Karalyne Sahady

$41,545 of $50,000 goal

Raised by 411 people in 13 months
Created February 13, 2018

27716162_1518545362.5449_funddescriptionOn Sunday, 2/11/18, Kelly & Lance learned some devastating news about their 10 week old daughter, Karalyne. She has been diagnosed with AML, Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. This has come as a complete shock to their entire family, and they are still dealing with the realization that their sweet baby will have to go through months/years of rigorous treatments to try and overcome this rare infant disease. Aside from having to take care of Karalyne in the hospital, Kelly and Lance also have 6 other children between the two of them, 3 of which primarily live with them, and the other 3 visit regularly. They are still trying to figure out how to go from here as far as properly caring for all the kids and being with Karalyne in the hospital for the next 4 months or more. 

Kelly is still on maternity leave, but it ends on 2/21, at which time she is expected to be “active” at work again. This is a tricky situation because Kelly lost her role at her company before having the baby, but was allowed to go on paid leave for 12 weeks and resume her “transition” period after her maternity leave in order to find another role in the company and not lose her job. With this recent turn of events, Kelly will not be able to return to her employer and find another role in the allotted time. This is extremely unfortunate because she will need the insurance to cover some of the costs for Karalyne’s treatment, as well as a paycheck to pay for the out of pocket costs in addition to their normal costs of living. Cobra will be subsidized for 6 months, and then will be unaffordable. Lance has his own flooring business, but is having to turn away work and/or pay others to go do the work he was planning to do himself. All of these circumstances are placing additional burden on Kelly and Lance during a time when they should be able to care for their sick daughter and focus on their 6 other children as well.

A CaringBridge website is being set up for the family to post updates on Karalyne’s progress, and will be posted soon. If you can find it in your hearts to help them, please consider donating to this Go Fund Me account. No amount is too small. Anything will help them as they begin this battle to save Karalyne’s life.
+ Read More
Thank you all for continuing to check in on our sweet girl!

We are currently finishing up cycle 4 of treatment. Karalyne's counts have been zero for a week now, and we are hoping to start seeing them rise any day now, so that we can have a break at home. After spending the majority of the last 5 months in the hospital, each day becomes more trying. If all goes well, we hope to transfer to Johns Hopkins by the end of the month for Kara's bone marrow transplant. Please continue to send prayers and positive vibes our way that all goes as planned.

For regular, more detailed updates, please check out our caring bridge site: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karalynesahady/

Thank you for all the love, support, and prayers!


P.S. Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) came to visit Karalyne at the hospital. Check out the pictures below!
+ Read More
A Message from Kelly & Lance:

Thank you to everyone for all the continued support you have given to us, as we continue to fight this battle to save Karalyne's life. With a bone marrow transplant on hold, we are now going through a third round of treatment to try and get her to a place where we can successfully move forward with transplant. With the Leukemia now in her brain (even though it isn't in her bone marrow), we find ourselves fighting a very hard battle. We are doing everything we can to avoid having to do radiation to her brain, which would result in severe mental delays for her later in life. It is also a process that would require a lot of our little girl and must only be used as a last resort.

We continue to post regular updates on our Caring Bridge site, so please feel free to follow our story there. https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karalynesahady

We will also update this site periodically. Thank you to everyone for all the continued love, support, and prayers.
+ Read More
First, thank you for the continued donations. Your kindness and generosity has been beyond anything we could have imagined. Thank you so very much. We wanted to share an update that was posted on caring bridge last night:
I debated whether to post this or not because some stuff is still up in the air, but I know how much all of you care about our sweet girl and want to know, so here it goes...

After waiting all day, and feeling anxious all day, I got a call at 4:45pm from our doctor. I had to conference Lance in to the call because he was out of town all day working. Our doctor sounded upbeat at the start of the call, which had me feeling relieved, but then he called our results a "mixed bag" (of good and bad, basically), and my stomach dropped. The good news is that Karalyne's bone marrow is still MRD Negative. There was NO evidence of disease in her marrow. The other good news is that her spinal fluid still shows NO leukemia cells in it. Both of these results should be those in which you yell out for joy, right!?!! Yes! Until you remember you have this follow-up MRI to deal with. Unfortunately, the results of the MRI were not good. The couple of tiny spots seen previously (on the MRI from 3/20/18) are still there, but now there are more. Also, at least one of the spots grew in size from 2-3mm to 4mm. This doesn't seem dramatic, but it is still concerning. I asked how many spots, in total, were seen, and our doctor didn't know. I asked him to send me the report, but it doesn't clearly state how many. All I know is there are more, and that is not good. The fact that one of them grew larger, is not good.

