Cam Skate are lobbying for a new skate plaza that meets the needs of Cambridge skateboarders, and we need your help!
The current Donkey Common Skatepark is not fit for use. The outdated design and poor construction present a number of safety issues, and make this one of the least popular skateparks in Cambridge.
Cam Skate's vision for the space:
- A complete redesign of the site
- Create a multi-use space - a public space that accommodates skateboarding, not just a skatepark
- Encourage street-style features, which brings a new type of park to the city
- Plants, trees, and more biodiversity incorporated into the design
Why a fundraiser?
Working with local authorities, Cam Skate have been able to secure repairs, and the provision of bins, at Jesus Green Skatepark, as well as improvements to the upcoming Meadows skatepark in Arbury.
With this track record of success we're looking to push for a much larger project at Donkey Common, which will require a larger investment. While the majority of funding should come from the council, there's a number of expenses we need to cover.
Most importantly, donating to this fundraiser is also a powerful way to show your support for this project that the council can not ignore!
What will the money be used for?
All funds donated will go towards delivering the project. This includes:
- Expenses for materials (e.g. posters)
- Direct costs of materials and construction
- Initial investments for fund-matching
This project has a strong chance of success.
- The location already features a skatepark - land use and noise not a concern.
- The design can benefit a wide variety of users, not just skateboarders
- We have support from local authorities
What will happen to the money if the project fails?
We will lobby the council until they say yes, even if they say no initially. However, it's not guaranteed that the project will succeed.
There are many issues facing Cambridge skateboarders. If we're not able to secure a new park at Donkey Common, the money we raise will be redirected to other causes that will benefit Cambridge skateboarders. These could include:
- Repairs/extensions to existing parks
- Addition of seating/other facilities at existing parks
- Material for indoor skate facilities
- Board sharing schemes
Show the council that this skatepark is needed, and help us deliver it! Please donate generously and share this campaign!