86
86
4

Help Sir Humphrey

$5,840 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 111 people in 14 months
30774724_1530134291681625_r.jpegHumphrey was rescued from the slaughter pipeline in July 2017 by Rancho Relaxo. When he arrived home from quarantine, he had numerous medical issues that needed to be addressed. We decided to foster him and help him overcome his issues. After months of daily intensive care, in December 2017, Rancho Relaxo allowed us to adopt Humphrey after falling in love with him. Shortly after his adoption, he required 3 invasive surgeries exceeding $8,000 that were due to his past neglect and abuse. After 2 months in rehabilitation, he was able to come home in March. Things seemed to be running semi smoothly for our boy until June 17th. When I went to see Humphrey that morning, he had minor swelling under his belly. Over the past 4 days it has progressively gotten worse and so has his condition. Humphrey is now requiring ultrasounds and various other tests and images on top of his daily care and medical issues.

UPDATE 6/27/18 - Humphrey arrived home late Monday night. After numerous scans at New Bolton, they are unsure of what his edema and hematoma are stemming from… and his diagnoses for these are inconclusive. HOWEVER, we found another medical issue Humphrey has when the ultrasound was being conducted.

Prior to Humphrey going to New Bolton, he had blood drawn to be tested. This blood work came back showing high levels of Calcium, Creatine Kinase (CK), Lactic Acid  Dehydrogenase (LDH) and low phosphorous. At first, we suspected a potential cardiac issue. After his imaging, it shows that his heart is functioning properly as well as his other vital organs. When the team at New Bolton was imaging Humphrey, the did find a small mass on his parathyroid gland, which is most likely the cause of the high calcium and low phosphorous. They ended up pulling another blood sample and sent it to the lab for an evaluation of Humphrey’s ionized calcium, parathyroid levels and parathyroid hormone related peptide. 
Once this blood work comes back, Humphrey will need a biopsy of the mass to determine if it is malignant or benign, and then surgery to remove the mass. Hopefully, this will take care of his elevated calcium and low phosphorus levels.

We were instructed to keep a close eye on Humphrey, if the edema gets worse he will have to go right back to New Bolton. Until his blood work comes back, he will be staying at home where his is comfortable. 
Although we did not find a cause for our initial reason of going to New Bolton, we found another health issue that needed to be addressed. Hyperparathyroid is RARE in horses and many times can go undiagnosed without blood work and imaging.  Removing this tumor on his parathyroid will help Humphrey to live a normal life.  High calcium levels can cause fatigue, confusion, belly pain, muscle and bone pain and eventually lead to kidney failure.Although the edema is not related to this issue, it is a blessing in disguise that allowed us to find this tumor.

I am a graduate student trying to finish school while working two jobs.  His last round of surgeries has left me financially drained. I simply cannot give up on him after he has come so far.  I am asking fellow animal lovers out there to help me save Humphrey. 30774724_152963101666890_r.jpegat his intake, July 2017
30774724_1529631230968690_r.jpegHumphrey eye surgery post op Jan 2018
30774724_1529631491504422_r.jpegHumphrey hoof post op quittor surgery Jan 2018
30774724_1529631372933567_r.jpegHumphrey ventral pitting edema June 2018
30774724_1529631537537532_r.jpegHumphrey  ventral pitting edema, June 2018

30774724_1530134008219536_r.jpeg
Home from imaging! June 25, 2018


To follow Humphreys journey, check out his Instagram @humphreythemule
+ Read More
Hi frens!

Just wanted to give a quick update! We're looking to have Humphrey's surgery in the middle of April! Right now he's living his best life hanging with his BFF's Mickey and Loche, but he's anxious to get surgery and be done! We'll keep you up to date on his exactly surgery day and the details of the surgery and his progress.

And once again, thank you for all of your support. It truly takes a village to help save this beautiful mule, and we couldn't have done it without you.

