Help Cove Battle Severe Aplastic Anemia!

$15,855 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 110 people in 5 months
Created January 4, 2019
Fundraising Team
on behalf of Joshua Saxon

Around Christmastime this year, our buddy-boy, Cove, was diagnosed with severe aplastic anemia, a rare condition in which the body stops producing enough new blood cells.

Since 11/22/18 he has endured 2 bone marrow biopsies, 3 ER visits, an IVIG treatment, 18 blood product transfusions, and had surgery for a mediport placement. The Saxons have spent a total of 12 days hospitalized at the pediatric unit at Providence (including Thanksgiving and Christmas) with many of those days in seclusion.


Because Cove’s body is not producing platelets or red and white blood cells, his condition causes him to be extremely fatigued, have easy bruising, bleeding gums, frequent and prolonged infections, and shortness of breath with exertion. He has been such a warrior, a resilient little man as doctors searched for answers, but his energy is low and his body is having a hard time currently fighting off croup.
Cove has the most rare blood type: AB-. Out of his 18 transfusions, only 2 have had to be a different blood type, because members in the community with AB- blood have consistently been donating platelets and blood. Thank you SO much to whoever you are! You have helped keep Cove’s levels above critical over the past six weeks and we are moved by the support and life saving donations!

The only cure for aplastic anemia is a bone marrow transplant. On 1/2/19 his big sister, River, joined the fight and was identified as a bone marrow match! With only a 25% chance, it is a most welcomed miracle!
(The overall five year survival rate is 80% for patients who have a transplant. 3,000 people die a year not being able to find a bone marrow match. To get on the registry go to www.bethematch.org.
To donate blood products find the nearest blood bank.)
35913614_1546630003621120_r.jpegNow we are asking you to help this amazingly strong and incredible family as they face the next steps in this battle. Cove and his family will need to spend a minimum of 3-4 months in Seattle for the transplant. Cove will first undergo a series of chemo treatments to prepare him for big sister’s life saving bone marrow. After the transplant, they will keep watch over him for at least 100 days there. While Josh and Brittany are beyond grateful and feel incredibly blessed to finally have some answers, a plan, and of course a match, the extreme nature of the situation and the long path to Cove’s health has and will inevitably put this young family in a difficult financial position. 

Please consider contributing to this beautiful boy, the Saxon family, and their long battle against this nasty condition.

Thank you so much, anything helps and is SO greatly appreciated!35913614_1546629971132124_r.jpeg
+ Read More
Hello Everyone,

We have a big update regarding Cove. First, we would like to say thank you to everyone who has emotionally and financially supported our family the past six months. We will never be able to repay the help we have received, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We hope to someday pay it forward.

Cove had his eighth surgery this week to remove his Hickman line! Currently he has no signs of graft versus host disease (GVHD). He will continue to be monitored weekly through labs and clinics. He has continued to need red blood cell transfusions every 2-3 weeks since transplant. Cove’s most current bone marrow biopsy showed 100% engraftment and 50-60% cellularity, so things are looking good.

Overall, Cove is doing well enough that he can return to Alaska in two days, on June 3rd! This is a huge milestone for him, but he still has a long road ahead; recovery from a stem cell transplant can take months to years. Cove requires 21 doses of medications daily and remains on his immune suppressant medication. Because of his increased risk of infection, he needs to remain in isolation, especially from children and people that are ill. This is critical to his continuing health, infection can lead to the onset of GVHD and other complications. Cove cannot return to daycare until a year post transplant, must continue to follow his immune suppressed diet, and minimize activities that increase his risk of infection. We thank you for your understanding during the next year as we follow these precautions.

Cove is currently 93 days post-transplant! Thank you for following us along on this journey as his body recovers from aplastic anemia. His little body has been through so much the past six months, but he is tough! Over the past six months he has had 56 blood product transfusions and spent 93 days inpatient. Some interesting facts: Cove’s blood type is still transitioning from AB- to A+, his immune suppressant medication causes excess hair growth and he is now covered in long blonde hair over his entire body (he looks like a little werewolf), and all of his eyelashes fell out from chemo but they grew back black and super long- they are the envy of all the nurses!