So, where do we go from here.......... Our doctor had already sent the images and report to both CHOP and Hopkins for review and opinion, and he is waiting to hear back from them, but he is suggesting that we do a biopsy of one of the spots in her brain. He has spoken to the neurosurgeon, who has confirmed that the largest spot, which is 5mm in size, is very close to the outer edge of her brain at the front of her head (near the hair line) and would be easily accessible for biopsy. The other spots are smaller and much deeper inside, so they cant be touched. He believes this is the only way to know if these small spots are leukemia. If they are Leukemia, we obviously can not go to transplant until they are resolved, and that's a whole other conversation to be had with various doctors. Our doctor would like to do the brain biopsy ASAP so no time is wasted, and we agree. We are supposed to have another phone call tomorrow, and if all goes as discussed today, we would likely be admitted this coming Monday for surgery, which will then require a few days recovery in the hospital. If it ends up being leukemia, we may not get to go back home right away, but I don't know. We were told that the portion of the brain they will be accessing is one with little risk, and they wouldn't even use anti-seizure meds for it, so that gives us some comfort, I guess.

As a mother of a child with cancer, nothing prepares you for this roller coaster of emotions . One day I feel upbeat and optimistic, and the next I feel let down, scared, and angry. The worst part about it all is that it's completely out of my hands. There is absolutely nothing I can do to fix this for her. Aside from asking questions and doing my own research to make sure we are exploring all avenues for treatment, and of course praying, her condition is out of my hands. I cant fix my little girl, and it hurts more than any other pain I have ever felt in my life. I want to be strong for her, for my husband, and of course for my other children, but honestly, news like this leaves me feeling broken and without any strength at all. I do take solace in knowing we don't know for sure yet, and even the doctors don't know, so there is still a chance it is not Leukemia, but the realist in me says there is still a chance it is, and that scares the hell out of me.

In other news, Karalyne had an off day today, and I'm not sure if it's a residual effect from two days of sedation this week or what, but she slept a lot and was extra fussy. Lance was gone all day, and with the news this afternoon, I needed some help with the other kids who had stuff going on this evening. Thankfully, my mom and step dad came to the rescue by taking care of pick-ups and drop-offs, helping with the baby, and even going out to grab me and the kids some dinner. I ended up giving Karalyne some Tylenol this evening, and about 30 minutes later, in conjunction with a bottle, she seemed to perk back up and the fussiness subsided. Lance is home now, and I'm feeling a little less broken.

Please pray for Karalyne. Please pray for these spots to not be Leukemia. Please pray for me to be strong for my baby girl and my whole family. As always, thank you for caring enough to follow our story and for all your love and support.

P.S. Thank you to everyone who has bought a KaralyneStrong t-shirt. It means a lot to us! There are 4 more days to buy one. If you are interested, here is the link:
+ Read More
Message from Kelly & Lance:
Hello Friends! Please follow our CaringBridge site for updates on Karalyne. You can link to it here: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karalynesahady

It has been some time since we posted an update on here, and there have been so many generous donations since our last note. We wanted to take a moment to say Thank You to those who have contributed to our campaign. We are so incredibly grateful for all the love and support we have received and continue to receive from our family, friends, and even people we have never met. Your generosity has touched our hearts, and we only hope that one day we will be able to pay it forward to someone in need as you have done for us.

As a quick update on here (for anyone not wanting to follow the caring bridge), Karalyne is in round 2 of her treatment and doing well so far (day 10). We will be moving to transplant in the coming weeks, though not sure how soon just yet. She is currently MRD Negative, or "in remission", but I use that term lightly because she would not stay in remission if we stopped treatment. She has come a long way from her days in the PICU when we originally started this Go Fund Me page, but she has a long way to go to get to a permanent healthy state.

Thank you again for all the love and support you have shown to us. Please continue to check in either on here or on our caring bridge where we post regular updates.

Kelly, Lance, and Karalyne
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$41,545 of $50,000 goal

Raised by 411 people in 13 months
Created February 13, 2018
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
6 days ago
Doug Bultemeyer
23 days ago
24 days ago
Stella Garton
24 days ago
Jill Voorhees
25 days ago
Cindy Latimer
25 days ago
William Meadows
26 days ago
Sabrina Payne
26 days ago
Donna Michalek
26 days ago
Glenda Terry
27 days ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.