The Doctors Diagnosis:
The doctor began to tell me (Trisan's Mom)
what would happen over the next 10
Tristan’s muscles would continue to
break down and he would be in a wheelchair
by 9 or 10 years of age.
He eventually wouldn’t be able to bathe, feed or dress
himself, and his heart and lungs would weaken.
He would be on a respirator by his late teens, and our son would likely be gone in his twenties.
My head was spinning and I couldn’t catch my breath.
I asked him to slow down, please.
I screamed and grabbed tightly onto the door jam.
My partner ran into the room and caught me before I fell.Tristan's Story
At age 4, Tristan began displaying the first signs of the illness, with increasing weakness in his legs and an altered gate.
At age 5, Tristan was diagnosed with
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a Degenerative and Terminal illness that affects one in every 3500 male births. There is no remission factor and there is no cure. It can be hereditary, but in Tristan’s case, it was a simple genetic mutation with no real cause.
At age 10, Tristan could no longer walk on his own and went into a wheelchair.
At 16, he lost all function of his arms and legs, and could no longer feed himself or care for his own needs.
Tristan now requires 24 hour care. He has a team of 5 care-workers, plus mom, dad and step dad to help with his immense needs. He lives in his own converted suite added on to the main house.
Given all that Tristan deals with every day, he has accomplished some amazing things:
* At age 10, he received the Jack Cornwell Award from Scouts Canada, which is awarded to members who display immense courage and fortitude despite severe physical limitations.
* He was class Valedictorian, for his graduating class of 2014
* He is the youngest person to ever create a donar-driven fund, the Tristan Graham Foundation, through the Victoria Foundation, so he could raise money for worthy causes. To date, he has raised $35,000 for the BCSPCA, given that animals are near and dear to his heart. Many people ask why he doesn’t raise money for DMD research, but he has always said that he does not want any focus put on his disease. He prefers to put it towards something ‘empowering’ to him, which is helping animals. www.canadahelps.org/en/dn/m/24530/donation
* His love of music lead him to volunteer at UVic Radio Station, CFUV, for 3 years, where he produced, edited and recorded interviews and documentaries.
* He graduated from Camosun College in 2016 with his Digital Communications Diploma.
* He volunteers with Muscular Dystrophy Canada in their annual walkathon.
* He currently provides contract work to various companies to support them in their social media presence, and to help clients grow their online presence.
SHC Autographx would like to make Trisan's dreams come true.
Every year SHC attends the biggest car show called Sema in Las Vegas and since Tristan has been doing our Social Media we would like to have him attend this Car Show with us and experience and see everything in person.
It's been Tristan's Dream to be able to attend this show but it's impossible to travel unless we raise enough money for him to go. In order to do this we would need to raise enough money for him and because of his condition traveling has to be done very carefully to ensure his safety.
He is not able to fly in a regular plane because he has to be able to stay seated in his wheelchair the entire trip because of his condition, therefore we would have to rent a private Plane to have him fly down safely with his Parents and Caregivers.
We would need to provide him with special accommodations to suit his needs in order for him to stay and travel comfortably and get around to and from the convention.
SHC Autographx is donating 2 dollars for every invoice from March 1, 2019 to October 31, 2019 to help raise money.
Lets get him to SEMA and experience a moment that he will remember forever.
"Tristen is the Bravest, most Amazing Guy we have ever met in our 29 years in business. He inspires all of us to stay positive no matter how hard the times can get. We want to acknowledge all that he does for his community and for us". (Comment from Joe Semren the owner of SHC Autographx)
To make this happen we would need to raise 37,000.00 to make this Courageous Guy see one thing he has always dreamed of since he was a little boy.
Tristan is always making sure everyone is happy and smiling and we would like to make him Smile and look forward to having the best trip of his life.
We hope we can raise this money to be able to make this happen for him.
Thank you Tristan for all that you do