Five year old saves family in fire
On October 14, 2015, our PreK4 students visited the fire station in South Kenner on Rev. Wilson Drive to learn about fire safety.
Today we learned that one of the students (Cloe) was able to put the lessons learned into action.
Cloe’s mom told us that they had a fire at their home on Gerry Dr. early yesterday morning. She had left to bring her son to school and Cloe, who is 5 years old, was home with her grandmother who is blind. Cloe was awaken by the fire alarm, saw smoke and flames and ran to her grandmother’s room to wake her. She woke her grandmother and told her the house was on fire and they had to get out. Her grandmother wanted to get her shoes but Cloe told her no – they had to get out. Cloe told her grandmother to hold onto her shoulders and then led her grandmother and the family pet out of the house to safety. Once she was safe Cloe went to neighbors for help.
Cloe’s mom is so proud of her daughter, as are we. She was thankful that Cloe had the opportunity to learn about fire safety during her visit to the fire station.
Thanks to the Kenner Fire Department for welcoming our students to their fire station and taking the time out of their day to teach them about fire safety, this family survived this tragedy with no loss of life, only loss of property.