Kelly’s Brain Surgery / Epilepsy

My how the past 2 months have flown by!  Here is a little overview of how far we have come.

In October, Kelly will be heading back to Mayo to decide on her second surgery options. The most viable options all include removing part of a large lesion in the Wernicke's area of the brain. The Wernicke's area of the brain, located behind the ear in the left hemisphere is also connected to the Broca’s area, located in front of the ear in the left hemisphere of the brain. This area is particularly difficult to do surgery in because it can lead to an inability to speak and understand what is happening around you. Once we have spoken to the Neurosurgeons, we will have a better understanding of the possible risks and positive outcomes for doing a surgery in this area.

Last month, Kelly was accepted onto the ICAN waiting list to receive a support dog! We are very grateful to have been added to the list and look forward to keeping everyone in the loop when we get our new family member.

As we continue our journey, we appreciate all those who have shared our story and donated to help the family. We continue to ask for support as we move into a second surgery. The current goal reflects what is needed for past visits, loss time at work, the surgery in July and this upcoming surgery. Any help and shares are warmly welcomed.
Kellene or Kelly to those who know her has had epilepsy since the age of 10. Over the past 48 years she has managed jobs, raising children and volunteering all while attempting to manage her seizures. Kelly has tried over 30 different seizure medications and none have helped her seizure activity. Her current medication is causing her adverse physical effects. Running out of options, she and her husband Steve turned to the Mayo Clinic. Over the past 6 months, Kelly has been seeing neurologist, neurosurgeons, and having testing done. Through multiple less invasive procedures, the doctors have not been able to pinpoint the cause of her seizures. On July 12th, Kelly will have an explorative brain surgery performed to help precisely locate the seizure activity. This is the last option afforded to the doctor to locate the area of issue and potentially reduce or stop Kelly’s seizures. They will be preforming the surgery in her temporal lobe known for sight, speech, and hearing. There have only been 12 other such surgeries performed at Mayo. After the initial probing surgery, Kelly will find out if she is a candidate for further surgery options where, surgeons would operate on the damage parts of the brain. If the results of this surgery are inconclusive or are found to be too dangerous to operate, Kelly is out of options. Although there are chances of complications, Kelly’s positive attitude and exceptional spirit will keep her strong.

The expenses of pre-surgery testing, missed work, and travel has already taken a toll on the family. I am starting this fund to help the family afford travel and lodging during their trips to the clinic. Money will also go to help pay medical bills and allow the family to afford a therapy dog. Covering these expensive would be a large weight off the family’s shoulders. All donations are appreciated.
  • Ashley Miller 
    • $25 
    • 61 mos
  • Alycyn Pratt 
    • $25 
    • 63 mos
  • Beth Braun Hendershot 
    • $20 
    • 63 mos
  • Sheryl Mann 
    • $50 
    • 63 mos
  • Jeff Jones 
    • $50 
    • 64 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Kellene Chapman 
Columbus, IN
Kellene Chapman 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more