Supporting Cheryl and the Loshnowsky Family
Hi! I’m Melissa Marazas and, together with Melissa Firman, we would like to tell you about Cheryl McCloskey Loshnowsky – a beloved wife, mother, sister, aunt, Girl Scout leader, swim mom, accounting whiz, volunteer, and most importantly, a loyal and caring lifelong friend.
(Full disclosure: we’re not biologically related, but sometimes family is who you choose. And for our entire lives, Cheryl has been our family, along with her husband Erik of 19 years and their 17-year-old daughter Maura.)
In July 2021, Cheryl had plans to meet her sister, Melissa Firman, for dinner but needed to cancel due to a bad headache. The next day, a large tumor was discovered in Cheryl’s brain, and she underwent surgery. Despite a promising recovery, the tumor returned less than three weeks later. A second surgery was followed by a third recurrence that November. A third surgery. Throughout 2022, she fought like hell through Keytruda and Avastin infusions, radiation, treatments, therapies – suffering brain necrosis, loss of mobility and memory, disability, and being let go from her accounting job.
Those who know Cheryl would agree: her inherently tenacious personality, pragmatic nature, and strong character carried her through many difficult days. Her husband Erik, daughter Maura, Stewie (their fur-baby), and friends rallied around Cheryl to beat this cancer, even organizing a benefit to help.
Around Thanksgiving 2022, a 4th tumor was discovered; however, experts at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania offered some hope for regaining mobility. Ever the fighter, Cheryl again, endured what would be her 4th craniotomy in 18 months. Complications arose: despite a shunt inserted to reduce hydrocephalus, her brain swelling continued and she declined quickly.
We’re deeply saddened to share that, in the early hours of December 31, 2022, my Aunt Cheryl’s long fight against an aggressive brain cancer ended. Her body and mind have put up one hell of a fight; Cheryl will now get the rest and peace her body and mind deserve.
While most people are celebrating a new year, Cheryl’s family is facing exorbitant medical bills, educational expenses for Maura, the potential sale of their beautiful home, and significant loss of income. Sadly, they did not have life insurance.
Will you help support the Loshnowsky family? Your generous gift of any amount will be used to pay medical bills, funeral costs, and the living expenses for Cheryl’s husband Erik and their daughter Maura.
Let us tell you a little more about our beloved Cheryl. She was…
- a Northeast Philadelphia girl, born and raised in the Lawncrest neighborhood
- proud of her Irish heritage
- a graduate of Our Savior Christian School, Cedar Grove Christian Academy (1987) and Temple University (1994)
- a former member of Immanuel Lutheran Church, youth group coordinator, and Church Council leader
- an accountant, office manager, and business operations leader who brought professionalism, a strong work ethic, and great camaraderie to her teams
- a dedicated powerhouse of a volunteer for her daughter Maura’s many activities, including serving as a Girl Scout Troop Leader for more than a decade, organizing countless trips, cookie sales, and special events while also serving on the Service Unit Board.
- an active Swim Mom since 2013 with TOPS Swimming, serving in every role from bake table/volunteer coordinator to Treasurer. Cheryl was a USA official for TOPS swim meets, traveling throughout the region with the teams, and holding a board position. She volunteered at Hillside Aquatic Club as an official and volunteer coordinator, served as Vice President of the Board, and was the Club Representative on the Hillside Piranhas Swim Team Board.
- an enthusiastic foodie who enjoyed great meals with good friends; Prep’s Pizza in Ocean City, NJ; pastries from the Danish Bakery in Northeast Philadelphia.
- a passionate fan of the Philadelphia Flyers, Phillies, Wings, and Phantoms – and, for reasons unknown, the Dallas Cowboys
- a lover of travel, especially to her beloved Ocean City, NJ, in addition to Myrtle Beach, Disney World, New York City, and on various cruises.
- a fan of Billy Joel, Elton John, Barry Manilow, and her #1 favorite, Tim McGraw, whose music accompanied her even in the final hours of her life…
…and most importantly, a much loved person to many.
Thank you for helping us to honor the incredible life and legacy of Cheryl McCloskey Loshnowsky while supporting her family’s needs.
Melissa Marazas and Melissa Firman
DonationsSee top donations
Fundraising team (5)
Raised $200 from 4 donations
Raised $695 from 8 donations