We freely donated an easement to close the last remaining gap on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail and started the Towpath Trail Snack Shack in 2017 to supplement retirement while having fun and doing good for the community in the process.
In 2019, we learned of a shortage of primitive campsites along our beautiful Tuscarawas County towpath trail and decided after much consideration and research to do something about it. Our section of the trail is expected to be developed in the spring of 2020, so I've made my land available for primitive camping immediately, despite a few current obstacles like potable drinking water and lack of public toilets.
Located on the historic Ohio & Erie Canalway between the village of Bolivar Ballparks and the McDonnell trailheads on the towpath trail. Primitive tent camping is now available on the Greenville Peace Treaty Line, Buckeye Trail, Ohio-Erie Canal Towpath Trail, Scenic Byway, & the Great American Rail-Trail!
A couple immediate needed improvements include:
1. Port-A-Potty ($125 regular or $175 ADA wheelchair potty: month to month no contract rate),
2. Potable water ($35 test / Health Dept License $75 : $115 annually)
Water line install from our pump house is approx $1,500. one-time.
Improvement goals after our trail easement is developed include:
1. A bronze Ohio historical marker at the exact spot where the Greenville Peace Treaty line intersects with the towpath trail will be approx. $3,000. Ohio's only revolutionary war fort Laurens is only about 1.5 miles east of us and is referred to within the treaty.
2. A few fruit and or nut trees native to Ohio to be included in landscaping to establish a small public orchard on the trail.
3. Butterfly & Bee floral landscaping. Unknown value at present and I'd propose having a non-profit contracted to plant native species.
4. Stone & wood bench similar to what's near the Stark Parks trail section at the Canal Bend trailhead.
5. A lean-to, tipi, &/or an indigenous Delaware wigwam for an educational rental on the Greenville Treaty Line.
6. Fishing poles and gear for Tuscarawas river fishing rental.
7. A single picnic table shelter with recycling receptacles and a park type grill.
8. Multi-directional sign ie; Fort Laurens 1.5 mi, Bolivar .1 mi, Zoar 4 mi, Canal Lands 1.7 mi, Navarre 6 mi, Canal Bend Trailhead 1.5 mi, McDonnell Trailhead .25 mi, Camp Tuscazoar 6 mi, Akron 30 mi, Massillon 15 mi, Cleveland 81 mi, Eddies Bike Shop 15 mi, NTR Canoe Livery 1.5 mi, Century Cycles 50 mi, Cuyahoga Valley 45 mi, (mi to be verified)
9. Tent rentals
10. Zoning change for "conditional usage" so we can have the ability to hire and have signage will be approx. $500 application fee, $1000 legal.
11. Maintenance equipment which may also be used for our Adopt-A-Trail & Adopt-A-Highway monthly clean-up efforts. We're currently using our mower, weed-eater, but would like to provide liter sticks, gloves, eye protection, recycling receptacles, bigger chainsaw, rakes, and other tools.
Of course, I'd be grateful for any financial assistance you can afford to offer because this project would not only position myself for a modest retirement supplemental income, but do it in such a manner that benefits the bikers, hikers, dog walkers and everyone that uses the towpath trail!
For additional information on our Towpath Trail Primitive Campsites, please visit our HipCamp listing at https://www.hipcamp.com/ohio/towpath-trail-peace-park/towpath-trail-peace-park-campsites
In the event our fundraising be so successful that we should meet all the goals and dreams listed above, any excess will be donated to an appropriate Tuscarawas county, Ohio based organization that is involved with the long-term Towpath Trail system management.
Thank you for your consideration!
Joe Rinehart, property resident and caretaker ;)
#TowpathTrailPeacePark #TTSS #PrimitiveCamping #TowpathTrail #Fundraising #GoFundMe #FacebookFundraiser #Donate #Fundraiser #Ohio&ErieCanal