If you don't follow us on instagram, please do!
@humphreythemule

Love and Carrots,

Humphrey
+ Read More
For #givingtuesday, we are asking everyone to share Humphrey’s post to help for his surgery costs. Please consider sharing his go fund me page! For everyone individual who donates towards his go fund me, or becomes a patron of his Patreon, you will be entered to win one of his canvas photos! The drawing will be the week before Christmas and we are raffling off 10 canvas’ for go fund me and 10 canvas’ for Patreon!
+ Read More
As you all know, in the summer, Humphrey was taken to New Bolton for pitting edema under his belly and blood work that showed elevations in his calcium and various other minerals. Although we were unable to find a diagnosis for the edema other than potential trauma, we DID find a tumor on one of his parathyroid glands during his scan, which would explain the high levels of calcium in his blood.

Humphrey’s doctor at New Bolton seems to think we found this tumor in its very early stages, thank goodness! While at New Bolton, blood work was drawn to check the tumor for malignancy. His blood work did show that the tumor was most likely benign and we had discussed the plan to monitor the tumor with blood work and follow up in November. Blood work was pulled again in the beginning of November for a full work up on Humphrey.

With the results from the November blood work, we found that his ACTH levels, related to his Cushings Disease, were extremely high, and we had to increase his pergolide dosage to help bring that level into normal range. He will be rechecked with blood work in December to ensure his dosage increase was high enough to decrease his ACTH levels. We also found that his calcium levels have increased slightly from his last visit to New Bolton. Although his calcium levels are on the “low end” of the “high” spectrum, we are hypothesizing that this is because the tumor is small and in its beginning stages.

High calcium levels in blood means that calcium is essentially “leaking” out of his cells. The tumor is not allowing the calcium channels to close, therefore Humphrey is not able to maintain the proper calcium levels and is excreting it instead. Long term elevated calcium levels will eventually lead to osteoporosis, kidney failure, endocrine disorders, fatigue, upset stomach, headaches and various other side effects. because Humphrey is so big, (weighing in at almost one ton), he cannot afford to have continued calcium loss. Humphrey carrying his weight alone is enough stress on his bones in a healthy state.

We discussed that the minor change is his elevated calcium levels could allow us to predict that the tumor has only grown slightly and that his surgery team wants it a bit larger to make it easier for removal. We have postponed Humphrey’s surgery another six months and it must be scheduled for April 2019 regardless of how big the tumor is. Prior to the tumor removal, Humphrey has to undergo a radioactive isotope scan that will light up the tumor on imaging so his surgery team can get a good look at the tumor to ensure they are removing all of it. This scan alone will cost $2,000.00. We are looking at and additional $6,000-8,000 for his surgery. This does not include the care or supplies he will need when he comes home.

Thank you, to everyone who has supported Humphrey and continues to support Humphrey throughout his journey. He is a very special boy and we are so glad that he has such a huge family backing him!

With Love,
Humphrey
+ Read More
Humphreys bloodwork reveals that the tumor is benign! It looks like we caught it very early stages. He will need his calcium levels checked monthly for the next few months. Since the tumor is benign, his team at New Bolton wants to let the tumor grow just a tad larger to make the removal of it easier in surgery. He will need another ultrasound in October to check the size and we will go from there.

As far as his edema, we have been "sweating" it out, it has slowly started to go down.

Humphrey's anticipated surgery is going to be late fall, early winter. We are still 9,000 short for his surgery bill. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! <3
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$5,840 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 111 people in 14 months
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
ND
$25
Nicole Dost
4 months ago
DC
$25
Deborah Citron
4 months ago
DS
$10
Danielle Shaw
4 months ago
WM
$10
Wendy Mcnally
4 months ago
EB
$100
Elaine Bongiorno-Cotta
4 months ago
KN
$50
Katie Napoleon
4 months ago
$5
Deborah Skoglund
4 months ago
JR
$50
Jo Roberts
4 months ago
$10
Anonymous
4 months ago
AM
$15
Amy Mahaffey
5 months ago
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.