Racing for Freedom
Support our campaign and we will sail to deliver your voice.
We are The Coconuts , a family of sailors who for a decade lived a nomadic life aboard our eco-sailboat (engineless) and now we tackle the world of professional sailboat racing.Our mission is to...
• race with a purpose
• create a campaign that gives voice to the people
Our goal is to...
RESIST: hostility, racism, inequality, dishonesty and threats to the environment
REPRESENT: equality, freedom, peace, the truth, and environmental conservation (especially that of the oceans).
We are building a state-of-the-art racing boat.
Our plan with this boat is to participate in races throughout Europe, UK, the Caribbean and the USA to spread your voice and reach as many people as possible through press and media coverage.
• A Prototype Class Mini 6.50 (21 feet long)
• Designed by Guillaume Verdier , the top naval architect of our times
• A full carbon fiber construction
• Equipped with a canting keel and T-rudders
• At the forefront of innovation with the latest Y foil design
• A professional skipper and boat builder who's ingenuity and skills allow us to do-it-ourselves and keep costs low
• A professional media-person, photographer and filmmaker who's able to provide coverage and reach for this project
• A group of international multi-lingual kids who's role in this project is of great importance, they are to inspire and teach other kids about sailboat racing and environmental awareness, especially that of the oceans where they have grown up in
• finish building the boat
• participate in the European racing circuit
• participate in the acclaimed MiniTransat race
• participate in multiple races throughout the U.K., the U.S.A., and the Caribbean
• set some new records and attempt to break other existing records (detailed info only available to donors)
* this is a 2 year project, we will post updates so our donors can follow the campaign
• race with a purpose, unite and fight for our rights, send the message that we will fight for freedom
• rally a large group of participants DONORS who share the same beliefs and who want to be a part of this campaign
• make a lot of buzz and get a lot of press to get our united voices heard and our message across
• give voice to the people who are against injustice by placing your personal quotes on the boat
• the boat will cost approx. €55,000 to build
- full carbon fibre hull and mast
- foils that will make the boat fly
- canting keel
*since we are building and managing the project ourselves we are able to keep costs low, at a shipyard this construction would cost approx. €150,000
• getting the boat ready for racing will cost approx. €60,000
- 7 customized sails €15,000
- electronics and safety equipment €20,000
- rigging and hardware €10,000 (winches, pullies, etc)
- insurance €5,000 (obligatory for racing)
- racing season expenses €10,000 (race fees and docking)
• for a strong marketing campaign we will need approx. €10,000
- final art design for boat and sails
- painting of sails and boat
- Quotes-on-Boat design and painting
- photography and video at races and documenting this whole campaign
- press and media outreach as well as an active social-media platform to get exposure and get our voices heard
*since we do most of this ourselves we are able to keep costs low
*the budget covers the costs for a 2 year long campaign!
Jay has finished another gruelling but amazing detail for his Mini6.50. He made all the rigging which holds up the mast out of PBO fibres. Here is a video where he explains how and why he did this.
More of these videos will follow to keep you all informed of how the project is moving forward... make sure you [SUBSCRIBE] to our YouTubeChannel so that you won't miss an update.
Hope the year has kicked off to a good start for ALL of you!
We have been very busy the last few months... Not having found a Title Partner has forced Jay to split his time in October between the Mini and working with a sailing team preparing an IMOCA60 for the Route du Rhum 2018 (the second largest single handed offshore race after the Vendee Globe).
But he was back full time at the Coconuts Boat Shed in November and December, finishing all the time consuming details that seam to never end... we are hoping to launch the boat in January / February!!!
Jay is currently on a sailboat delivery for a week from the Mediterranean to the Canary Islands, right before the holidays but Natasha is back in France still working hard on finding sponsors.
We also had the chance to visit the Paris Boat Show at the beginning of the month, where we were able to meet with our existing technical partners to strengthen our partnerships and to meet new possible ones and speak about the future...
Jay has registered for the first race the "Mini in Mai", so the pressure is on more than ever! So if you wish to make another donation or share this crowdfunding with family and friends to keep this project going 'tis the season!
We wish you ALL a lovely holiday season with family and friends and we THANK YOU for your support and encouragement!
These Y-Foils is what makes this Mini650 so different.
Race boats have been equipped with L-Foils, V-Foils and even S-Foils, foiling technology is developing rapidly and today a few top level naval architects are coming out with Y-Foils. There is only one boat that has been launched so far with Y-Foils, a test boat for America's Cup Team INEOS UK and it flies!
Jay has been busy working for a bigger boat and team, helping prepare for the Rouet du Rhum, a transatlantic race setting sail from France on November 4th, but after that Jay will be full-time again at the Coconuts Boat Shed, the goal? to be sailing by Christmas!