Brain Surgery #3- Oct 12! Help Us!
My name is Kawan Akil Glover. I am a 23-year-old graduate from the University of Maryland College Park. I studied business finance and now I am a budding financial advisor and business consultant, working to help any and everyone achieve financial freedom through consultation and hands-on advice. Unfortunately, my career is being put on hold because of a recurring issue. In August of 2014, I developed something called a cavernous malformation on my Brain stem which caused me to lose control of my right side motor functions, develop slurred speech, and difficulty swallowing. The mass was discovered and subsequently removed for the most part. I returned to the university about two weeks after recovery, and as any 20 year old would do, I returned to my normal life but my body hadn't been given proper time to heal. I was president of the campus chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, taking a full load, and pursuing opportunities outside the classroom. Due to my incessant work ethic, I was not able to slow down and I suffered a stroke on September 18, 2014. I was rushed to the ER and spent a month at MedStar National Rehabilitation center in inpatient physical, occupational, and speech therapy. I was released on October 17, 2014, and spent the remainder of the year in outpatient therapy. I turned 21 on December 25, 2014. Following the stint in rehab, I returned to the University and completed a successful spring 2015 semester. Throughout the year I would continue to check in with my neurosurgeon and have MRI's to monitor the status of the malformation. Unfortunately, about September, it was discovered that the mass had regrown and was much more aggressive this time so we slatted a second surgery for October 1st, 2015. The surgery was successful in getting a lot of the mass material out of that small area of "high-priced real estate", and the doctors were happy. The scan did still show something there but not enough to raise alarm. Post surgery recovery was rough and took the rest of 2015 to do so. Constant checkups and MRI's were used to monitor the status. The whole year of 2016 and the first half of 2017 went swimmingly. I returned to physical activity, became independent, and best of all I graduated from Robert H. School of Business and started my career two days later. All seemed to be going according to plan until it wasn't. Starting on September 9, 2017, I began having constant headaches accompanied with waves of full body weakness and dizziness. By Thursday, September 14, 2017, I had decided to see my primary care doctor but she was out sick so I went to the ER. The CT and MRI scan showed that I had suffered another hemorrhage in the same area. The neurosurgery team thought it would be best stave off surgery, for now, so I was monitored for two days and sent home. The next day the Headaches got worse, and some new symptoms set in. The left side of my face is numb and nonresponsive, I cannot taste on the left side of my mouth, and the deficits on my right side are returning as I type. I woke up the next morning with double vision and nausea so It was back to the ER. It was discovered that yet another hemorrhage had taken place in the same area. The doctors had done two approaches already and the risks we high for a third entry so we were referred to a skull based specialist at Rutgers University hospital. All of my previous work had been done at George Washington University Hospital. The doctor is highly qualified and is very confident that he can fix the problem in my brain. The only issue is that his practice does not take my insurance, and thus we would have to pay out of pocket for this procedure. The date is set for October 12, 2017, so time is of the essence. The deficits are getting progressively worse and I need this procedure finally do away with something that has plagued my life for the last 3 years. Please donate what you can or even provide me with names of qualified neurosurgeons. My family and I need help, and if you are reading this I hope you can find it within you to do so.+ Read More
Update number two. No more prism, tax help, and possible 5k!
Only 3 months later! THANK YOU ALL!!!
Hey everyone, we have decided to head to New Jersey for the surgery that will take place this Thursday. Thank you so much for all of your continual love and support!