become septic.

Now here we are, waiting impatiently for the news if our baby is going to make it. Hospitalization isn't cheap, and it's hit us hard, but we are wanting to do everything to keep her alive. We've already paid out of pocket nearly $4,000 with the sudden vet visit and overnight stays. Depending on her condition and if she survives the first few days, she could need to be at the vet care for up to a week. Every day she remains in the hospital is around $1,200 - $2,200 depending on the treatment she needs there.

We are aiming for $10,000 because we've been forewarned that this treatment could take days, sometimes weeks if they survive. She means the world to us. We always sing to her about how she's our sunshine.  Every donation counts, and it would mean so much to us and the help of keeping our baby Nova alive. #savebabynova

39887476_1560374901605134_r.jpeg
39887476_1560374919705925_r.jpeg
39887476_1560374939290806_r.jpeg
+ Read More
Over the last couple of weeks, Nova has continued her progress. She is eating steadily, gaining weight, and is overall staying the playful puppy she should be.

Due to the antibiotics she was on, we realized that her stool was much softer than it should be. Like a lot softer. This continued for days, and we became worried. Returning to the vet, we got her second set of shots and gave them a stool sample.

Two days later, we were called and told that she did have parasites...but they were not dog parasites. Somehow she had gotten her mouth on bird feces. They said it wouldn't harm her, but that she would need stool hardener and more antibiotics and other supplements, which of course meant more money. Another $300 in fact.

So while we are overall doing better, we still aren't completely well. Until she gets her last set of shots and is completely parasite free, we don't stop worrying that something might happen.

Thank you for following us and helping us out along the way. Please continue to share with your friends and family. We're still struggling with the bills, and anything helps.
+ Read More
We are home and feeling much better! Vomited subsided, as well as all the other nasties.

Ian and I broke down at the sight of her when she was being carried out the back door of the VCA in Silverdale by one of the vet techs. She was so frail, and still is. She lost nearly two pounds during the course of 5 days while fighting this virus, which is pretty drastic for a 3 month old puppy who normally weighs 11 pounds (give or take).

We're a little clumsy, since we've lost some muscle mass, but that deters her very little. The first day home she was falling over and could barely hold herself up as she walked. We've improved over that last few days quite a bit. Our eating habits are a little on the possessive side. After losing so much weight, we're doing our best to slowly introduce her old diet back. She ravenous for most meals, worried that we're going to take it away from her.

The vet tech explained that she feels awful for the puppies stuck in isolation. Most interaction with Nova was either to poke and prod her with IV fluids or checking her vitals, or checking her blood work. When they weren't doing that, they were attempting to convince her eat. Not a whole lot of socialization. And we've noticed a change in her attitude because of it.

Now we're trying all tender love and care. She follows us anywhere we go in the house. If one of us leaves the room, she cries. The only time she truly feels at peace is when Ian and I are both in the room. We're more than willing to oblige.

Thank you again for all your support during this emotional time. Your donations truly touch our hearts and make us realize how many wonderful people we have to help us out. She's worth every penny.
+ Read More
Note: this picture was taken the day before she was admitted to the hospital for a second time.

Nova update: The vet called this morning, and we finally heard some semblance of good news. She's no longer vomiting, her white blood cell count is going up (they help fight off other infections), her attitude is improving, and her appetite is returning. With all this looking better, they have hope that she can return home either tonight or tomorrow. While we would love to have her in our loving arms, we know what happened last time.

The first time we ran her to the hospital, she was lethargic, vomiting, and practically unable to move. Within less than 24 hours, we were told that she was eating and acting healthy, which they thought were signs that she was already on the mend and that we could take her home.

Not 7 hours later after her return home, she was a downward spiral. No eating, no drinking, and her vomiting had roundworms, which meant the infestation was out of control, on top of the parvo. And it was an aggressive case at that.

When we had returned to our vet the next morning, he had been appalled that they had released her so soon. We were told that puppies with parvo often look better, then plummet. When owners are told that they can return home so soon after a slight bit of promise, it tends to be their deaths in these cases.

So now we're waiting, crossing our fingers that she continues to improve over the rest of the day. Even if the vet has said that they think we can take her home today, we don't want a repeat of early this week. It had nearly broken our hearts, and the thought of going through this again is too expensive on both our bank account and our emotions. We would rather have her spend an extra day at a place where we know they can provide her the proper care she needs in the case of another downward episode.

Thank you again to all during this emotional time. Your thoughts and donations have meant so much to us. We want her home and healthy. <3
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$1,180 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 10 people in 1 month
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
SM
$50
Susannah May
1 month ago
$250
Anonymous
1 month ago
CL
$30
Crystal Lessor
1 month ago
LG
$25
Lauren Gardiner
1 month ago
DC
$350
Devon Coultas
1 month ago
$100
Siri Nelson
1 month ago
PH
$25
Pat Hightower
1 month ago
$200
Kristin Nelson
1 month ago
JL
$50
Jana Lissiak
1 month ago
AH
$100
Anna Hughes
1 month ago
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.