Supporting Elaine's Recovery

In late July of 2018, giving birth via c-section, Elaine, Alan and Lakan were finally able to welcome baby Lakas into the world. The newest addition to the family kept them plenty busy with newborn tasks, but the family of four couldn't have imagined what was to come next. 

After only being able to enjoy three days together, Elaine suddenly became unresponsive on the third day home and had to be rushed to the nearest hospital via ambulance. Originally developing and treating a hematoma (blood clot) in her c-section incision, Elaine unfortunately went into septic shock, a later stage of an infection called sepsis where where her vital organs (liver, kidney and heart) were damaged and in danger of shutting down. Alongside this, she also developed "c-diff", a dormant bacterial infection that can flourish when too many antibiotics are given and even good bacteria in the body are killed. To make it worse, Elaine suffered a mild stroke on the right side (Thalamus) of her brain.

Elaine was in ICU for nine days, sedated and supported by a breathing machine the majority of her time there. It was touch and go at first. In the days after, the amount of anti-biotics, sedation, and dependence on the breathing machine steadily reduced. When she thankfully came to, Elaine made slow and incremental recovery: from various facial communications, nodding and shaking of her head when asked yes/no questions, breathing on her own, eating/drinking soft items, and limited movement in her arms and legs. She didn't remember much of what happened, but Alan, her family, friends and community helped her eventually piece the story together.

She recovered exponentially in the following week with acute physical, speech and occupational therapy. Following her time in the ICU and hospital, Elaine was transferred to a stroke rehab center. There, Elaine had to work hard to re-learn how to walk, balance, and speak again. Elaine was hospitalized for a total of four weeks, including the birth of Lakas. She was recently discharged and is continuing her recovery and rehab through home visits of therapists. 

Through this ordeal, the entire family was affected because they were all separated during Elaine’s hospitalization. After weeks of support, prayer, and healing thoughts from loved ones, Elaine, Alan, Lakan and Lakas were finally reunited. After almost a month apart, they became a complete family once again. 

In the wake of all of this, there were two things that Elaine held on to for strength and motivation: to be back with her children and husband, and to get back to organizing. The thought of being home with her family and getting back to serving the people is what she worked towards. 

Elaine and her family have survived one of their greatest adversities, taking "baby steps, big steps, bigger steps and great leaps forward" as Alan put it to be together again. But this was only the first stage. They now face the financial burdens of the aftermath of a month-long hospitalization, and other expenses. 

We kindly ask those of you who are able, to help us support Elaine and her family by donating any amount you are able to.

As Alan put it, "They say that through struggle there is eventually a light at the end of the tunnel, but truthfully it feels like you all have been the light all around us during this trying time.” Let us continue to light the way towards Elaine's recovery!
  • Ryan Agabao
    • 50 $ 
    • 42 mos
  • Anthony Beierly
    • 100 $ 
    • 49 mos
  • Rowena Cruz
    • 25 $ 
    • 51 mos
  • Anonymous
    • 50 $ 
    • 51 mos
  • Hazel Manlunas
    • 20 $ 
    • 51 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Valerie Francisco
Daly City, CA
Elaine Villasper

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.