We're beginning to get reports of members of our Wonkette community losing jobs, unable to make rent and bills.
You already, via reader donations, pay my salary every month, along with those of Shy, Evan, Dok, Robyn, SER and Liz and Jamie. I know you would like to be able to help your dear friends as well as we all go through this together.
To that end, we're gofunding a Slush Fund, with oversight by ME! I AM THE OVERSIGHT!
(Not Donald Trump, he is not the oversight.)
If you've got a few extra Trudeau Bux or Obamaphones and you'd like to donate them, I will make sure they get into the hands of folx who are needing them. (Not me. I do not need them.) Anything left over after the crisis will go to ... something good, I don't know, probably RAICES. We will have a vote and see!
Meanwhile, if you're in need of a little cash-money assistance, please to email me; you can find my email on the contact page at wonkette.com.
We love you.
March 25: Since this Gofundme has gotten a large response (almost $18,000 in like 20 hours), Gofundme has asked me to clarify a few things, like who am I, and what am I doing with this money again exactly?
My name is Rebecca Schoenkopf. I am the owner, publisher, and editrix of wonkette.com, a liberal, vulgar, hilarious news website for people who like those things.
We have usually about half a million readers a month, and I'm using this gofundme to harness their generosity and their wallets for our readers who are having a hard time. (It's a very tight-knit reader community!)
I am doing this through grants of hard cash, not really very many questions asked besides "how much would help" and "do you have a paypal?"
Since yesterday, we've distributed $2850 [UPDATE: as of the morning of March 27, the amount is $22,900 to 43 Wonkette readers and their families] in amounts between $200 and $1250.
We've given straight cash to:
* people who just lost their jobs and aren't sure when unemployment will kick in;
* a Wonk pal on disability who needs a particular exercise bar for his spinal injury;
* a woman and her son who are out of rent for the hotel room they live in;
* a woman who had every dime accounted for until the people helping her move asked for $200;
* a guy who only had his job for two weeks before it collapsed and was behind on several things including child support (he is going to make sure some goes to his ex-wife);
* a Wonker's sister who just lost her job and has three or four small kids at home, I forget but I could look at the email again;
* a guy who's stuck with his evangelical family who hates him;
* a pal whose Medicaid got canceled because she got a job (that's imploded);
* a woman whose college daughters were home and didn't have food to last till she gets paid on Tuesday (they bought some ice cream and made brownies and ice cream sundaes for a treat);
* a woman whose blownout tire (plus another tire) on the way to shelter with her brother's family took her last $300;
* a young woman with breast cancer living with her mom before her (own) mastectomy, quarantining and needing some food and bill money;
* a woman who's the caretaker for her wonderful 38-year-old son with Down syndrome, who needed some food, internet (he needs his playstation!) and gas money for interviews;
* a homeless mom with kids who is totally not a Wonker and UGH I felt like such a JERK telling her no;
* and however many more people make up 43 people.
Also: I AM KEEPING A SPREADSHEET! :D
Hope this helps, Gofundme! Now I have some reader emails to go through and send money!
- Beach Loafer
- Linda Malboeuf
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more