Save Our Skippy

£75 of £3,000 goal

Raised by 8 people in 13 months
About Skippy

Our dog Skippy if a four and a half year old male Bichon Frise. We have had him since he was 10 weeks old.


He was the runt of the litter and half the size of his brothers and sisters, we fell in love at first sight. He had scrappy hair and looked like nobody owned him. Within weeks of a home cooked diet and plenty of TLC he was thriving.


He loves to chase bubbles.


He likes to walk on our local beach (unless it is raining).


He plays fetch and swims in the stream (but only during the winter and with his baby tennis balls).


This year he experienced snow for the first time.


But his favourite place has got to be in his bed.


Preferable with a blanket over him.

Or with his human Mum


How we ended up here

On Friday the 26th of May at about midnight we noticed big purple bruises on Skippy’s stomach.


He had previously been to the vets on Wednesday the 23rd after having blood in his urine and they were investigating, but believed it to be an UTI. And on Friday morning he had bloody poo.

We rang the vet immediately and she told us she wanted to see us in the morning as she thought Skippy might have a clotting problem. We put Skippy in a soft crate overnight and took him to our local vet at 9am on Saturday. He was with the vet for less than an hour when she called us to say that he needed to go to a specialist in Bristol ASAP.

He appeared to have IMT (Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia), basically his immune system was attacking itself and destroying his platelets which he needs to have his blood clot. She said that the normal clotting time for a dog is between two and 13 minutes, but his failed to clot even after 45minutes has passed. She said that the bloody urine and poo was likely an internal bleed.

We picked him up and started the drive to Bristol. A drive that should have taken two hours but ended up taken three and a half hours as it was a bank holiday weekend and the traffic was bumper to bumper.

We arrived at the small animal hospital and were seen straight away. They examined Skippy and told us his treatment plan. He needed strong steroid medication to suppress his immune system so he could make new platelets, but that medication can take days to kick in and in the meantime he was at risk of a spontaneous bleed. We had to leave him there so he could could get the care he needed, they promised to call with daily updates.

Before we had even been parted from him his bruising had worsened. Everywhere he had been touched more bruising had appeared. His stomach was now nearly all just one giant purple bruise. Where they had taken blood or clipped his fur was all purple bruises.

We gave him hugs and kisses goodbye, left him with a home blanket and teddy and started our journey home. Praying we would be back to bring him home in a few days.

Before we even made it home they had called to say that they had to sedate him as he was anxious being separated from his human Mum. The risk of him being so anxious was that he was running around and digging and given that his blood couldn’t clot it could cause a bleed that wouldn’t stop. We arrived at our empty home heart broken and exhausted, expecting an update the next morning.

The morning update on Sunday was all positive, he had settled in a bit and even eaten some breakfast. His urine and poo clear,

Monday Morning they were worried again, he was too settled. He wouldn’t eat or drink only slept. By that evening they were very worried. His red blood cells had halved and he was throwing up, and had bloody urine and poo again. They called again just after midnight to say he needed a blood transfusion, his red bloods cells had dropped too much and his heart was struggling. We managed a few hour of sleep in shifts so there was always someone awake to answer the phone.

Tuesday Morning they called to say the transfusion was a success, his heart rate was back to normal but he still had internal bleeding and may need another blood transfusion through out the night. His platelets are critically low.

Now we wait for further blood test results to see how he has progressed.

How you can help

You can help us by donating.

We have pet insurance for Skippy but had changed it days before he became ill to another company. We have since found out that they will not cover him as he got ill in the 14 days after we changed his policy to a new company. Our vet bills so far are around £3000 and climbing.

Skippy is apart of our family, loved, cherished and very much missed. He is my mums dog and has greatly helped her in over coming her health issues. She was diagnosed with a brain malformation in 2012 and has had brain surgery twice since then. He is the reason she gets out of bed in the morning, the reason she leaves the house everyday to walk him. Without him she is lost.

Every donation will go towards Skippy’s treatment, his medication, stay at the animal hospital and further blood transfusions. If you unable to donate we ask that you share his story with others who might be able to help save him.

Please help us Save Our Skippy.

Thank you.

