YOUTH TO NEWSOM: PROTECT OUR COMMUNITIES
Youth Vs Apocalypse is sending thousands of Bay Area youth to San Francisco to strike for climate justice on April 21st, 2023! This will be the 10th Youth Climate Strike that YVA has organized since 2019.
On the Friday before Earth Day, youth across the Bay Area will march in San Francisco to demand that Governor Newsom be held accountable for not protecting our communities. We will empower young people to become involved in activism that allows them to tell their stories and make change, and keep them involved in the movement after this action.
With your support, YVA will raise $30,000 to send youth students from 26+ schools around the Bay Area to San Francisco. These funds will be used for the following:
- Transportation costs to rent buses or buy BART tickets so that as many young people as possible can attend who might not otherwise have a ride
- Food for participants
- Action and art supplies for flyers, posters, and murals
- Supporting our staff and 2023 Fellows to run projects to recruit, plan, and absorb from this action into our clubs, campaigns, and teams
- Any excess will be used for our community events and youth trainings!
Your donations will make our efforts go even further and make this action more accessible for frontline youth. Without these funds, many hundreds of students would never have the opportunity to join a Climate Strike. Each dollar helps grow our massive youth climate base and makes it even stronger, more diverse, and more inclusive!
These funds will support these demands on Earth Day:
1. We demand that the state of California stop investing in fossil fuels through public pension funds and that Governor Newsom supports SB252.
2. We demand that Governor Newsom hold PG&E accountable to people and not profits.
3. We demand that the state of CA support Migrant Justice as a part of Climate Justice and speak out against Biden’s plan to jail immigrant families .
4. We demand that Newsom protect frontline communities from fossil fuel extraction by ending all new fossil fuel permits in the state of CA, drop existing production sites, and make sure there are at least 3200 feet between toxic oil drills and peoples homes and schools.
You can read more about our demands and our action at our website: www.youthvsapocalypse.org and sign up to join YVA.
===== ABOUT YVA =====
Ever since our first Youth Climate Strike in March 2019, Youth Vs Apocalypse has mobilized tens of thousands of frontline youth in the Bay Area to strike for climate justice. Our tremendous Climate Strikes have propelled community demands for environmental and climate justice:
- Shutting down the coal terminal in West Oakland
- Divesting the statewide public pension funds from the destructive fossil fuel industry
- Stopping big banks and investors from financing more oil & gas drilling and burning
- Cleaning up the historic radioactive and environmental contamination in Bayview and Hunters Point neighborhoods of San Francisco
- Ending the investment into companies like Lockheed Martin profit from war and militarism
Check out YVA's action for the Global Climate Strike on November 10th, 2022:
YVA’s work matters because low income communities of color have had to deal with fires, floods, and bad air quality in California. We know that the root cause of the multiple crises we face is the same system responsible for the social injustices frontline communities experience daily. We are coming together to show that the power of youth of color is alive and growing and that this movement is for us and by us. We are a continuation of our ancestor’s work and resistance to systemic oppression that will not end until no one is disposable!
We need your support to help make our work on the ground have even more impact. Any amount that you can contribute to our goal of $30,000 will bring more youth into the Strike and into the long-term fight for our planet and collective liberation.
PLEASE MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TODAY! Even if you can’t donate, you can support by volunteering for the Climate Strike or sharing this fundraiser!
The funds from this GoFundMe will go toward Alliance for Global Justice, the 501(c)3 nonprofit that fiscally sponsors Youth Vs Apocalypse.
DonationsSee top donations
Become the first supporter
Your donation matters
Youth Vs Apocalypse YvA
Alliance for Global Justice
Donations are typically 100% tax deductible in the US.