The Ukrainian Youth Association's property in Chertsey, QC for children's summer camp was devastated by a flood early morning on June 30th.
- Heavy rains caused a beaver dam to breach, sending tens of millions of gallons of water down the valley, into the lake and surrounding area.
- The water ripped trees out of the ground, moved rocks and debris into the lake and caused extensive damage to the roads.
- The children's playground has been completely eroded and swept into the lake.
The critical urgent repairs have already cost $5,000 and the remaining work is preliminarily estimated at $75,000.
Volunteers have worked all day the last few days, shoring up the creek to divert it from the children's park/ playground, clearing the debris that smashed into the back of the gazebo, repairing the water lines that were damaged, and filling in the road to allow access to the property.
After the past year of pandemic and not knowing until recently whether or not camps would be authorized by the government, the Ukrainian Youth Association (CYM) Montreal decided to have summer camp and thus the repairs are critically required for safety and security reasons.
- All of the wells will need to be drained and cleaned prior to the start of camp on July 18th.
- The lake needs to be cleared of the debris so that the campers can enjoy some swim time during the camp.
- Roads need to be properly repaired to ensure safe passage.
We sincerely hope that you are able to help us with the funding required to repair the damage done to our infrastructure so that our summer camp can be held in a safe and secure environment, this summer and for years to come.
A heartfelt thank you to all the donors.