Help Karishad get back on his paws!

$8,500 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 69 people in 27 months
Blaze Fusky
on behalf of Doug Riendeau
Furries are a group of friends and like-minded individuals who celebrate a culture of fun and fantasy. Above that, though, we are a group that cares about each other and the world around us.

Many of us know of a fun little fox named Karishad, be it personally or through social media.  Recently, Kari's gotten sick and has had to spend quite a  bit of money to help get himself healthier. 

It pains me to see anyone having to find themselves in debt just to ensure they are able to get healthy and continue living their happy lives (and making others happy along the way).  That's where YOU come in.

A few of us wanted to get together (with Karishad's permission) to create this page to try and collect some money to help offset his medical bills.  As a community, we come together when it is most important to support life.  Whether it is for the lives of the animals cared for by various charities we raise money for at cons, or for those close friends in the community, we do a great job showing we care!

This holiday season, please take a moment to consider donating to help a great guy get back on his feet!  If you aren't able to support finanically, please help spread the word that this campaign exists.  From the bottom of my heart...thank you for your support!
+ Read More
An update from Karishad:

Well this is a good new bad news update I suppose.

Since the last update, tests, evaluations, and a LOT of debate between my team of cardiologists and electrophysiologists took place as they tried to figure out the best course of treatment. That finally came to a marginal agreement amongst them and on June 13th I was back in the hospital for scheduled procedures that lasted nearly nine hours total. During that time they performed a second 5-point ablation procedure on me in hopes that it would take care of a persistent tachycardia that I've been experiencing since the first ablation procedure. During the first ablation procedure they (at least so far) did manage to take care of the SVT issue, but that seems to have left the door open for two other forms of it, one of which is rather difficult to treat with ablation, but there have been some success stories to date, so they decided to give it a try. That was for IST or Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia, which is where somewhere along the chain of command, the body thinks that the heart needs to beat faster than it actually does. It's unaffected by position or activity in that you can just be sitting watching TV and suddenly your pulse takes off anywhere from 120 to 200 BPM for no reason, but it maintains a normal sinus rhythm during the whole time it is fast. These can last anywhere from fifteen minutes to several days. While not considered life threatening on their own, they can however trigger other arrhythmias that can be. The other source of tachycardia that came to light was AT or Atrial Tachycardia. Those episodes were dramatic in onset and runup, but relatively shorted lived...usually under five minutes but they easily topped out over 250PM during those episodes So the ablation was to take care of the AT and hopefully take care of or at least reduce the IST.

The second part of the procedure was to take care of scar tissue on a heart valve that was causing excessive regurgitation which could lead to improper emptying of the chambers and allowing clots to form which can lead to stroke or embolisms. So that issue was addressed and taken care of. The other heart valves that I mentioned in a previous update are according to them still within the acceptable range of regurgitation and at this time are not going to cause any problems. The one they did fix was "well beyond our comfort zone" which is why they went in. That one thankfully was a matter of cutting scar tissue so that the valve itself could function properly.

Final aspect was the placement of a stent in an artery that had restricted flow. Honestly in reading about those things after the fact, I think I would have elected not to have had that done as they tend to be more problems than they're worth. But for now it seems to work.

Now the bad news

They may need to go back in again for either more ablation and or a pacemaker. I was fine the first three days after all of this and they sent me home with a home care nurse that comes by three times a day to make me do my exercises and checks the incision and catheter sites to make sure they're healing ok and to check all my vitals. Well starting on Sunday I started having really bad arrhythmia episodes and those continued into the week. I was transported back to the cardiologists office for an evaluation and ECG. The result of that were inconclusive as they were not able to get a clear understanding to what they were seeing on those ECG's. So right now I am back on my heart monitor doing real time monitoring and reporting back to their office so they can see what the heart is doing. They plan on doing this for the next seven days and then making the determination on what they need to do.

It's not that uncommon for ablation procedures to trigger other arrhythmias or to ultimately require the implanting of a pacemaker. At this point I am looking at the positive side in that prior to the ablations, I was not even a candidate for a pacemaker because I had so many various arrhythmias going on that a pacemaker would have never been able to keep up. But now that they've taken care of the SVT and the annoying PVC/PAC's that were being triggered by it are gone, they can eliminate as many auxiliary paths as possible in the heart to lessen or eliminate the remaining arrhythmias and then a pacemaker can actually do it's job.

Costs? Yeah....I'm already over $10K back in the hole from the last gotta love co-insurance costs, and if they do another ablation and or have to put in a pacemaker, that's just going to crank up that debt even more. I have been trying to get a personal loan...but my god you'd think I was asking for a million dollars. The monthly payments and interest rates on those are insane, even if they're spread out over six years...which in itself is hard to find many that offer that. Most want a 2-3 year max length.

As for me....tired. Fatigue and sudden naps are common right now and it has been a hell of a challenge to me to keep my mental state up and keep being the goofball I normally am. And for the public side, I maintain that but there is a lot of behind the scenes down moments where I really have to struggle to keep myself going. Rick has been amazing in keeping me from crashing totally, but I know I've been a huge strain on him as well. I do want to thank everyone for your support, thoughts, prayers, paws and help. Knowing there are so many wonderful critters out there is one key part that keeps me going.
+ Read More
First and foremost I want to say thank you again for everyone who has helped out either via donations, thoughts, prayers and even the silly box of orange tennis ball foxes one of ya nuts sent anon. I deeply appreciate all the help and efforts in getting me through all these tests and the ablation procedure. You are all very awesome and again I cannot thank all of you enough for the help and support.

