Treatments for Leroy's Graves Disease
Approximately a year & ½ ago Leroy was diagnosed with advanced Graves Disease. It was actually more advanced than we realized at that time. He was started on meds that worked off and on for a while, but then he would start to lose weight again. Lately his weight loss escalated and he's went down several sizes. We went back to see the specialist about 4 weeks ago for his labs and to see the specialist after the labs. He then told us that Leroy is dying from malnutrition due to Graves. He went on to say that without drastic changes he will die from that and / or his heart will weaken from the malnutrition and he will be in ICU fighting for his life. I need to add here that he does eat quite a lot. But the Graves prevents him from gaining weight. He was put on 6 pills a day for his thyroid until he finished up that prescription and now 3 a day of a higher dosage. He’s already gained 10 lbs. at last weigh in and I would guess at least another 5-10 LBS since then. We go back and check his levels this week. If they are where they need to be he will start the radioactive iodine treatment. The doctor does not think they well be where they need to be right then as his is so advanced it will take some “tinkering” to get them just right for treatments. That basically means the doctor will adjust his meds and wait a couple of days and check again until his levels are in the right place to begin that treatment. He’s not a good candidate for the surgery so he will have 3 days of the treatments and hopefully that should do it. He will be on meds the rest of his life and that's fine. The doctor does believe these treatments will save his life. We have been paying as they do not accept the health insurance we had. However we now need help and urgently. When his levels are where they need to be for treatments we have to be ready to pay - that alone is $2300.00. Each time we walk in the door it's $400 plus for labs and to see the doctor. We have always worked and paid our own way so this is very hard for us to do. We've sold off many things to pay medical bills but simply ran out of things to sale and time to sale them. We have to be ready to go when they say "GO". The additional $700 is to pay the additional labs he will have. We have exhausted all other avenues for possible help. It's urgent that we have the money in time. I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read all this, donate and / or share and prayers are greatly needed for him.
DonationsSee top donations
Become the first supporter
Your donation matters
Organizer and beneficiary