Library Folks in Solidarity
-Enter shirt size in comments section (XS-4XL)
-Shirts take between 4-6 weeks from date of order to receipt
-Folks ordering outside of the continental U.S.--please email me before ordering, as the cost is slightly higher due to additional international postage
In the days since the election, members of our library community have been scared, vulnerable, and targeted for violence. This campaign is a small act of resistance and protest against white supremacy, sexism, ableism, homophobia, racism, religious persecution, hate speech, xenophobia, and other forms of oppression. Libraries are not neutral. People who work in libraries are not neutral. This campaign is about social justice, taking a stand against oppression and hate, and welcoming people from all backgrounds and communities (especially the marginalized) into our institutions.
For a $20 donation, contributors receive a bad-ass library tee-shirt. The shirt is available in unisex sizes XS-4XL, and reads:
Library Folks In solidarity with Muslims, Refugees, Asian Pacific Islanders, NoDAPL, Immigrants, Latinx, Women, Indigenous People, Jewish Communities, Black Lives Matter, People with Disabilities, LGBTQIA Community, All Vulnerable People
Purpose of Shirts:
· To publicly and openly offer support and hope to marginalized and oppressed groups of library users who are currently being targeted
· To raise awareness and organize library workers who stand against ignorance and hate; to start a dialogue with one another; to build relationships and allies among our colleagues.
· To take a stand and object against the myth of libraries being neutral, to share the message that people who work in libraries will not tolerate attacks on the communities that use our institutions.
Actions you can take:
· Share this page with friends and colleagues in the profession.
· Organize a “teach in” at your library or institution and have everyone wear the shirt on the same day. Talk to people who come in about what libraries stand for, and our values of inclusivity
· Share photos of you, friends, and colleagues wearing your shirt on social media, demonstrating that library folks are committed to solidarity and standing with marginalized communities. Use #libraryfolkssolidarity to tag.
Donation Recipient--Political Research Associates:
Proceeds from the sale of the shirts (about 35% of your donation, after the cost of tees, site hosting and postage) will be donated to the social justice think tank Political Research Associates (PRA), to provide them with crucial funds during the next eight weeks before the inauguration.
PRA produces thorough, carefully researched and reliable analysis on the U.S. Right to support social justice advocates and defend human rights. PRA studies the entire spectrum of the U.S. Right–secular, religious, economic, and xenophobic– domestically and overseas. PRA exposes the true agendas of right-wing leaders, institutions, and ideologies. Core issue areas span reproductive justice, LGBTQ rights, racial/immigrant justice, civil liberties, and economic justice.
Inclusion and Social Responsibility:
· The term “library folks” was chosen deliberately, in order to encompass everyone who works in a library setting, regardless of title, educational background, position or salary. I truly believe that each person in the library has an important job and that we could not run successfully without each person's contribution.
· The shirts were printed by hand at a local, independently owned screen-printing shop in San Diego, California. The shirts are produced in WRAP-certified factories dedicated to ethical standards of conduct, which include no sweatshops or child labor and care for the environment.
· Every attempt was made to be as inclusive as possible and to not marginalize, erase, or make anyone invisible. I had a very, very long list, but had to shorten it due to space constraints. I apologize if this shirt does not incorporate everyone that it should.
· If you would like a tee-shirt and cannot afford one, due to being an unemployed or under-employed library worker, please contact me at the email address above, and I can offer a tee-shirt at cost.
My name is Alanna Aiko Moore—I am the Librarian for Ethnic Studies, Critical Gender Studies and Sociology at the University of California, San Diego.
Like many folks, in the days after the election, I was angry, depressed, and wanted to take action. I called politicians, made donations to groups I care about, and researched volunteer opportunities. And I needed to do something more. So I made tee-shirts.
As a librarian committed to social justice and a queer woman of color with invisible disabilites, a gender queer wife and two small children, this campaign is important to me both personally and professionally. This is a time-sensitive fundraising campaign.
I'm happy to communicate with donors who want to know more about how this campaign is working, how their donations are being put to use, etc. Please feel free to contact me at the email address above.
Thank you so very much for your commitment to libraries, social justice, and all vulnerable people.
Thank you so much for your donation to the Library Folks in Solidarity campaign and your patience with receiving the second round of shirts.