Ok, so moving into the latest round of testing, they initially wanted to make certain that the heart's structure itself was stable enough to go back in and do more procedures on me. A second ablation and pacemaker following that had been planned if the heart was sound. The answer to that question was 'sort of'. While the general structure of the heart muscle itself is in good shape, the valves on the other hand are not what one would consider the most efficient in the world. There is moderate regurgitation in the Aortic valve, mitral valve, tricuspid valve and pulmonic valve. The overall ejection fraction is 52-58% which is down from 66% one year the heart has lost about 10% of it's pumping ability in that time. On the bottom backside of the heart they list a "medium-large sized fixed inferoapical defect" which translates into there is a blockage of significant concern. On the last scan that I had a year ago, there was a "small but clinically insignificant area of anteroapical ischemia" which is the front tip of the heart, that did not show up in this scan so it resolved itself thankfully, however the new blockage is much larger and formed in a matter of a year and that one has them considerably worried and could possibly explain the pain I get randomly that is also associated with triggering arrhythmias. And speaking of those...during the Lexiscan test, QT/ST changes were noted along with my usual inverted T-waves. But they didn't abort the test like usual, they let that crap run it's course..which IMO was a good thing because they get to see everything the heart is doing electrically while under stress.

So as it stands I have a meeting with the entire cardiology team in a week to discuss what is going on and what (if anything) they plan on doing about all of the various issues. I thought the initial costs of tests and heart monitors was ridiculous...that first round, has nothing on what this latest bit ran. I can honestly see why people just wait until they're on death's door to seek medical care and then try and dodge collection agents the rest of their's stupidly expensive and extremely disheartening. But, at least I had the staff at the hospital groaning and giggling through the tests at all my bad puns and silly comments. They need the break from the tension now and then.
+ Read More
An update from Kari:

Apologies for the lack of updates since the ablation procedure. While the procedure itself was a success, the upsides to that were short lived as I started feeling worse and having a lot of rather troublesome new symptoms, such as fatigue, extreme difficulty focusing, remembering or honestly just functioning on some days. Also in the midst of all of this I moved from UT to Northern California (which has been in the works for over a year now and finally came to fruition). Now that I have new doctors who are up to speed on what has happened and where I stand now, they dug into why I was feeling the way I was. Simply put the heart's electrical system is beyond messed up. On 4/17 I have a cardiac echo (ultrasound) test scheduled to reevaluate the structure of the heart, then on 4/21 I have yet another *shudders* nuclear medicine stress test to go through. Once they have those tests along with the seemingly never ending blood work, they will make the decision on approving me for a new pacemaker that is capable of handing both bradycardia, tachycardia and functionally interrupting any SVT or long run PVC/PAC's that I may experience. There may be a second ablation procedure done the same day the pacemaker is implanted. The pacemaker is pretty small, 1/4" wide by 3/4" long and it uses low power BT to broadcast to nearby devices than can then retransmit the information via email to the doctors. It's also remotely programmable from outside the body so if my heart changes, they can reprogram remotely it to better function with the changes in the heart. The hope here is to establish as normal of a rhythm as possible and to stabilize the blood pressure so that the organs get the blood and O2 they need reliably rather than very erratically as they have been...and ultimately to give me my life back

It's frustrating, and each time you have to take a step back is hard mentally to stay above the depression that always want to jump in. But I do my best with what I have and I am thankful for what I have as I know people have things a lot worse off than I do health wise.
+ Read More
Quick update on the first month of heart monitoring which actually showed a disturbing trend in that I had 12 episodes of Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT). It was previously believed that the SVT I have was a very minor issue, however it is now the top priority item to resolve. On the very first day monitoring started I had a nearly 20 minute long episode of SVT and as you can see in the ECG sample, the resting pulse rate was in the 190's with one burst up to 247 towards the end of the first strip. The second strip shows the event slowing winding down and the pulse very gradually coming back down. There were many "run up" events where my pulse would race up to over 200 and then the heart essentially shorted which terminated the SVT event and the pulse went back down into the 70's. Those heart monitors just found a problem they didn't think I had much issue with and that changes the plans around a lot. But for right now, I am now scheduled for a SVT ablation procedure in three weeks. Once that is done, another 30 day round of monitoring will take place to see what the heart is doing and if other issues were resolved during the upcoming ablation procedure. Once they have a new image of what the heart is doing, we'll move on to step two.

Again I cannot thank everyone enough for all the help you've given. I know money is tight for everyone and I appreciate all the help. This is going to be a longer process than I anticipated and I've no idea what the crappy insurance will cover procedure wise. Hopefully it will be the usual hospitalization co-insurance that I have to come up with and nothing more.
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update
Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.

$8,500 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 69 people in 27 months
Created December 18, 2016
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
1 month ago
14 months ago
King Moonracer
15 months ago

Season's Greetings!

17 months ago
Jrogenshin Dragon
18 months ago

I hope Karishad is able to be the fun and bouncy fox that he is! May these few bucks help =x There's not much I can donate, but I do hope it helps...

18 months ago
20 months ago
Star Kitty
20 months ago

Get better foxie!

Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.