UPDATE: The fundraiser has closed, and the funds have been disbursed.
With the swiftness of the outbreak of COVID-19 on the West Coast, the situation is changing very quickly. Cities are recommending curtailing all events. Office workers are working from home, major cultural institutions are shutting down.
Here are a few things that I believe:
* this is the largest public health crisis in generations.
* in San Francisco and Seattle we already should be self-isolating (this is the recommendation of the San Francisco Department of Emergency Management )
* it is important for the good of our community that we slow down the spread of the virus
* it is important to act immediately
* not all concerts/performances have been canceled yet
With this fundraiser I intend to support performing artists (i.e. musicians, dancers, actors) whose livelihoods have been disrupted by the outbreak, as well as positively encourage artists to take a role leading by example, encouraging people to stay home and self-isolate.
* I will run this fundraiser from March 10 to March 31
* At the end of that time, I will divide the funds amongst the artists in proportion to their losses
* I will set a maximum of $10,000 for calculating the proportionality, however if in enough funds are raised, artists will be reimbursed in full for their losses
* If, by any chance, more funds are raised than artists need, I will refund the difference to funders.
* I'll be transparent in my accounting, and show where the funds have gone.
To apply for relief, contact me via GoFundMe. You must:
* Be a performer whose shows on the US West Coast between 3/1/2020 and 6/1/2020 have been cancelled (by you, or by the promoter/venue/institution) due to COVID-19.
* Provide documentation of those cancelled shows, along with whatever documentation you can about expected income, as well as any cancellation fees etc. incurred due to cancelling the show
Disclaimer: None of these funds will go to me, however it may support musicians I work with as a producer.
Photo by v2osk on Unsplash
- MaryJane Bricka
- eleanor kneibler
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more