I apologize that I am running behind on shipping the shirts out--my whole family (me, wife, two toddlers) was very ill for the entire month of February, my car broke down, and I also work full time, so it was impossible to make the time to sort, pack, label, stamp and mail them out. My independent printer (because I believe in using small, local businesses) also had a backlog, and my order was larger than anticipated. Basically, I was overwhelmed with life.
Shirts were picked up (500+ of them, thank you so much for your orders!) at the end of last month, and I will be mailing them out over the next week or so.
I do not make a dime off this project, but am donating my labor and love (for free!) to create and send out over 1500 tee shirts to over 1000 folks, while raising funds for the amazing non-profit, Political Research Associates. I believe in social justice, libraries and investigative research and this is one of the ways I have chosen to show my commitment.
Thank you for your patience, and if the wait time has been too long, please do let me know and I will refund you immediately.
Alanna Aiko Moore
Many of you have worn your shirts (thanks for the photos) and have had friends remark that they too would like a tee! With so much interest, I have
re-opened the campaign! IMPORTANT THINGS:
--There will be a limited number of tees available for pick up at ALA MW. You must pre-pay and on the Address Line indicate "PICK UP ALA MW."
--If you would like a tee shipped to you, be aware that these will not be mailed out until the first week of Feb.
--I cannot ship tees outside the U.S., apologies!
Please share with your networks, far and wide, and here's to shaking things up in 2017!
In the two weeks since the campaign closed, I have been printing address labels, purchasing mailing supplies, ordering and picking up boxes of tees, and buying stamps. This past weekend, some wonderful friends came over to help sort all the shirts, label envelopes, fold and pack tees, and affix postage. Five hours later, and we were done! I am so grateful for their help, as there is no way I could have gotten hundreds of tees out without their assistance!
I've been dropping tees off at the post office--all 500 plus of them-- in batches this week, so keep your eyes open for the mail! And if you love your tee and want to post a pic on social media, use #libraryfolkssolidarity
Please do take a minute to read the materials I've enclosed from Political Research Associates (PRA) and consider making a donation, monthly pledge or subscribing to their award winning journal.
Thank you all so much for your support--it is more than I could have ever imagined.
A quick update that I will be closing the campaign and putting in my last order for tees to the shop on next Tuesday, Dec. 6.
If you have friends who have not yet gotten their shirt and were waiting for payday at the end of the month, this is the LAST CALL. Some of you have also suggested wearing that we all wear the shirt at Midwinter at the Atlanta march for social justice. I'll have mine on and cannot wait!
Thanks again for all your support! I'll post more info soon when we get ready to mail all of these out!
Just wondering on status of my order, placed in October last year. Thank you!
Just came across this and LOVE it! It seems like this GoFundMe is long over, and was never available outside of the US (I work at Richmond Public Library, in Canada) but is there any way I can a) contribute, and b) get the original image so I can have a t-shirt made for myself and possibly my co-workers (at cost, won't be trying to turn a profit on your work). Kind regards.
Hi there, I made a donation but missed the place where I note the size. I would like an adult Medium, please. Thanks!
Didn't read the directions well so long ago. Please send me an XL shirt as soon as you can. Thanks.
I LOVE MY SHIRT!!!! So worth the wait!!! Thank you!!!!
If you aren’t still doing this anymore, then you should end this campaign.
Are you still sending tee shirts? I donated 5 months ago and was just wondering.
Great project-- thanks for all of your time and effort! I forgot to put my shirt size in my donation comment-- XS please!
It looks like the most recent update was a few months ago. Wondering about my order which was placed on 4/26. Thanks!
Hi there! Just wondering if there was any word on the shirts. Still haven't received mine.
Jenn Harmer- I just donated. Size Large shirt please. I'm hoping it arrives by April 22 for the science March.
I received my shirt in the mail today and I love it! Thank you again for devoting so much of your personal time and energy into this wonderful project!
Alanna Aiko Moore - you're amazing! Thank you for your good work. I love my tshirt.
I just sent you a note about when to expect shipment, but I just your note about the delay. No worries! I hope you and your family are doing better. Best, Paulita
No worries! Thank you for donating your time and effort to do this!