Starting on April 8th, 2022, a diverse group of nonprofits, water protectors, and environmentalists will join in Santa Fe, NM, to set out on a walk spanning over 300 miles along the Rio Grande River to its headwaters in Creede, Colorado. The goal of this walk is to bring awareness to the need for legal protection for the Rio Grande River and its tributaries and to honor the health and wellness of the water through collective prayer and ceremony.
Along the way, we will clean up riversides, plant trees, hold awareness concerts and ceremonies while advocating for Rights of Nature for the Rio Grande in New Mexico and Colorado. The walk will begin in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on April 10th, and the destination one month later will be on May 10th, 2022, in Creede, Colorado.
The Rio Grande Water Walk will:
- Walk over 300 miles while advocating for Rights of Nature for the Rio Grande and its tributaries
- Educate people on Community Rights and Rights of Nature
- Ask municipalities to adopt a Bill of Rights to protect the Rio Grande and its tributaries and their surrounding ecosystems.
- Plant trees and clean up roads and rivers along the walk.
- Promote and distribute information on Indigenous Rights, Freedoms and Practices.
- Distribute literature about building community seed banks, regenerative farming, sustainable agriculture, and environmental challenges and sustainability.
- Invite people to educational events, ceremonies, and rallies along the way that collaborate and celebrate diversity and inclusivity.
- Weave a network of organizations focused on regenerative and sustainable living.
Your contribution will help with:
- Support vehicle fuel/insurance
- Food and water for the walkers
- Walker/event insurance
- First Nation Elder care
- Promotional and organizational costs (we will provide a clear budget and receipts to all donors)
If you are a corporation or organization who would like to make a tax-deductible donation please contact Environmental Action Reaching Throughout Humanity (E.A.R.T.H.) 501(c)3 at www.water-walk.com
If you would like to contribute food, drinks, gas vouchers, camping supplies or anything else non-monetary, please visit www.water-walk.com
for our contact information.
Organizations involved include:
Turtle Compassion, TILT, E.A.R.T.H, Water-Unite, Rainbow Lightning, Tribal Vision, The Crestone Energy Fair, and All Aboard Earth.
To see a timeline of various Rights of Nature
actions that have made up this movement, click here
To learn about Rights of Nature in general, please visit www.celdf.org
Walk for the rivers. Walk for the waters. Walk for our future.