To our wonderful community:
This is a difficult moment in time for us all.
On March 11, the D.C. government recommended the postponement of mass gatherings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Later that day, U Street Music Hall made the difficult but important decision to shut its doors to the public in support of this measure. By the end of the week, an emergency ruling was put into place that required many D.C. nightlife and hospitality establishments city-wide—including U Hall—to close until further notice. This was to be the first day of U Hall's weeklong 10-year anniversary celebration.
We absolutely understand why this decision was made. We have a great responsibility to our community to help slow the spread of COVID-19. But the closures no doubt have hit the music and nightlife community particularly hard and our team is now feeling this impact.
We owe the success of U Hall in large part to the incredible work of our bar staff, barbacks and cleaning staff, security personnel, box office and coat check employees, production staff, and the many wonderful people behind the scenes that make our shows go off without a hitch. They depend on the income made from our shows to support themselves and their families and they are feeling the effects of our temporary closure the most.
So if you are in a position to do so and are a fan of U Hall, we kindly ask for your financial support during this time of need. All donations from this fund will directly benefit U Hall's staff.
PLUS: As a special bonus, here is what we can offer you if you are able to offer your support:
• Under $10: Endless gratitude. Thank you so much for being amazing.
• $10 or more: Snail mail: We'll send you a handwritten thank-you card from our staff and a U Street Music Hall sticker
•$50 or more: You're on the list! Choose a show on our calendar that you'd like to attend and we will set you up on our guest list.** We'll also send you a handwritten thank-you card.
• $50 or more: Can't attend a show at U Hall anytime soon? Well, that makes us sad, so instead we'll send you a limited-edition 11x17 U Street Music Hall poster as a thank you plus a handwritten card.
• $100 or more: You're a work of art: We'll add your name to a mural inside the club as a show of deep gratitude--plus you'll get two guest-list spots to an upcoming show of your choice, a limited-edition U Street Music Hall poster, and a handwritten thank-you card from our staff.
And here's what we will do to stay in touch with you during this time:
• Party at your house: We just hosted a free livestream on our Facebook featuring a DJ set by U Hall co-founder and owner Will Eastman. We plan to host these events regularly with local DJs to bring some entertainment to your homes while our doors are closed. Check the U Hall website and Facebook for updates on the next performance!
Our next remote broadcast is Saturday, March 21 at 10PM ET featuring Ken Lazee (U Street Music Hall | DC). Tune in on U Street Music Hall's Facebook page .
We know we aren't the only ones impacted by this pandemic, and our hearts and support are with everybody who is working on the front lines of this crisis to keep us all healthy and safe. So please know that no matter the dollar amount you are able to contribute, our team is so very grateful to you. We love you, we appreciate the support you've shown us over 10 years, and we look forward to opening our doors very soon. Thank you so much!
** Guest list incentive subject to availability, age policies, and capacity. Offer is available one year from the day U Street Music Hall reopens to the public.
- Hoang Nguyen
- Rachel Sloan
- John Mickey
- Elise Thomas