Racing for Freedom
Support our campaign and we will sail to deliver your voice.
We are The Coconuts , a family of sailors who for a decade lived a nomadic life aboard our eco-sailboat (engineless) and now we tackle the world of professional sailboat racing.Our mission is to...
• race with a purpose
• create a campaign that gives voice to the people
Our goal is to...
RESIST: hostility, racism, inequality, dishonesty and threats to the environment
REPRESENT: equality, freedom, peace, the truth, and environmental conservation (especially that of the oceans).
We are building a state-of-the-art racing boat.
Our plan with this boat is to participate in races throughout Europe, UK, the Caribbean and the USA to spread your voice and reach as many people as possible through press and media coverage.
• A Prototype Class Mini 6.50 (21 feet long)
• Designed by Guillaume Verdier , the top naval architect of our times
• A full carbon fiber construction
• Equipped with a canting keel and T-rudders
• At the forefront of innovation with the latest Y foil design
• A professional skipper and boat builder who's ingenuity and skills allow us to do-it-ourselves and keep costs low
• A professional media-person, photographer and filmmaker who's able to provide coverage and reach for this project
• A group of international multi-lingual kids who's role in this project is of great importance, they are to inspire and teach other kids about sailboat racing and environmental awareness, especially that of the oceans where they have grown up in
• finish building the boat
• participate in the European racing circuit
• participate in the acclaimed MiniTransat race
• participate in multiple races throughout the U.K., the U.S.A., and the Caribbean
• set some new records and attempt to break other existing records (detailed info only available to donors)
* this is a 2 year project, we will post updates so our donors can follow the campaign
• race with a purpose, unite and fight for our rights, send the message that we will fight for freedom
• rally a large group of participants DONORS who share the same beliefs and who want to be a part of this campaign
• make a lot of buzz and get a lot of press to get our united voices heard and our message across
• give voice to the people who are against injustice by placing your personal quotes on the boat
• the boat will cost approx. €55,000 to build
- full carbon fibre hull and mast
- foils that will make the boat fly
- canting keel
*since we are building and managing the project ourselves we are able to keep costs low, at a shipyard this construction would cost approx. €150,000
• getting the boat ready for racing will cost approx. €60,000
- 7 customized sails €15,000
- electronics and safety equipment €20,000
- rigging and hardware €10,000 (winches, pullies, etc)
- insurance €5,000 (obligatory for racing)
- racing season expenses €10,000 (race fees and docking)
• for a strong marketing campaign we will need approx. €10,000
- final art design for boat and sails
- painting of sails and boat
- Quotes-on-Boat design and painting
- photography and video at races and documenting this whole campaign
- press and media outreach as well as an active social-media platform to get exposure and get our voices heard
*since we do most of this ourselves we are able to keep costs low
*the budget covers the costs for a 2 year long campaign!
We had a 2 page article in one of France's largest sailing magazines. Speedy Gonzalez ⛵️ is getting a lot of attention... we hope this helps us find a partner
Boat will soon be in the water and the first tryouts will take place
Pick up your copy of the magazine's May issue if you speak French
More news coming soon...
We have partnered up with NKE: marine electronics, we feel very lucky because they are the best and our partnership is full of "top-secret" research and development studies. Excited to share with you all what our partnership will discover!
The most difficult building part to this Mini project has been the "ogives".
These are the pieces that hold the foils to the boat and on which they slide out of into the water. It has taken Jay a year to create them from conception to finished pieces. He had to teach himself how to design using Rhino (a computer program used by naval architects) and figure out how strong he needs to make them (which involves some engineering skills as well). Jay has probably friend some brain cells trying to figure this out, they need to withstand 15 tons of load, which is a lot on such a small boat but don't forget this boat won't be sailing, it will be flying! ⛵️
Coming soon a video describing how Jay built these pieces.
The final details seam to stretch on forever but we hope to put the boat in the water very soon this spring and finally start testing it. It hasn't been easy to accomplish such a complicated boat with little funds but thanks to you, your donations and sharing this project on your social networks has allowed us to continue, so thank you!
Those on social-media might have already seen this, but for those of you who are not, we would like to share Natasha's latest video "Route du Rhum Online" part of her "online series". You can watch this one and previous of her shows on our YouTubeChannel, under the "online shows" playlist. Don't forget to turn on the English subtitles under the settings icon ✿.
Hope you enjoy these little productions she makes with the enlisted help of the Mini Coconuts. More of these to come throughout the project you have been so kind in supporting.