So my mom was diagnosed with Huntington’s Disease during the summer of 2013. Ever since than, I’ve made it my mission to care for her and make sure she has a quality of life she deserves. That means I dropped out of the University of Michigan- Flint with only a year left and quit a well paying job, never thinking twice about the decision I’ve made. It’s a hard task taking care of someone with Huntington’s, but a task that I’ve dedicated the last 4 years of my life doing.
So flash forward a few years. Me and my mom have been happily living in Fraser, Michigan, a little city just outside the city of Detroit. Unfortunately, our lives were about to change and we weren’t prepared for what was coming. On Monday the 6th, at approximately 5:30am, I woke up choking on black smoke and sut, indicating that the fire’s been blazing for some time now. My initial reaction was to get up and get to my mom, who sleeps towards the front of the apartment. I quickly ran to my room door, opening it and proceeding to yell for my mom to wake up and go towards the front door. As I was yelling, things quickly turned for the worst. Huge flames made their way towards me, burning my chest, hands, arms, face, and part of my back instantaneously. I quickly turned around and realized I had no other choice but to jump out the bedroom window, coughing and slowly losing consciousness while making my way through the darkness of the sut. Once I jumped out, I ran towards the front of the apartment to get my mom. Thankfully she heard me and understood what I told her prior to jumping out the window, making it easier for me to access her and carry her out the fire. As soon as we retreated to a safe distance, I made sure my mom wasn’t injured, and thankfully she was fine. A few seconds later, I quickly began to feel overwhelmingly hot. I looked down, realizing I’ve been burnt soo bad that my skin was melting off right before my eyes. I can’t even begin to explain how excruciating the pain was, and I hope none of you ever have to endure something this horrific.
The paramedics quickly sprung into action, bringing me to the hospital best suited for treating burn patients. I was admitted to the hospitals burn unit and have been at this hospital ever since. Doctors and nurses confirmed that I’ve endured second degree burns, deciding that I’ve have to get hydro therapy. In my case, this means they daily cut all the dressings (wraps around my hands, arms, and left shoulder) off my body, scrape off all the burnt skin, fluids, etc. off the affected areas, clean it, apply ointments and gauze, and re-dress those burned areas. This is done on a daily basis and is extremely painful to go through.
I was informed that the whole apartment and everything inside was gone, simply turned into ash. I’ve lost all my possessions, including all the medical supplies I use to take care of my mom. Thanks to the great nurses at this hospital, I’m slowly starting to recover from this horrific event. I’m expected to be discharged soon, and I don’t have anything or anywhere to go back to. It’s been hard trying to cope with everything, and I know that me being a ‘hero’ for saving my mom is good karma and will definitely come back to me in a positive way. If any of you can help in any way, I would greatly appreciate it. If you can’t donate that’s okay, but sharing it would make me just as happy. I want to thank everyone for taking the time to read my story, and I hope that I’ll have enough help to start over again and get an apartment, supplies, and whatever else necessary for my recovery process. Thanks again guys, and god bless!
DonationsSee top donations
- Carolyn Michael
- Deepu Kumar
- Ariel Marrie
- Amanda Shanesy
- Solomon Bheri
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more