“Yá'át'ééh….For my husband Notah Manuelito
Dear friends on December 26th my husband Notah, a type 2 diabetic, had informed me that his toe had turned black. We admitted him to the hospital that same day. When I thought he had been fighting the flu for 5 – 7 days his body was actually trying to fight off a foot infection. Anyone with diabetes knows complications can come on fast even under the best monitoring. Once in the hospital to diagnose our options the doctors informed us that at some point he had had a major heart attack that killed more than 50% of his heart. The hospital doctors feel Notah may have had a blood clot thrown to cause the quick deteriorated black toe and that the toe accepted the blood clot. They scheduled him for surgery the next day to amputate his toe. They informed us that once the surgery has been taken care of Notah would have to be transferred to a downtown hospital of vascular surgeon care. Notah’s arteries are not working completely so the blood supply is not proficient enough to heal his body properly. Once seen by the Vascular Surgeon he informed us that he needed to complete an angiogram to see where the blockage is. Depending on the blockage he may require a stint or drilling out the affected areas because he does not have enough blood flow to his limbs for healing. We are both devastated by the news with 30% chance to live 5 years because half of his heart is dead and they cannot do anything but medicate. Notah is a candidate for nothing! His heart is damaged beyond fixing.
We thank everyone in our church community and family and friends who have come to visit us in the hospital and at home. I am managing all medications and blood sugars and blood pressures 3 times a day. His foot was healing so well. I have stayed on top of the dressings but in the past few days his amputation site started itching and it was not good news. Bone infection! They needed to operate immediately. His toe amputation sight has grown an infection in the bone. Notah was back in the hospital and scheduled immediately for surgery where the doctors had to remove 4" of bone that has been sent off to be biopsied for infection type. It will take 4-5 days to receive the biopsy infection strain. Dr’s mentioned they need to keep the wound open until they find out which infection strain is being grown in the bone. Notah will remain inpatient Lovelace Downtown.
This has been such a hit to our family as Notah was really looking forward to going back to work on March 26th, as he enjoys working for the Bernalillo County Sherrifs as a school crossing guard. Not only are we dealing with getting his foot to heal we still have his heart to take care of. Notah has been fitted for a ZOLL LifeVest http://lifevest.zoll.com/ to help monitor his heart through his cardio rehabilitation. His blood pressures have been up and down and the wound care specialist is monitoring him. He wanted to go back to work so bad. We are waiting for cardio rehabilitation outpatient approval from our insurance. We are blessed to have good Medicare Advantage and Indian Health to cover some of the medical bills doesn’t it doesn’t take care of everything. We went from a 2 person income home to a half a person income home in less than 3 months as I am now his full time caregiver.
I am not the type of person who asks for help often but I find myself in a position where I am overwhelmed and need some financial and spiritual support. Health insurance has been helpful to this point, but it is NOT covering portions of Notah's care. I am having to draw on personal resources, which will soon run out. We need your help, financially and spiritually. Every donation, no matter the amount, will keep our heads and heart up and going day by day. I will update this page as information comes in.
Exodus 15:26 tells us , "I am the Lord, who heals you." Notah's compassionate and knowledgeable doctors we believe we're appointed to be HIS partners in the work to help restore Notah to healthier condition. HE deserves all the glory!
JUNE 12, 2018
UPDATE on NOTAH: at the podiatry appointment Monday the physician took a part of Notah foot/tor bone to send off to pathalogy. Structurally the doctor sees it healing well, growing new tissue, good blood flow throughout the foot...but he has this feeling, which needs to be ruled out, that there is osteomylitis growing in the bone. We should know within the week of the biopsy results. He physician is working with our insurance to get a home wound vac started for Notah, which will increase the healing process. On the outside everything looks great, we need to make sure the inside is doing the same. The worse situation we would come upon is IF there is bone infection, then it would mean two-three more toes to be amputated from the same foot.
My knees did everything, but buckle me to the floor when the doctor started discussing that step. Notah and I know that DIVINE healing has prepared and brought us to this curve in the journey and we know HE is the great physician and will see us through to the end. At the moment his is continuing daily wound change with homehealth nurses from Compassus (they are angels) and continue to encourage him with strides he makes daily. Notah is a tower of strength and all I can do is to be there for him with support; we also know that God has given this challenge at this point in our life to definitely humble us.
We appreciate your continued prayers and notes, and calls and Go Fundme gifts..we have been blessed by all of you. Please continue to pray for Notah's healing of his left foot.
- Jerry Gregson
- Gail Griffith
- Kara Archuleta
- Marilyn Archuleta
- Allison Ward
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more