Growing up trans in Louisiana, I never had access to community or a sense of belonging. When I came out in my early 20's in Arkansas, I realized that little has changed. As a creative writer & nonbinary southerner, I have a dream to bring together a collective of TGNC folks in the region to carve out space for ourselves, our art, & our livelihood. Far too often, the media centers violence against trans folks, but never supports us or speaks of our victories, our stories, our wholeness. TWANG's goal is to celebrate TGNC creatives & pay our community for their work while they are still here.
In a world where trans folks rarely are represented & celebrated in the ways they deserve, TWANG’s mission is to:
CREATE a platform for transgender, nonbinary & gender nonconforming writers/artists from the South & Midwest US to showcase their art with one another & the broader community
DOCUMENT our stories to increase our visibility to one another & combat the erasure we experience
CONNECT transgender, nonbinary & gender nonconforming folks across state lines to build a community of artists, partners in projects, & friends
SHARE our stories, resources & experiences with one another through art & art-related events in order to uplift, teach & empower our community
Your Financial Contribution WILL:
1) Pay TGNC folks a hearty stipend for their contributions & creative work
2) Pay a team of TGNC Southern & Midwesterners to collaborate & select contributors
3) Publish a print anthology of TWANG
4) Fund partnership with communities throughout the South & Midwest US to continue Disorderly Conduct, a free TLGBQ creative workshop series, centering trans writers in approach & literary content
5) Fund an unlimited number of free anthology copies for TLGBQ organizations & individuals in the TGNC community including shipping fees
6) Assist in offsetting operational costs such as web fees, advertising & labor
Thank you for taking the time to support the livelihood of TGNC artists & writers throughout the South & Midwest. Every step we take together is one step closer to bridging community, one step forward from surviving toward thriving, and one step closer to our shared dream of trans liberation.
If you would like more information on TWANG, check out our webpage at twanganthology.org, or follow us on FB & IG at Twang Anthology.