+ Read More
Three weeks on.
Firstly I’d like to say sorry for the late update. On a non Skippy related problem we were told four days after having Skippy home that the man we rent our house from would like to sell it and has giving us two months notice so things have been rather hectic trying to find a new home.
Skippy on the other hand is doing well. He had his first blood test today since he has been home and his platelets are now in the high bracket. They decided not to test his red blood cells this time but in three weeks when he needs another blood test.
We are now able to reduce his tablets by half a tablet, so we are down to four and a half tablets per day. He is still eating like a horse and has gained half a kilo since we have had him home. The vet has said that the eating is normal due to the medication and we will just have to give him what he wants for the next few weeks. And what a diet he has, he has had liver, bone marrow, tuna, salmon and anything else we can create for him that will help bring up his red blood cell count. He still wakes you up twice in the night because he is hungry and wants feeding.
His energy levels are very low. He has gone from having an hour to two hours walk off the lead everyday to barely managing a 15 minute walk on the lead. He spends most of the day having naps in between meals, and by the evening if he wants to sit with you on the sofa you have to pick him up as he doesn’t have the energy to jump.
On a different note we asked the vets today about the urine sample they sent off when they thought he had a UTI and it was clear. So it looks like the bloody urine was the first sign of his condition.
All and all he is doing much better, but we still have a long way to go. Regular vet visits (which he is not happy about one bit) and constant monitoring and medication.
We want to thank everyone who has donated and shared and ask that you continue to share with those you think would be able to help. I know we have him home now but we still have such a long way to go, and your support is still needed and very much appreciated.
Thank you again
+ Read More
A week on.
We have had Skippy home with us for a week now and we are having to deal with a whole new range of problems and changes.
Due to the medication he is taking his appetite has gone into over drive. We have gone from having a dog that would often turn his nose up at his home cooked dinner, to one who is begging for food. He is keeping baby like hours, lots of napping, and feeding every four to five hours. He has gained back the weight he lost and now we have to make sure he doesn’t put on too much more.
He is managing to go on a short walk in the evening when the weather is cool, but he gets upset that we won’t take him to the beach where we usually walk him. We still have to keep him away from other dogs so have to pick him if we bump into any, which he is also unimpressed about.
His bruising has gone down and is getting better everyday, but we are still keeping our eyes peeled for further bruising though.
He is having his first trip back to the vets next week for a blood test and we will find out if they can lower the dose of steroids that he is on, so fingers crossed.
Thank you to everyone who has donated, every bit helps and I’ll have a new update for you when we have his blood test results.
+ Read More
Wednesday mornings update the vet said he hadn’t needed a second transfusion but they were still monitoring to make sure he didn’t deteriorate. It seemed his vomiting and bloody poo and urine had stopped so they hoped his internal bleeding had stopped. She said they would run another blood test Thursday.

Thursday morning the blood test results were good, he hadn’t lost any more blood and his platelets were on the rise. She said they were almost out the critical and if he continued this way he would be home in a day or two.

Friday morning the vet called to say we could bring him home. His platelets were still low but she thought it was best for him as he is an anxious dog and they were struggling to get him to eat.

Skippy is home.

We made the long journey to Bristol (again on one of the worst traffic days of the week) and arrived to see him and bring him home.
He was happy to see us, but very weak. The vet said he is anaemic and still low on platelets so we have to give him medicine at home. His conditions could be life long and he may be on medication for the rest of his life, but we are just glad to have him at home.
Due to how the medicine dampens down his immune system he is in doggy quarantine in the house for a few weeks. We have to be careful as he is too weak to go up and down the stairs and is being hand fed his favourite food, chicken.
In three weeks he needs another blood test to make sure his body is still making platelets, so in the meantime we just have to watch and wait. He will be taking his medicine for months but they will try and lower the dose every four weeks. We are still on high alert, checking for bruising and making sure his urine and poo are blood free. This conditions can happen so suddenly that we have to make sure we are alert so it can be caught in time.
Thank you to everyone who has sent their well wishes and prayers.
Thank you the excellent vets who have treated Skippy.
And thank you to Linda Williams who gave us our first donation.
A drink before coming home
Left over bruising
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

£75 of £3,000 goal

Raised by 8 people in 13 months
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
Steffan Jones
11 months ago
Ayla H
13 months ago (Offline Donation)
Maxine Price
13 months ago
Jason Ortiaga
13 months ago (Offline Donation)
Suzanne Jones
13 months ago
Sabrina Jones
13 months ago
Jane & Judy
13 months ago (Offline Donation)
Linda Williams
13 months ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a £5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.