The landlord's dehumidifier melted down/exploded in the basement causing a large fire that was luckily mostly contained in the basement. The resulting damage took most of their basement storage items, including some personal memories. The main level where they live suffered extreme soot and smoke damage. Fixing the place to be livable again will take 3-6 months.
Luckily, no one was injured and their cat Emma survived.
They are currently living with us while they figure out the next steps of rebuilding a normal lifestyle.
They both work extremely hard, long hours (avg 45-50 a week each) at 69 and 70 years of age. Managing this bump in the road won't be easy.
As smoke damage is difficult to remove, they will need to make some tough decisions about what can be salvaged/restored and what will need to be replaced. Funds will be used to possibly set up temporary housing and the moving costs associated, as well as replacement of large items (furniture, beds,etc.) and every day essentials.
In a world which is already difficult to live in, asking of others isn't easy. Thank you for reading this post and any help/support no matter how big or small will be sincerely appreciated not only by Mom & Dad, but by those who care about them.
- Matt Terry
- savoie building gross
- Dave & Diane Agren
- James Brandeberry
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more