What Is Disc Golf?
Disc Golf is similar to traditional golf with the goal being to complete each hole in the fewest strokes. However, instead of a ball and clubs, players use a specialized golf disc which is similar to a Frisbee. Trees, shrubs, and terrain changes provide challenging obstacles for the golfer. Check out this short promotional video for an example of how the game is played.
Who Plays Disc Golf?
Disc Golf was officially established in 1970s and has since grown to become the fastest growing sport in park systems across the United States. It is designed to be enjoyed by people of all ages, gender and economic status but also attracts competitive league and tournament play as well.
Because Disc Golf is so easy to learn, no one is excluded. Players merely match their pace to their ability level and proceed from there.
Individuals or groups can play at any time and it is very inexpensive. Most discs costs less than $15. You can purchase various discs if desired (driver, midrange, putter) but it only takes one disc for basic play.
Where Is Disc Golf Played?
Most disc golf courses are in city, metro or state parks and are free to the public. There are over 200 courses throughout Ohio (and over 25 courses in Northeast Ohio), however, there are none in the city of Youngstown.
Why Wick Park?
Wick Park is the most used park in the City of Youngstown’s inventory and has received over $700,000K worth of capital improvements since 2008.
These factors plus its size, terrain and proximity to Youngstown State Univeristy make it an ideal location for a disc golf course.
What Is The Cost?
The City of Youngstown has put up $2,500 for this project and we seek to match that amount. This is where you come in.
Those who contribute $500 or more will be listed as a course sponsor on the information board & map. And those who contribute any amount will be invited to a course launch party at Wick Park Park Pavilion. The event will include a ribbon cutting ceremony, free disc golf course lessons plus food and entertainment.
All donations are tax-deductable.
Help us bring this fun and fast-growing sport to Youngstown!
Top Reasons For A Disc Gol f Course in Wick Park
1. Designed to be enjoyed by people of all ages, gender, and economic backgrounds year-round.
2. Relatively inexpensive & requires little regular maintenance after installation.
3. Promotes usage of the public park system.
4. Will not interfere with any other park amenities, features, infrastructure or activities.
5. Will increase usage of the entire park.
6. Would be the first disc golf course in the city of Youngstown.
7. Ideal club sport for nearby Youngstown State University and Ursuline High School students.
8. Can be used by community groups, businesses and organizations for fundraisers or social events.
9. Will create unique visitation as players from across the region, state and nation travel to different courses due to personal interest or for tournament play.