Again, thank you truly for your love and support while we have been out of state the past few months. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to donate at blood banks and for bone marrow donors; you save lives!


The Saxons
(Josh, Britt, River, Cove)

+ Read More
Hi all! A lot has happened since our family's arrival to Seattle. The Seattle Children's Hospital (SCH) and staff have surpassed our expectations. The bone marrow transplant team discovered Cove had a ruptured appendix and an abscess near his colon. On 2/2/19 he had surgery and both were removed. His latest scan shows there is another abscess that is slowly decreasing in size; it is being monitored and maintained through antibiotics. The past few weeks have been hard on Cove's body (a ruptured appendix + bone marrow failure is not easy) but he's a trooper!

Conditioning/chemo started on 2/23/19 and transplant day is only three days away on 2/28/19! River has been cleared and is ready to be his donor on harvest/transplant day! She will have her bone marrow harvested from her pelvis (lower back on both sides). They will create two incision sites and will extract bone marrow 20-40 times. Kids are resilient so she should be up and walking that night but sore for a few days. River and I will be leaving Seattle this Saturday and returning back to AK. Brittany will stay with Cove.

Tomorrow will be four weeks admitted at SCH. Cove has had four surgeries since his arrival. His blood product transfusion count is now at 40. He has taken to chemo well so far, but the next few weeks the side effects will start to set in. Cove will continue to stay inpatient for several weeks after transplant. Engraftment should happen 2-3 weeks after transplant day. This is when he should start to perk up, we are so ready for this day!

Thank you everyone for the continued love and support. We are so appreciative of you all!
+ Read More
Hi everyone,

First of all, Brittany and I are so grateful for your thoughts and prayers, love, and generosity. The support we have received has enabled Brit to take on the role of full time caretaker and has allowed her to stay by his side while he struggled to fight off RSV and the Adenovirus.

Cove is now clear of all viruses and cleared to head to Seattle! We now have a tentative schedule to proceed with. Brit and Cove are being Medivac’d down to Seattle Children's Hospital today (Jan 29). Cove will be admitted and begin preparation and conditioning, to include chemotherapy, for a bone marrow transplant scheduled February 21st.

River and I will be following them on a commercial flight later this evening. Over the next few days, River will go through a pre-donor screen and physical in preparation for her bone marrow donation to Cove.

Once again, we have been immensely blessed by the love, support, and generosity from everyone. Words cannot express how grateful we are and the burden that you all have lifted from us! ❤️
+ Read More
Hello everyone, here is the latest on our little Cove:
He is currently battling RSV and Adenovirus at Providence Children’s, His ANC count is 0 and his WBC is .2
This means it is incredibly difficult for him to fight off these viral infections.

The only way to get those up is the transplant.

Buddy boy has now received 21+ blood and platlet transfusions in his tiny little body.

Time will tell as to when his bone marrow transplant can place. They are awaiting word on a room for him in Seattle to potentially keep him in a controlled environment with hopes help him fight these off and get ready for the transplant. Details to come early this week on that.

For now the Saxons are pulling on all their resources to keep their ball rolling while they tag team in and out of Providence Children’s. Josh is still full time, and Brittany has had to set work aside for now to be with Cove around the clock as he fights this condition.

We are all so grateful for your prayers, love, well wishes, and generosity in this time. The support has been breathtaking for Josh and Brittany, and they, and our whole family can’t thank you all enough.
Please continue to keep Cove in your thoughts ❤️
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$15,855 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 110 people in 5 months
Created January 4, 2019
Fundraising Team
on behalf of Joshua Saxon
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
Mary Elieff
24 days ago
Lynda Travis
3 months ago
Julie Thomas
3 months ago
Mickenzie Alt
3 months ago
Morgan Wick
4 months ago
Kevin Zagyva
4 months ago
Catherine Zagyva
4 months ago
Matt and Marina Courson
4 months ago
Tara Gondek
4 months ago
Sherry Whitstine
4 months ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.