The Young Mineral Collectors group was founded in Fall 2018 to connect collectors under-40 worldwide to the greater mineral collecting community with the goal of raising awareness of, and fostering youth enthusiasm for the hobby. As of January 2020, our membership is approaching 900 members representing 54 countries.
As part of our ongoing efforts to increase youth engagement, YMC has undertaken a variety of initiatives to expand our community footprint and to demonstrate the accessibility and approachability of mineral collecting to wider audiences. (Please click - 'read more' for full details!)
What we are doing:
In 2020, we will continue to expand our efforts in a few key ways:
1. YMC will display a 'pod' of 10 cases at the TGMS in February featuring three collaborative group cases, each with different themes, and six collector spotlight cases focused on individual collectors within the YMC community (urgent need);
2. YMC will coordinate a group display case at the Denver mineral show in September;
3. YMC will launch a new website to expand its online presence beyond the Facebook group and Instagram.
What we'd love to do:
In addition, there are many potential (read: not guaranteed) 'stretch' efforts that we would love to investigate including, but not limited to:
1. Exploring the possibility of expanding our presence overseas, with potential display cases in the Munich or Ste Marie-aux-mines shows;
2. Investigating possible YMC-organized field collecting trips in the USA and/or internationally;
3. Community outreach and education including YMC member speakers at symposia, local mineral chapters, and more;
4. Possible expansion to various additional digital media formats such as YouTube and/or podcasts;
5. Exploring the possibility of creating a YMC periodical and/or YMC symposium.
6. Exploring possible sponsorship of YMC members to help reduce the cost barrier of attending major mineral collecting events and/or shows.
What we are asking of you:
With all of these endeavors comes an associated cost. Since we pride ourselves in having an open group for young collectors with NO membership fee, we've created this fundraiser to cover the basic costs of supporting confirmed projects during the course of this year (2020).
This fundraiser incorporates the cost of backdrops, labels and miscellaneous supplies necessary to execute our display cases at the TGMS and Denver mineral shows and covers our website operating costs for ONE year (see detailed cost breakdown below). This does NOT compensate for any time spent producing these, as it is completely volunteered time. Estimates also account for the GoFundMe fees of 2.9% + $0.30 per donation, and factors in some (slight) room to maneuver in case of emergency.
Please note -- if we reach our goal, that doesn't mean we don't still need help! Exceeding our goal and/or spending under projections will help expand our possibility horizon: excess funds raised will be used to potentially fund 'stretch' projects listed above or other special projects and outreach efforts for the group.
All donors will be featured on 'thanks' plaques featured on group cases at major shows to show appreciation for your generosity. Also, we may feature a donor recognition section on our upcoming website.
With your help, YMC can continue to be a beacon for the newest mineral collecting youth -- inspiring and educating them to ensure the tradition of collecting and appreciating mineral specimens continues to live on for generations to come!
From the very bottom of our hearts -- thank you!
-Young Mineral Collectors (everywhere)
Note: If you are interested in partnering to assist with any initiatives listed above, please direct inquiries to: [email redacted]
2020 Confirmed Project Cost Breakdown:
TGMS display case backdrops, labels, display supplies, specimen shipping, and misc associated costs: $1100
Denver show case backdrop, labels, display supplies, specimen shipping, and misc associated costs: $200
YMC website hosting, domain name, email and associated costs: $200
DonationsSee top donations
- Dave Waisman
- Christi Cramer
- Karin Höök
- Leighton Werschky
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more