I got a phone call from the police that Telma was just murdered and that they had my daugther in custody and that I had to head to my daugther immediately at Keiki Beach. I called my twin brother Brian first who was in Kaneohe at the time. Brian started driving towards the scene and blasted out an Instagram video post that immediately went viral saying that he would give whoever found these people and our stolen truck $100k reward. A manhunt across the islands went in full effect and Brian received over 30 pictures of the couple amongst the thousands of messages sent his way. The first person to send Brian the picture of the suspects was a life long friend who wanted absolutely nothing other than to help our family to find and capture these people. The suspects were identified by my daugther Makana and we immediately showed the police at the scene. The police could not believe that we found the suspects before they did and this was due to the love and support working together through social media. Just a few hours later the suspects were captured and apprehended in Millilani near the movie theatres.
That night I wanted to go on a f'n rampage and do things that would have jeopardized my freedom, but I knew that's not what Telma would have wanted. She would have wanted me to stay strong for our daugther Makana. This is why I had to turn to love and light and turn stronger than ever to my faith and forgave the people who did this to our family publically on December 8th at a memorial prayer service we held at Log Cabin's at the beach. I then publically forgave the suspects again that evening at the end of the Haleiwa Christmas Parade where we had a candle prayer vigil as well as at the Sunday church service. People have found inspiration and strength through my words and a friend of mine who was documenting the memorial that evening shared the speech on Facebook's North Shore Community Hub page becuase he found inspiration and pulled strength from what I said and knew many others would as well. This apparently struck a chord with many suffering and having a hard time with forgiveness in their own personal lives worldwide and proceeded to go viral striking a chord with many.
There has been so much negativity in the world people are being touched and moved that I was able to forgive after one of the hardest and darkest moments that anybody could experience the very next day. I had a choice to stay in the dark or live in the light. I did not want to take another second away from my daughter Makana and have any more negativity go her way. So the answer was 2000% be in the light surrounded by love and aloha. We all need to heal from this.
This money being raised here from all of your love and support is going 100% to Makana. With communication of Telma's Mother who is here in Hawaii from Brazil have both agreed that 80% of the donations will go into a trust fund for Makana that will be set aside for her future and education. Telma and her Mother both wanted Makana to have a quality education and to go to college. The other 20% of the donations will go into a savings account for family funds such as medical, therapy, and any other expenses that come from this tragedy. Family members advised me to increase the GoFundMe campaign from the initial $100k to $250k to help Makana throughout her life.
"Love your friends, love your neighbors, love your family.
Let's all work together to keep the Aloha spirt alive because life is about Aloha. ~ Kevin Emery
THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY WHO CAME TOGETHER TO HELP US IN THIS VERY DIFFICULT TIME. MAHALO FOR YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT.
Please continue to keep us in your prayers.
Aloha and God bless us all.
Emery & Boinville Ohana
DonationsSee top donations
- Nicolle Lubman
- Melinda Ahn
- Michael Hart
- penny dumich
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more