Matthew Leukemia Fight

$11,768 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 128 people in 49 months


Our 4 year old son was diagnosed with High Risk Leukemia. He has already received 7 blood transfusions, 5 platelet transfusions and 2 cryo's. He will require more as treatment continues in effort to save his life. Matthew is in need of A-, O- or AB but wheather you are a match or not, I encourage donation none the less; as there just maybe a child you do match and end up saving their life. When Donating please let them know its in the name of Matthew Morales Thank you


You can also Follow Us on

https://www.facebook.com/moralesfamily2002
https://twitter.com/MatthewDMorales

+ Read More

Update: Matthew is still having 103 fevers despite being on 3 antibiotics. Tylenol hasn't seemed to break them. His ANC is at 0, still no appetite and tonight he suddenly became lethargic, slow responsive, random foot and hand twitching and complaining of blurry vision in left eye.

Oncologist ordered head CT stat and added on an antifungal. Extra labs and reorder of his cbc to go with his cultures....... but wait; his central line decided to stop working.

TP, which a declotting solution, was given so that all the labs and cultures could be drawn.

Since he was admitted Wednesday, Matthew has needed daily transfusions. The fluids they are giving him has made his face, feet and hands puffy and uncomfortable.

Right now we wait for CT results and if other specialist are needed
+ Read More
Please Share https://www.facebook.com/moralesfamily2002
Update: I am guilty of getting lost in the moments of home life and for this, updates were sacrificed and for that I am sorry. But I have just been soaking up the time that I have all 3 boys at home and time together with no hospitalizations. Especially knowing that Matthew's brothers will be back in school soon ( 8/10 ).

The best news, is that Matthew has been doing great! He hit his mark as needed to stop the GCSF but continues to have bad leg pain and at various times, back pain so MRI's of his right leg, and hip were done for possible bone damage from chemo and or steroids that could be causing the pain. They were clear! This means that the leg pain is likely linked to his neuropathy. He then had labs drawn for admissions for HD Mtx which he did not meet. This meant another delay.

We had hoped the delay would be only one week, however with his continuous, although various, and not consistent back pain, his Oncologist wanted an MRI of his brain and spine before another Lumbar Puncture and Interthical Chemo into the spine was done. Because of this scheduling we were pushed out by another week. With that push, and if counts allowed, it would have put his next inpatient stay right smack in the middle of his birthday, August 12th. We had discussed with his Onc and requested prior, that if at all possible, to avoid such a thing, being that he spent his last birthday inpatient. She agreed and compromised. He would not be admitted the Monday of his birthday week and instead will go in for labs the day before (8/11) and be admitted the day after (8/13). YAY!! This arrangement made him VERY happy but it also made it for a busy week as I also had to get his brother's ready for back to school. *I would like to thank those who helped make that possible, as you know who you are*

The question is now, what to do for an immune-compromised kids 6th birthday that had a last ANC of 525?! Matthew personally asked an Onc for permission to go to the beach and build sand castles. A request that was denied. He then promptly asked for permission to go camping, and was told okay, so long as it wasn't "beach" camping or "rough" camping. A surprise response to both I and the surrounding Nurse's but also a request that would be hard to pull off in such a short time. So, although we have an "ok", this request is on hold with such a low ANC and short notice to arrange. We also got his MRI results back on his brain and spine ..... the brain is good with no abnormalities and his spine shows no deterioration but does show damage to his lumbar due to the LP's. This may be the reason for the back pain and could get worse as he continues to get them but for now, is not a reason to hold off on the next round. Again, I thank you SOOO much for all your love, and support through his journey and most of all, for being patient with me on the updates!

Ps. We did find something new and exciting for him to experience for his birthday. Below are pictures of Matthew and his brother's going on a train ride, for the FIRST time ever, to San Juan Capistrano, where we ate an early lunch before riding the train back home. We will be celebrating with immediate family with cake and ice cream on his actual birthday, Wednesday, August 12th. My baby boy will be 6 and how thankful I am for this milestone!
+ Read More
Update: Matthew's last labs improved but not enough so the chemo hold is still on. This means that he has not been able to take his oral chemo for the majority of his time home and as outlined in his protocol missed the ability to take his 6MP totally before his next round. We need his counts to come up enough so that he can at least get his last few dose's of oral Mtx and not have the next round delayed.

On a good note, the Oncologist have decided that he did well enough on the last few rounds, that this round can be done outpatient. Originally, this ivy chemo round was to be outpatient and ivy HD Mtx rounds inpatient but were concerned and wanted him in for both to keep a closer eye on him. 5 days of 5 hour chemo in OPI will not be easy but we at least get to go home each day!

This past week Matthew has gotten to enjoy "outside" life a little more. He received tickets to the "Discovery Center" when he won the Student Succeeding award and they were expiring soon, so we went in the middle of the week when it wouldn't be so busy. Matthew just loved it and all the time he is getting to spend with his brother's (they started Spring Break this week). We even started their Spring Break off right with a short play date with CHOC buddy Nico. Thank you all so much for all your prayers that you give to our family and to those close to us!!
+ Read More
Update: Matthew did so great that for the first time, he cleared his high dose Mtx in 48hr mark. His usual is 96hr mark, so this is a big surprise but such a blessing! Because of this we got to go home sooner than expected. :)

Sunday, Matthew started to have headaches, stomach pain, seemed extra tired and even had a nose bleed, but given the situation, I went as planned and started the job training week....... that honestly did not go as planned. First day there, there were some difficult moments for multiple reasons; some for the obvious and others not so obvious. It also didn't help that when I got home seem to have be a rougher shape. Not having really eaten, and now crying in pain that he couldn't swallow. His temperature also teetered on the feverish side (99.6-100.2). After some long negotiating and crying, Matthew finally let me see inside his mouth where, sure enough, Mouth Sores. I couldn't see all the way down or in but with just the sound of his voice and the pain he cried about, I knew the sores were also in his throat.

Tuesday's clinic appointment, I opted to go and miss that morning training. After the Oncologist saw how he looked (miserable) and confirmed the sores, his oral Mtx was reduced and was told that I would likely need help at home this week. When I relayed that Dad was there but due to my starting a job, it was relayed that this week was probably not the best week to start. That to a mother is all that is needed. Home this week it is, my son's health is first!!

Matthew is beginning to feel better and eating soft foods but still has the sores. I know if his ANC was not as good as it is, the sores would be much worse, so for that and many other things, like your all's support, we are thankful!!
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$11,768 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 128 people in 49 months
Created January 22, 2014
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
or
Or, use your email…
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.