MILE 7 - INDIA
In India, I walked with a true survivor. Zakira had boiling acid poured over her face while she was asleep at home with her two daughters. Her attacker was her own husband. Threatened by her success as a working mother, he tried to "deface" her to take away her power. The acid burned away 45% of her skin and almost killed her. After five months of hospitalization and two years of ongoing surgeries, she is a true model of strength. Zakira shares her story to help break the societal oppression of women in India.
- Zakira is an acid attack survivor. Acid is sold on the streets and can be used a brutally painful form of attack.
- There are approximately 4 acid attacks every day, globally. In India alone, there have been 1483 reported attacks in the past 5 years, and increasing each year.
- Acid attacks are often a form of gender-based violence to "devalue" a woman's place in society by taking away her outer appearance.
- Zakira and other survivors spend their life savings on medical bills. As a single mother trying to rebuild her life, Zakira struggles financially. Her dream is to open a beauty parlor.
- COVID-19 has made life increasingly difficult.
- Zakira lives in a "red-zone" in India where the virus is concentrated. Her health is her priority and being immunocompromised, she is severely at risk.
Please donate to help Zakira. Her expenses are below (annually, in USD):
$960 - Rent ($2.63 per day)
$1,596 - Groceries/Meals ($4.37 per day)
$560 - Utilities ($1.53 per day)
$800 - Children's clothes, toiletries, supplies ($2.19 per day)
$960 - Transportation, household supplies, misc. - ($2.64 per day)
$3,192 - School Fees for 2 daughters (paid annually)
Additional funds raised will be used for medical expenses, therapy for her two children, and to help Zakira to open a business. Her dream is to pursue a career in make-up. Funds will pay for a professional course and help her open her own beauty parlor.
100% of donations will directly support Zakira. Thank you to Kyyba Kidz Foundation for making this possible and facilitating the funds. Kyyba Kidz Foundation is a 501c3 nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of underprivileged individuals by raising the required resources through community participation.