We donated an easement to close the last remaining gap on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail between Akron-Cleveland and Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and started the Towpath Trail Peace Park & Snack Shack in 2017.
In 2019, we learned of a shortage of primitive campsites along our beautiful Tuscarawas County Ohio-Erie canal towpath trail and decided after much consideration and research to do something about it. Our section of the trail is expected to be developed in the spring-summer of 2021, so I've made my land available for primitive camping immediately.
Located on the historic Ohio & Erie Canalway between the village of Bolivar Ballparks and the McDonnell trailheads on the towpath trail. Primitive tent camping is now available on the Greenville Peace Treaty Line, Buckeye Trail, Ohio-Erie Canal Towpath Trail, Scenic Byway, & the Great American Rail-Trail!
A couple of immediate needed improvements include:
1. Port-A-Potty (Handicapped accessible achieved)
2. Potable water ($35 test / Health Dept License $75: $115 annually to sell)
Waterline installs from our pump house are approx $1,500. one-time.
Improvement goals after our trail easement are developed include:
1. A bronze Ohio historical marker at the exact spot where the Greenville Peace Treaty line intersects with the towpath trail will be approx. $3,000. Ohio's only revolutionary war fort Laurens is only about 1.5 miles east of us and is referred to within the treaty.
2. A few fruits and or nut trees native to Ohio to be included in landscaping to establish a small public orchard on the trail.
3. Bat, Butterfly & Bee floral landscaping. Unknown value at present and I'd propose having a non-profit contracted to plant native species.
4. Stone & wood bench similar to what's near the Stark Parks trail section at the Canal Bend trailhead.
5. A lean-to, tipi, &/or an indigenous Delaware wigwam for an educational rental on the Greenville Treaty Line.
6. Fishing poles and gear for Tuscarawas river fishing rental.
7. A single picnic table shelter with recycling receptacles and a park-type grill.
8. Multi-directional sign ie; Fort Laurens 1.5 mi, Bolivar .1 mi, Zoar 4 mi, Canal Lands 1.7 mi, Navarre 6 mi, Canal Bend Trailhead 1.5 mi, McDonnell Trailhead .25 mi, Camp Tuscazoar 6 mi, Akron 30 mi, Massillon 15 mi, Cleveland 81 mi, Eddies Bike Shop 15 mi, NTR Canoe Livery 1.5 mi, Century Cycles 50 mi, Cuyahoga Valley 45 mi, (mi to be verified)
9. Tent rentals
10. Zoning change for "conditional usage" so we can have the ability to hire and have signage will be approx. $500 application fee, $1000 legal.
11. Maintenance equipment which may also be used for our Adopt-A-Trail & Adopt-A-Highway monthly clean-up efforts. We're currently using our mower, weed-eater, but would like to provide liter sticks, gloves, eye protection, recycling receptacles, a bigger chainsaw, rakes, and other tools.
12. A flatbed trailer that could be used for hayrides or as a stage for folk music. If you know a local farmer that would be interested in donating one, we'd be grateful if you'd pass on our interest.
Of course, I'd be grateful for any financial assistance you can afford to offer because this project would not only position me for a modest retirement supplemental income but do it in such a manner that benefits the bikers, hikers, dog walkers, and everyone that uses the towpath trail!
For additional information on our Towpath Trail Primitive Campsites, please visit our HipCamp listing at https://www.hipcamp.com/ohio/towpath-trail-peace-park/towpath-trail-peace-park-campsites
In the event our fundraising is so successful that we should meet all the goals and dreams listed above, any excess will be donated to an appropriate Tuscarawas county, Ohio-based organization that is involved with the long-term Towpath Trail system management.
Thank you for your consideration!
Joe Rinehart, property resident, and caretaker ;)
#TowpathTrailPeacePark #TTSS #PrimitiveCamping #TowpathTrail #Fundraising #GoFundMe #Donate #Fundraiser #Ohio&ErieCanal