Saving Rocky

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at around 10pm PST, my wife, myself, and our small dog Rocky were on our way back to our apartment when we were attacked by one of our neighbor’s pitbull. We had been moving all day, as we are transferring to another apartment and wanted to call it a night after a long day. Rocky loves car rides, so we all went out to grab some food and decided to bring it back to our old apartment to enjoy our balcony for the last time as a family, a place where we once felt safe and at home.

When we landed on our floor, we noticed a man who wasn’t wearing a mask and looked lost. We paid him no mind and continued walking towards our apartment door. No more than 30 seconds later, we hear him yell, “PICK UP YOUR DOG! PICK UP YOUR DOG!” When my wife and I turned around, it was already too late. The pitbull was lunging towards my family. I dropped the food and drinks that I had in my hand and picked Rocky up as fast as I could, but the pitbull locked his jaw on Rocky’s chest and would not let go. My wife began to punch the pitbull as I held Rocky as tight as I could. The pitbull was grabbing onto Rocky as if he were a rag doll. I punched him hard and we collapsed to the floor. I was able to kick him off, but then he turned around and started biting my head. My wife was screaming for help. All of our neighbors, except for the woman who actually owned the dog who was trying to kill us, came to our aid. One of our neighbors rushed my wife and Rocky to the nearest emergency animal hospital. I waited for the police and paramedics as I was gushing blood. 

As I was waiting with all of our incredible neighbors, the woman who owned the pitbull came and showed no emotion or remorse. Not once did she apologize to my wife or me. She even tampered with evidence at the scene. When the pitbull stopped attacking us, Rocky’s whole chest fell off of him and onto the floor. When she came out, she asked her friend to pick up Rocky’s flesh from the ground and dispose of it before the police could see it. 

Rocky is still fighting for his life. He is our son and our only concern. He has been at the hospital ever since. They won’t let us in to see him due to Covid, but they let us know that they are keeping him sedated. Not only does he have extensive injuries, but the surgeon found he has a significant heart murmur. He will have to spend another night at the hospital and see a cardiologist tomorrow. He will then have to go into surgery, where the surgeon will put him under anesthesia and attempt to close his wound.  I now have 10 staples in the back of my skull. Thedoctor said if the bite was any lower, I would have died. 

We are asking for donations to help save his life. We are also asking for your prayers for my family as this traumatic experience will be something that we will have to deal with for the rest of our lives. 


Roger McKenna
Los Angeles, CA

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.