Our sweet boy was hit by a car last Wednesday, May 17th. His injuries were not fatal, but his leg was in very bad shape. All the skin was devolved from his paw and up his leg, he has two broken bones and there is infection from the debris. We took Toby to our vet, she was not equipped or confident in taking on his case, she offered a full leg amputation, but highly recommended we take him to a specialty office who would be better equipped to manage his wound. He is young, 2 1/2, so we did the right thing by him and took him to Oakland Veterinary Referral Services. They quickly took him in, got him stable and began to see how severe his injuries were, not only on his leg, but rule out any other internal injuries. By the grace of god,He was completely fine, except for his leg, and the traumatic emotional damage. The specialist believed his leg was salvageable, the bones could be repaired and the wound could heal and become viable, she said it would be a few days to manage any infection and see how the tissue responds and then they would close the wound and set the bones with plates. We were thrilled. We knew it would be expensive and we're prepared. Our initial estimate was $7,000. Although it is a lot, we were prepared to give him the best care and outcome possible. The next two days seemed to be positive, the daily wound cleaning and bandage changes were positive in nature, and then there was doubt on the 4th day. Sunday came with a change in tone, although we were optimistic, and surgery was to take place on Monday, there was still hope. Along with this delay, came a new estimate. We received a range from $10,000-$13,000. We were floored. We felt so many emotions, mostly anger and fear, but complete sadness. Our sweet boy has been suffering, we have been under the impression we are working towards saving his leg and bringing him home Tuesday after surgery that was to take place on Monday. We believed it would be the highest amount, and yes it is so unbelievable, and a lot of people wonder why, and we questioned if we made the right choice. Monday, the day for surgery. Except it wasn't. The phone call came with a change in plans to wait till Wednesday, May 24th, due to some infection being present. My heart sank, I knew with prolonged time in the hospital would come at a cost, and although I didn't want that to be my first thought, it was. We went to the office today, Tuesday, the 23rd. We wanted to see him before surgery, and the vet sounded less hopeful. She told us things we never heard this past week, Shen told us there is only a 50/50 chance that the skin would take, and if it does the after care of bandage changes and medicine would be an additional large expense. And then there is the chance to go through all this and him still needing an amputation. My husband and I felt lost. Violated. Taken advantage of. We were never told these things one time before. I've apeoken to the office at least 4 times a day, I've visited him every other day, and not one person told us the dark side of this. I'm a prideful person, I do not like to ask for help, but any help would be appreciated. We were prepared to spend the $10.000. We thought that was a huge overestimate, and we would be fine. However, we are starting to see, we will be short. We are looking into alternatives, but at this time, he's been through so much, we just want him home, 3 or 4 legs, just healthy and happy. He is miserable, and his separation anxiety forces him to be on medication to help make him comfortable. It's just impossible to try and feel what he is feeling, I couldn't imagine being in his situation, scared, alone, in pain and not understanding why your family isn't there, why your hurting, it breaks my heart. Our family appreciates any kindness and help.