Freedom's Run Community Grant Fund
West Virginia is often viewed as an unhealthy place to live. Much of this opinion, unfortunately, comes from real data. We are the #2 most obese state and #50 when it comes to trails. With an idea to change our state’s image and reverse these statistics, Freedom's Run was born.
Our goal through the use of this GoFundMe site, is to fund even more projects and to continue to support our local communities, for a thriving and healthier state.
C&O Canal Classrooms Education Program
Freedom’s Run was developed with the intent of putting on an event that gives citizens awareness of healthy living, promotes outdoor activity, and highlights the rich history of the area - an Event for Health and Heritage. A collaborative group between leads at the Eastern Area Health Education Center, WVU Health Sciences Center - Eastern Division, University Healthcare, the National Park Service, Shepherd University, local citizens and businesses, and Canal Towns Partnership, teamed to create Freedom's Run. Offering 5 events for all ages and atheletic abilities - 1 mile kids fun run, 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, and Marathon.
Since 2009, Freedom’s Run, through the guidance of Eastern Area Health Education Center, has given over $175,000 directly back to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia as well as neighboring communities. We have assisted with matching grants to bring the total well above $250,000. But with your help we can fund even more projects.
Page Jackson Elementary School Trail
Some of the projects that have been funded through Freedom's Run Community Grant Funds include:
- Eastern Panhandle Indigo Children's Blue Ribbon Recreation Program
- For love of Children's Leaders in Action Program
- Antietam Battlefield's Civil War Day Camp
- James Hite Park Fitness Trail
- North Martinsburg Middle School Trail
- SNAP Double Value Coupon Farm Market Program (in progress)
- T.A. Lowery Elementary School Green House Project
- Potomack Intermediate School Trail
- Tuscarora Elementary School Trail
- Ranson Elementary School Trail
- Driswood Elemntary School Trail
- Canal Towns Partnership
- South Jefferson Elementary School Outdoor Classroom & Trail
- Page Jackson Elementary School Trail
- C&O Canal Classrooms Education Program
- C.W. Shipley Elementary School Fitness Trail
- Shepherdstown Cullison Fitness Park
Summer Camp Projects at For Love of Children
Eastern Panhandle Indigo Children's
Blue Ribbon Recreation Program
North Martinsburg Middle School Trail, creative use of green paint
Some other donations that we have made through Freedom's Run Community Funds include:
- Shepherdstown Fire & EMS
- Washington's Way Heritage Alliance
- Jefferson County Deputy Sheriff's Association
- RRCA's Kids Run the Nation
- Mended Little Hearts of the Shenandoah Valley
- Shepherdstown Elementary School
- Girls on the Run of the Shenandoah Valley
- Jefferson Art Council's Art in the Park
- Hedgesville High School Boosters & Track
- Elkins Middle School Field Trip to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
- Antietam National Battlefield's Civil War Day Camp
With your support we can expand these projects to even more deserving communities, and reverse some of the effects of living in a statistically unhealthy environment.
For more information on Freedom's Run or to register please visit FreedomsRun.org.
To show our appreciation, we have varying incentives of Donation Levels
Super Supporter Reward: Donate $50 and receive a free t-shirt.
Dashing Donor Reward: Donate $200 and recieve a free or refunded race registration for the upcoming Harper's Ferry Half Marathon or Freedom's Run event
Generous Gifter Reward: Donate $500 and receive a free pair of shoes (valued up to $100) and a free or refunded race registration for the upcoming Harper's Ferry Half Marathon or Freedom's Run
Need help reaching a reward level? Help us, help you!
Follow these simple steps to have your friends and family help you reach a reward!
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know that you would like to help!
2. We will create and email you a personalized link.
3. Share your link with your friends and family.
4. Once your reward goal is reached, we will email you a code for free race registration or if you have already registered, we will refund your reigstration cost.