Juilliard for Mia Caceres-Nielsen
My name is Mia Caceres-Nielsen and I appreciate you taking your time to read my story!
Local Palm Beach County student and Dance Alive National Ballet dancer, Mia Caceres-Nielsen, has had the privilege of being accepted to The Juilliard School's BFA Dance Program. She is one of 12 girls and 12 boys in the world to be selected for this year's dance program at Juilliard. This is an exceptional opportunity and a true honor.
Mia is a student at Dreyfoos School of the Arts. During her senior year at Dreyfoos, she has been dancing professionally with Dance Alive National Ballet, under the direction of Kim Tuttle, as well as training with Deborah Marquez at School of Ballet Arts. She spent the prior three years training with Magaly Suarez in Pompano Beach, and has spent summers with Alonzo King Lines Ballet, The Juilliard School, Carreno Dance Festival, Ellison Ballet, and The Harid Conservatory. She has also attended Bak MSOA, and is a former student of Southern Dance Theatre. Before attending The Juilliard School in the fall, she will attend Alonzo King Lines Summer Intensive on scholarship.
Mia has lived in Palm Beach County her entire life and has been taking dance classes since the age of 5. She is the only child of a single parent and it has been quite an adventure pursuing this art form. Between academics, a demanding Dreyfoos schedule, online college courses, driving to North Florida weekly for Dance Alive rehearsals and keeping up with local training, it leaves her little free time, but her passion for dance remains infinite! Mia's time at Juilliard will allow her to fulfill her lifelong dream and her ambition to grow as an artist!
Juilliard is my dream. The Juilliard School has been gracious in their offer of assistance, but there are still significant costs of attendance remaining. My mom is a single parent and my sole provider. This presents a challenge for her to pay for these costs on her own. I intend to do work study and am willing to take some student loans, but I am also trying to help by raising funds to cover a portion of my unmet need. I would be forever grateful for any contribution to my campaign.
From the bottom of our hearts, my Mom and I thank you for any help you could give with this exciting new path in my life!
Thank you for also helping by sharing this campaign!
Check out a Mia performance video HERE!
Watch WPBF's interview with Mia HERE!
The Independent Floria Alligator News about Mia HERE!
Gainesville Downtown's Blog Post about Mia HERE!
• Debuted in my first Juilliard performance "New Dances" in December, 2017.
• Worked as a marketing intern, in Juilliard's Community Outreach office, and as an usher for the Concert Office.
• Full days of dance classes and rehearsals, music studies and liberal arts class in Ethics. Completed 23.5 credit hours.
• Involved with ArtSwap, Juilliard Mentoring and Juilliard's LatinX organization.
Accomplishments from Spring 2018 Semester:
• Performed in the 60th Anniversary of Missa Brevis with my first year class at the Choreographic Honors Concert in May, 2018.
• Awarded the Gluck Fellowship as a group leader leading a team of artists which include myself as a dancer, a violinist, and two jazz trombone players; we will be performing in community service shows around the city.
• Completed liberal arts course "Society, Politics, and Culture" along with full days of dance classes, music studies and rehearsals.
• Continued working as a Concert Office Usher, Assistant in the Office of Community Engagement, Substitute Teacher for CLIMB Program.
• Worked in the Admissions Office during Audition Week over spring break and helped students who wanted to attend Juilliard next fall.
• Continued involvement with ArtSwap, Mentoring and LatinX organizations.
• Performed in the April workshop in a piece titled “Little Women” by Elizabeth Faber, a fellow student from West Palm Beach.
Current Summer 2018:
• Attended Summer Training at Alonzo King Lines Ballet in San Francisco, California on scholarship.
• Completed position as a Summer RA for The Juilliard School Dance Intensive this July.
• Training with Laura Alonso of Ballet National de Cuba in early August 2018.
• Training with my former employer / director from Dance Alive National Ballet in Gainesville during late August 2018.
Upcoming Year 2018/2019:
• Will perform in ChoreoComp with second year dancers; an interdivisional class that offers new collaboration between third year dance choreographers and composers.
• Looking forward to being in the Spring Repertory Performances for the first time. Sophomore, Junior and Seniors perform in this annual show. Rep will include the Rite of Spring by Martha Graham.
• New Dances in December 2018 will offer the opportunity for second year dancers including myself to work with Nelly van Bommel.
• Welcoming change in direction under Alicia Graf Mack as the new Artistic Director of the Juilliard Dance division.
• Welcoming Damian Woetzel as the new President of The Juilliard School.
• Will be involved in the Table of Silence performance in September as a tribute to those lost in 9/11.
If you are ever in New York City and would like to attend a Juilliard Performance, the public performance calendar is posted at www.juilliard.edu. I would love to see you at a show!
Again, I am grateful always for your contribution to my education dream! Thank you so very much!
Anyone local to South Florida, I am performing in the Cuballet Gala this coming Sunday, flyer is attached!
Thank you again to all for your support!
Mia and I will be posting an update about her first year at Juilliard soon. She left her freshmen year and went straight to a training program in San Francisco. She is performing tonight in their show and it is available to watch online!
Alonzo King Lines Showcase - tonight at 8pm PDT - you can livestream for $10 if you would like to watch! She's in the opening number so don't be late! https://summer.linesballet.org/events/
Please continue to share Mia's GoFundMe and articles - we appreciate the support!
Monica & Mia!
Our gratitude again for your support and sharing of this campaign and news!
Monica & Mia!