a star that suddenly increases greatly in brightness because of a catastrophic explosion that ejects most of its mass.
I am embarking on the journey of creating my Senior thesis film at UCLA. "Supernova" is something I am extremely passionate about, as it holds potential for making important shifts in society. My film will be a 10-12 minute exploration of themes such as mental illness, female friendship, grief, and moving past guilt. Combatting media portrayals that are popular today, my honest and conscientious outlook of these topics will be especially beneficial for teens forming their understanding of the world. However, I don't doubt that "Supernova" will have a heartwarming, positive effect on people of all ages, backgrounds, and world views.
LOGLINE: Post-suicide of Valentina's bipolar boyfriend, her best friend, Saidi, takes her on a road trip. In a coming of age short film, two friends allow themselves the space to understand the realities of mental illness, suicide, and the stigmas attached.
I already have a killer team behind this project who are just as invested as me. Now we need your help.
The money I am fundraising for this film will go towards making a beautiful final product possible. In order to get there I will need to:
- Host the cast and crew in Joshua Tree for 4 days (approx. 20 people)
- Feed the cast and crew for 4 days (approx. 20 people)
- Pay for permitting to film on location around Joshua Tree
- Pay for insurance for my production gear
- Hire a sound mixer for 4 days
- Hire a Production Assistant to rig camera to a moving car (1 day)
- Cover all production design and wardrobe costs
- Cover all parking costs for cast and crew coming to location
- Pay for insurance for actress driving car
- Pay for application fees to film festivals
- Rent any additional gear items not included in school package
- Hire a production designer
- Rent a car to appear on camera
- Rent a truck for gear
I need to raise this money by the beginning of November, 2018. I will either be shooting early-November.
This project, while only recently coming into a concrete concept in the past few months, will tackle themes I have been craving to explore through film for over 10 years. Having personally struggled through a close family member's suicide, besides my own experience, I have gained access to hundreds of conversations with others, learning stories from all sides of the tragedy. In recent years, mental illness and suicide have become trending topics, however, I have seen the media fall short of responsibility in telling the stories correctly time and time again. "Supernova" will be shot as a concept for a larger story, in hopes to later have the resources to turn it into a feature length film that reaches wider audiences.
Your support means much more than money to me. It means your belief in me as a director. It means your investment with the topics at hand. And it means you care.
- anything+ a thank you note and private link to my last film
- $30+ free ticket to Spring 2019 LA screening of "Supernova," or private viewing link if unavailable to make it
- $50+ digital copies of look books, color palettes, shot lists, and other materials/updates
- $100+ a "thank you" credit in the final film
- $400+ a "executive producer" credit in the final film.
- Linsey Warren
- Susan Lawrence
- Susie Rojack
- Sophie Cathcart
- Sylvie Boland
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more