Help Mia Walk Normally Again
Mia is a 3 year old black and tan coonhound, who was brought to the shelter with a badly damaged and infected right back foot. She was also emaciated and loaded with ticks, and tested positive for tick fever. The shelter vets treated the wound on her infected foot, and began treatment for the tick fever. At this point Southern Arizona Beagle Rescue stepped in to help. Mia has gained 10 pounds, and is thriving in foster care. However, she cannot use that back right leg. We took her to an orthopedic specialist, where x rays revealed that Mia has many small fractures and dislocated bones in her right back foot. We will never know what happened to cause this, but it looks like her foot was crushed somehow. An amputation seemed like the most likely treatment, but then we found that her left hip has significant hip dysplasia. If we amputated her right leg, it would put too much stress on that left hip. Surgery to put plates in the damaged right foot was also out of the questions due to cost and due to the fact that her risk of infection was way too high considering how damaged her foot was and how infected it had been. After consulting with our vets we have decided to have Mia fitted with a custom orthotic brace that will support her foot as it heals and allow her to walk without pain. The estimate for the brace is $600 to $800 dollars plus there will be fittings and adjustments to pay for as well as continued pain meds while she heals. There is also the possibility that she will need continued treatment for her tick fever. In addition, once she is done with her tick fever treatment, and it is safe to spay her, we will do that as well. We are a small all-volunteer 501 c 3 non-profit rescue that relies solely on donations. This will be a large bill for us. This little hound has seen a lot of pain and hurt in her life, and we want to turn that around for her. Please consider donating to our fund so that Mia can walk normally and pain-free.+ Read More
Mia saw the orthopedic vet last week. He confirmed that she appears to have an infection (osteomyelitis) in her broken foot. He is not able to form the cast or make the brace while this is going on. Unfortunately, the antibiotic for bone infections is very expensive - $87 for a 15 day supply, and she will need to be on it for a minimum of 2 months, maybe 4. If the infection persists after that time, her leg will have to be amputated. So, unfortunately we are spending her donations on antibiotics and continued pain meds instead of on her brace, and we may ultimately need to raise more funds for her brace or amputation when all is said and done. We wish we had better news. Through all of this, Mia has been a trooper - still wanting to go on walks and play with her foster brothers and sisters. She is just a love, and we can't wait until all of this is behind her.
Mia was supposed to have her first appointment last week for the "casting" part of getting her brace. Unfortunately, she has had a setback. Our vet thinks she has infection in her bone, because the wound keeps opening back up and is swollen. She is on 3 weeks of a strong antibiotic, which we hope will bring the swelling down so that we can cast it next week.