The Sun Valley Auto Club lost a member of its extended family and our community suffered a tragic loss on August 19, 2018, when Javier and Georgina Ubence were involved in a horrific automobile accident – something first responders described as one of the worst they’d ever seen.
A southbound driver – a self-described “Stoner with a Dream” with a history of drug use and driving with minimal insurance – passed a truck in a no-passing zone just as Javier and Georgina crested Timmerman Hill heading north. Javier was unable to get out of the way of the oncoming vehicle in time, and the vehicles were involved in a head-on collision. Georgina died at the scene, Javier was hospitalized with serious injuries requiring surgery, the children lost their mother, and Javier lost the love of his life and soul mate.
The costs of this tragedy cannot be understated. Georgina was a valued UPS and Barkin’ Basement employee with many friends who will miss her contagious smile and kind, generous spirit. Javier is a long-time, treasured employee at the Sun Valley Auto Club. Together, they are parents to five children who relied on their dual income for support.
Javier and his family are personally and financially devastated. Some of the costs Javier will now have to cover without Georgina's income include:
- Financial responsibility for their three minor children
- The memorial service and funeral (approximately $4,000)
- Javier's medical bills from the accident ($4,000 so far)
- The future cost of Javier’s physical therapy and rehabilitation (undetermined)
- Counseling for the family (undetermined)
- Rent, groceries, and clothing in the next year ($25,000)
- Replacement cost for the family vehicle (undetermined)
- Education and activities for the kids (undetermined)
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Tragically, nothing can bring Georgina back, but there are things you can do to help this beloved family.
• Donate money to the Ubence family on GoFundMe, or send a check to Javier at:
c/o Sun Valley Auto Club
PO Box 3414
Ketchum, ID 83340
• Attend the services for Georgina at The Life Church (931 N River Street in Hailey) on September 8 at 2:00pm, and reach out to the Ubence family to let them know how much you care.
• Share this link by email, on your Facebook Timeline, and on other social media, encouraging your friends and family to support the Ubences in their time of need.
Thank you for your support. We will continue to post updates on this page to let you know how the Ubence family is doing.
DonationsSee top donations
- Wiederrick Family
- Destiny Murphy
- Dan Drackett
- Devra McComish-Mary
- rob and heidi reeves
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more