Brian Holm medical expenses

Dear Friends,
 
We have created a "Go Fund Me" page on behalf of Brian "Chicken" Holm.
 
On Saturday, April 14, 2018, Brian had a tragic accident while skiing alone at Squaw Valley off the Headwall chair in the chutes of Cornice 2. After dropping in, his skis crossed and he crashed at the very top of the chute, instantly dislocating his right shoulder. Unexpectedly Brian's skis ejected from his bindings giving him nothing to stop his momentum before entering the chute. Brian did all he could to stop his slide, but the steep slope and his momentum shot him over the face of the chute into a free fall of 15 feet or greater. 
 
The impact broke his back in two places: the lower lumbar #2 was broken, and #3 exploded into pieces, which sent bone shrapnel directly against his spinal cord.
 
Brian was patrolled off the mountain and transported by ambulance to Reno’s Renown Regional Hospital where he had emergency back surgery the following day.  The surgery went well with Dr. Morgan and recovery began immediately. It is a miracle and we are so thankful Brian was not paralyzed. However, he is suffering from severe nerve damage. Brian spent 8 days in the hospital before a transfer to Reno’s Renown Rehabilitation Center.
 
Although Brian is in great spirits, he has a long journey of recovery ahead. It is still too early to project, but we are expecting an 80% to full recovery.  Brian is insured, but we are guessing insurance will only cover 80% of all expenses, leaving Brian to come up with 20% out of pocket.  With a $158k hospital bill, $51k rehab bill, $17k in deductibles, and $10k out patient, medication and doctor visits, the grand total will be $236k.  20% of that is roughly $45k. The monies obtained from this account will go directly towards Brian’s medical bills, any remaining balance will be donated. 
 
We are reaching out to all of Brian's friends, coaching colleagues, and families that he has met, coached or guided in his 46 years. We as his friends and his support group know that this accident will not keep Brian down, he is already making great strides in PT and OT.  Brian was discharged on Saturday May 5th and will continue his therapies on an outpatient basis.  We are so proud to see how far he has come in just 3 short weeks but the journey will be long and arduous.  Please check out Brian’s FB page and join him in this journey of recovery.
 
Lastly, Brian would like to thank all his friends and family for the amazing support, without all of you he would not be where he is today.  Thank you all so much!

click here to go to Brian's Facebook page 

29690108_15256375000_r.jpeg

Donations

  • soul fortlewis durango 
    • $500 
    • 20 mos
  • Denise and Tim Elson 
    • $200 
    • 23 mos
  • Jake Hardey 
    • $20 
    • 24 mos
  • Sunhee Kim 
    • $300 
    • 25 mos
  • Dick and Cathy Nicoll 
    • $100 
    • 25 mos
See all

Organizer

Friends Of Brian 
Organizer
Reno, NV
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more