Racing for Freedom
We are The Coconuts , a family of sailors who for a decade lived a nomadic life aboard our eco-sailboat (engineless) and now we tackle the world of professional sailboat racing.
In the world of professional sailboat racing projects are funded by corporate sponsors but we want to do things differently:
• we want to race with a purpose
• we want to create a campaign that gives voice to the people
Our goal is to...
RESIST: hostility, racism, inequality, dishonesty and threats to the environment
REPRESENT: equality, freedom, peace, the truth, and environmental conservation (especially that of the oceans).
We are building a state-of-the-art racing boat.
Our plan with this boat is to participate in races throughout Europe, UK, the Caribbean and the USA to spread your voice and reach as many people as possible through press and media coverage.
• A Prototype Class Mini 6.50 (21 feet long)
• Designed by Guillaume Verdier , the top naval architect of racing sailboats of our times
• A full carbon fiber construction
• Equipped with a canting keel
• At the forefront of innovation with the latest foil design
• A professional skipper and boat builder who's ingenuity and skills allow us to do-it-ourselves and keep costs low
• A professional media-person, photographer and filmmaker who's able to provide coverage and reach for this project
• A group of international kids who speak 4 languages who's role in this project is of great importance, they are to inspire and teach other kids about sailboat racing and environmental awareness, especially that of the ocean where they have grown up in
• finish building the boat by June 1
• participate in the Mini FastNet race June 18
• participate in the Transgascogne race July 30
• participate in the MiniTransat race October 1
• set some new records and attempt to break other existing records (detailed info only available to donors)
* this is just the beginning of a 2 year project, we will post updates so our donors can follow the campaign
• race with a purpose, unite and fight for our rights, send the message that we will fight for freedom• rally a large group of participants DONORS who share the same beliefs and who want to be a part of this campaign• make a lot of buzz and get a lot of press to get our united voices heard and our message across
• give voice to the people who are against injustice by placing your personal quotes on the boat
• the boat will cost approx. €35,000 to build
- full carbon fibre hull €10,000 and mast €8,000
- foils that will make the boat fly €10,000
- canting keel €6,000
*since we are building and managing the project ourselves we are able to keep costs low, at a shipyard this would cost approx. €150,000
• getting the boat ready for racing will cost approx. €48,000
- 7 customized sails €15,000
- electronics and safety equipment €10,000
- rigging and hardware €8,000 (winches, pullies, etc)
- insurance €5,000 (obligatory for racing)
- racing season expenses €10,000 (race fees and docking)
• for a strong marketing campaign we will need approx. €6,000
- final art design for boat and sails
- painting of sails and boat
- Quotes-on-Boat design and painting
- photography and video at races and documenting this whole campaign
- press and media outreach as well as an active social-media platform to get exposure and get our voices heard
*since we do most of this ourselves we are able to keep costs low
*the budget covers the costs for a 2 year long campaign!
Jay took 4 days off from boat building to practice his racing skills by participating in the Spi Ouest France 2017 where 409 boats participated in the Bay of Quiberon. Général Tapioca/BWT the Half Tonner Jay raced on was in the top 5 of it's class.
Jay a pris 4 jours de congé du bâtiment de bateaux pour pratiquer ses compétences de course en participant au Spi Ouest France 2017 où 409 bateaux ont participé à la Baie de Quiberon. Général Tapioca / BWT, le Half Tonner dans le top 5.
35 donors in 11 days ~ thank you, merci, gracias, takk fyrir! Donations have really slowed down in the last 3 days , is that it? Is there really only 35 people interested in being part of this project? Consider starting off by joining us for just €5, every little counts! Take action! Together we can sail for freedom!
33 donations in 8 days ~ THANK YOU!
Jump on-board for just €5, every little counts!
Invite your friends and family to be a part of a racing sailboat with an important purpose, sailing is freedom!
We've had 28 donations in the first week. THANK YOU and welcome on-board!
These campaigns become trending due to donation frequency, therefore it’s better to get many small frequent donations. PLEASE jump on-board for €5, every little counts! Consider spreading out your donation if you want to give more but if ALL of you just gave a small donation and Share It, we could reach our goal. Merci! Gracias! Takk fyrir! Thank you!