Posted with permission from Chelsea and Todd Gudith:
I first met Chelsea in the fall of 2018. Our girls were in the same preschool class, and we became fast friends. As we got to know each other, it became apparent that Chelsea was suffering daily with a variety of unusual and serious health issues. Throughout the school year the severity of her illness progressed, and I watched her visit specialist after specialist in pursuit of ANY answer as to what was draining the life out of her. She was unsuccessful at every turn; struggling to find a doctor who would even truly listen and didn’t think that it was “in her head.”
A few weeks ago, Chelsea was seen at another specialty clinic where this time the doctor suggested that she have her house tested for mold. Todd and Chelsea immediately called a company to come out and inspect the house. Upon extensive testing in the home, it was discovered that there is noxious levels of toxic mold growing in the unfinished basement. The mold was being sucked up and blown through the house from the furnace and AC unit saturating the air and sickening the entire family.
While it has been an incredible relief to the Gudiths as well as their family and friends to finally have an answer as to what was causing all of the mysterious symptoms, it has been equally devastating for them come to terms with losing nearly everything they have worked so hard to build together. In addition to the professional remediation of the mold, they will have to discard and replace all carpets, most furniture and some appliances before they can even be allowed to return home. And then there is the loss of the irreplaceable, sentimental things that may have little financial value, but hold great emotional weight. This has been particularly difficult for their young daughter who is struggling with the enormity of such a sudden upheaval of her world.
Ultimately, it will take years for them to slowly rebuild; not only their house, but their health and life together. While Todd and Chelsea are both working hard to cover all of the costs related to this massive undertaking, it is a situation that few would be prepared for. Unlike a fire or weather-related disaster, there is rarely coverage for mold damage on homeowners insurance. Their insurance company has ENTIRELY denied their claim and will not be providing any assistance. They are now faced with an overwhelming financial burden, most of which has to be paid up-front before work can begin on the home. Any donation would be greatly appreciated to help this wonderful family begin to heal and try to get back to a “normal” life as soon as possible. Thank you so much taking the time to read this and for your consideration and generosity in helping the Gudith Family Go Home!!
To read the Gudith’s story in their own words and pictures please visit Facebook and look for “The Gudith Family Goes Home” or follow this link:https://www.facebook.com/The-Gudith-Family-Goes-Home-114334709969737/